Confirmed: The style of football will change

Ambitious

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part two of Thorne's interview went up. Says he was rushed back last season which is now, and I quote,

"a learning curve for myself, the physios, maybe even for the manager at the time"

Shots fired..... :ermm: Sounds like a bit of a dig to me.

i was saying that at the time but most people on here just wanted him back irrespective of the fact that he wasn't fit and they even reckoned he played well, when he didn't actually.

i was saying that at the time but most people on here just wanted him back irrespective of the fact that he wasn't fit and they even reckoned he played well, when he didn't actually.

I think it true that there were a few of us on here at the time suggesting his return in Jan/Feb had to be much too soon.  Christ, you don't have to be an orthopaedic surgeon or a football coach to know that "good' knees are an essential requirement of anyone playing Central Defensive Midfield. Goalkeepers need "strong" fists too.

Part two of Thorne's interview went up. Says he was rushed back last season which is now, and I quote,

"a learning curve for myself, the physios, maybe even for the manager at the time"

Shots fired..... :ermm: Sounds like a bit of a dig to me.

I said it all along .

I said he looked off the pace for U21s and over weight and should not be rushed back at the time. 

He is in a good place now hopefully. 

Come on George we love you lol. 

I said it all along .

I said he looked off the pace for U21s and over weight and should not be rushed back at the time. 

I watched him against Stoke U21s when we won 7-1. He made the error for the 1!! But other than that he didn't look anything other than a bit rusty. Didn't think overweight? Thorne never had blistering pace either, the WBA fans cited that as a huge weakness in his game (although I don't think so).

I watched him against Stoke U21s when we won 7-1. He made the error for the 1!! But other than that he didn't look anything other than a bit rusty. Didn't think overweight? Thorne never had blistering pace either, the WBA fans cited that as a huge weakness in his game (although I don't think so).

George was rushed back too soon because of fan pressure and the Barker to be included call didn't help either. 

I watched George and Barks U21 returns and said at the time neither were ready and got slaughtered on here  

Has Barks got a club yet ?

Looking forward to seeing George do well this season  

PS When George went off against Stoke weren't Derby losing 1-0 ! 

PS When George went off against Stoke weren't Derby losing 1-0 ! 

Ha! No, the goal he conceded took it to 1-1, and to be fair actually I think he really stepped up and was a big part of the goal just before half time to take it to 2-1 to Derby, and he went off after 45. He wasn't himself though, without doubt.

To those at the match today... What was so different about the system then? 

Still playing 433, but Baird reiterated in his post match interview that the players are trying to get used to the way the new coach  wants them to play. 

Did you see anything different today? 

I'm with you - I didn't see a difference at all. 

I thought in the first half we were playing 4-2-3-1 but it didn't work out that way. Hughes played just as deep as Hanson and Thorne. In the second half, we played with exactly the same system we had last season. Baird very much the defensive midfielder with Hendrick and Bryson in more attacking roles. Sammon used for his build up play and Weimann and Russell either side. 

Not sure if it was because we spent a lot of the second half on the front foot, but some of the time it more like 3-4-3

Carson

Albentosa-Baird-Pearce

Ssewankambo-Hendrick-Bryson-Forsyth

Russell-Sammon-Weimann

But then you could argue there were points last season where we played that way.

Wouldn't be disappointed to see that second half team line up for Bolton away, except Martin for Sammon.

Not sure if it was because we spent a lot of the second half on the front foot, but some of the time it more like 3-4-3

Carson

Albentosa-Baird-Pearce

Russell-Sammon-Weimann

But then you could argue there were points last season where we played that way.

Wouldn't be disappointed to see that second half team line up for Bolton away, except Martin for Sammon.

Ince?

PistoldPete2

Ince?

hughes? Keogh? I wasn't there or course Grimsby didn't compete with England winning the first ashes test but if there was a problem with the first half X1 it was more about balance , and maybe the fitness of Thorne. A midfield of hughes, Thorne and Hanson suffers from lack of balance and the fact that Thorne and possibly. Hughes are not fully fit. Leaving our goal scoring Kings ince and bent stranded upfield. It's only a meaningless friendly but we really do need to get the balance of the team right and oh please please hughes , martin and Thorne fully fit. 

Carson

Albentosa-Baird-Pearce

Russell-Sammon-Weimann

Ince? Hughes? Grant? 

I didn't say that was the team I would put out for Bolton, just wouldn't be disappointed if that was the case. 

Grant

Christie-Keogh-Buxton-Forsyth

Hughes-Thorne-Hendrick

Russell-Martin-Ince

SUBS: Carson, Pearce, Bryson, Warnock, Baird, Bent, Weimann

is what I am guessing will happen (injuries notwithstanding.) Given that so far, albeit only one match, our tactics from last season were much more effective in the second half than in the first, I can't see much changing. I'm not a fan of that bench, its quite old, but trying to balance cover for positions and accommodating new signings leads to that.

We'll know a little more after the Northampton game, then the Holland games.. etc etc.

Archived