Confirmed: The style of football will change

Ambitious

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The system will be similar to what we've played.

They've brought in Clement as he's the ideal candidate to fit the current Derby system, they've said so themselves. Moreover, he's trained 4-3-3 for five straight years and we have the players to play it.

Clement comes across as an intelligent guy. He's not going to rock and demand we play a 4-4-2 (a system which is both new to him training wise and new to our players, plus doesn't suit our players' attributes).

What I do expect is we'll be more compact, and perhaps more direct going forward. Real Madrid constantly worked the spaces, brining in the likes of Weimann and Ince would fit this.

And why demolish the DM role when it's arguably the most important and we have arguably the best outside the PL?

We'll go 4-3-3, or a varitation of that (4-3-2-1, 4-2-3-1). Anything other and Clement is stupidly setting himself up for failure.

The system will be similar to what we've played.

They've brought in Clement as he's the ideal candidate to fit the current Derby system, they've said so themselves. Moreover, he's trained 4-3-3 for five straight years and we have the players to play it.

Clement comes across as an intelligent guy. He's not going to rock and demand we play a 4-4-2 (a system which is both new to him training wise and new to our players, plus doesn't suit our players' attributes).

What I do expect is we'll be more compact, and perhaps more direct going forward. Real Madrid constantly worked the spaces, brining in the likes of Weimann and Ince would fit this.

And why demolish the DM role when it's arguably the most important and we have arguably the best outside the PL?

We'll go 4-3-3, or a varitation of that (4-3-2-1, 4-2-3-1). Anything other and Clement is stupidly setting himself up for failure.

I agree with everything you said but Real Madrid regularly used the 4-4-2 formation last season. In fact when Real madrid went on that 20 game unbeaten streak they used 4-4-2 as their main formation with ronaldo and benzema as the strikers, kroos and modric as the 2 cms and James+ Bale/Isco as the rms/lms. I wonder if clement may be tempted to use this formation.

I agree with everything you said but Real Madrid regularly used the 4-4-2 formation last season. In fact when Real madrid went on that 20 game unbeaten streak they used 4-4-2 as their main formation with ronaldo and benzema as the strikers, kroos and modric as the 2 cms and James+ Bale/Isco as the rms/lms. I wonder if clement may be tempted to use this formation.

I don't think they did, they certainly used 4-4-2 when defending as Gareth Bale was blasted in the media for doing a Ronaldo and not tracking back. 

They played their best football in a 4-3-3, but then again they're elite level players where they could have played any formation and still won. 

It will be interesting to see what Clement does. I just don't see how he's going to fit Bent in and not leave us vulnerable elsewhere. A diamond would leave us hopelessly exposed down the flanks.

I'm also interested to see how he makes the transition from working with a team who naturally dominated possession to working with a team who will have to work to dominate possession.

Ancelotti uses 4-3-3 when attacking but got Bale to drop in to be RM when defending (with Benzema and Ronaldo up front).

He's used a similar formation in pretty much every team he's managed since Clements been his first team coach. Really good article here highlighting how his teams have been set up: http://www.managingmadrid.com/2014/2/17/5417862/carlo-ancelotti-and-a-history-of-the-4-3-3

Tbh there is an argument for sticking with 433.

The players are suited it and know it. We had success with it.

Just omit the tactic of pushing the central defenders wide leaving a big gap down the middle.

We are the new UnReal Madrid, that is how we will aim to play. It must be quite a change because Paul Clement said it would take the whole of the PreSeason to get them to understand how he wants them to play.

I see what you did there. :thumbsup:

Archived