Our day with Mel Morris

Day

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first thoughts, didn't like the fact posts were redacted, hence why I was keen to meet Mr Morris face to face and ask him why and what upset him in the original posts, and I guess why I was invited.

The answer, from the horses mouth, was he'll accept name calling, but he won't accept accusations of impropriety. Left unchallenged, he believes the original accusation leveled against himself and others at the club could have led to FA action, however spurious, which would have distracted from our goals.

You and others may think this unlikely, as do I,  but he adopted a belt and braces approach, hence our meeting today.

I give him the benefit of the doubt, personally, as I've never been in the position of power and influence he has, one thing I'm utterly convinced of after meeting him is his first thought is for the benefit of Derby County,  not Mel Morris.

Not too sure what impropriety has or has not taken place, I am more concerned by the incompetence!

Time will tell, what with Clement now in charge, the money that is being thrown around, the new coach will be under massive pressure, if we don't go up next season - it will be a flop!

No amount of spin will be able hide the fact.

There was a nice quote by a certain Clough senior about meddling directors of football clubs!

Not too sure what impropriety has or has not taken place, I am more concerned by the incompetence!

Time will tell, what with Clement now in charge, the money that is being thrown around, the new coach will be under massive pressure, if we don't go up next season - it will be a flop!

No amount of spin will be able hide the fact.

There was a nice quote by a certain Clough senior about meddling directors of football clubs!

You don't fool me Mel. Now go to bed and get up in the morning and buy us some players.

All sounds promising. Loving the philosophy, loving the investment, loving the attention to PR with this and certainly loving the Paul Clement appointment. All boils down to winning games though. Bottom half come November and we're all left scratching our arses and looking for someone or some aspect of the set-up to blame.

All sounds promising. Loving the philosophy, loving the investment, loving the attention to PR with this and certainly loving the Paul Clement appointment. All boils down to winning games though. Bottom half come November and we're all left scratching our arses and looking for someone or some aspect of the set-up to blame.

Daveo?

ignore this i'm not quoting.

We did ask MM what he thought about Safe Standing. He said it wasn't a priority at the minute but would be guided if there was a strong fans feeling for it. Daveo will sorting a poll for it on here to help with that.

He agreed it would add to the atmosphere and income but also commented on minor safety concerns but also the difficulty in making changes of this nature in the close season.

Can someone pass a message on to Mel Morris about some fans having a ten minute guided tour of the Academy. As I go to U21 matches, what about vouchers for games attended at the Academy? Ten vouchers gives a ten minute trip round the Academy sometime. I would certainly like a look  round if there is a chance to do so.

Can someone pass a message on to Mel Morris about some fans having a ten minute guided tour of the Academy. As I go to U21 matches, what about vouchers for games attended at the Academy? Ten vouchers gives a ten minute trip round the Academy sometime. I would certainly like a look  round if there is a chance to do so.

Put this on the suggestion thread and he will see it. You will need more than minutes. 

My first thoughts, didn't like the fact posts were redacted, hence why I was keen to meet Mr Morris face to face and ask him why and what upset him in the original posts, and I guess why I was invited.

The answer, from the horses mouth, was he'll accept name calling, but he won't accept accusations of impropriety. Left unchallenged, he believes the original accusation leveled against himself and others at the club could have led to FA action, however spurious, which would have distracted from our goals.

You and others may think this unlikely, as do I,  but he adopted a belt and braces approach, hence our meeting today.

I give him the benefit of the doubt, personally, as I've never been in the position of power and influence he has, one thing I'm utterly convinced of after meeting him is his first thought is for the benefit of Derby County,  not Mel Morris.

RevelDevil - thanks for posting this. My biggest concern with MM is that he wants to be bigger than the club, and he wants it run his way rather than for the fans. This is an opinion purely based on the media stories that have come out and watching the Press Conference the other day. Although my opinion will only be changed and influenced by actions over the upcoming months and years, events like today do help contribute towards the opinions.

Too often we see other clubs with an owner step in and it is all about him. (Mike Ashley comes to mind) All stories, articles and press from the club I would personally want to see come from Rush, Clement and the media department. If Morris takes on a leadership role like a Peter Coates or a Joe Lewis or even maybe a John Henry I will be happy. If he becomes like Mile Ashley or a Tony Fernandez I will be disappointed. He may own the club, (with the others) but the club is about it's fans.

Today appears to be a step in the right direction and well done to those who went.

I should have been at this instead of my Uncle's funeral. It's what he would have wanted I'm sure, he was a Derby fan after all!

On a serious note though, I had a good feeling about the guy already so I'm glad he got the chance to convince the doubters a little. To be honest, I understand the doubt and I'm sure Mel does too which is why he sent out these invites. MM doesn't need me to be his knight in shining armour on here, but I defended him for the same reason you were doubting him, cos we all love Derby.

That's it. All that counts. That's it.

Not really sure what this 'Derby Way' is that I keep seeing mentioned.

Are we trying to be like Liverpool?

Think it's the only way of explaining how the Derby bus keeps on rolling even when the driver changes or parts needs servicing. Essentially it's like everything is sort of independent but all on the same path.

He wants it to be one club right from 7yr old to seniors. He wants the gateway into that first team to open. 

He spoke really about how McClaren worked in sort of a sphere of the first team. He wasnt looking long term. He was asked to get promotion so that was acceptable. But I think/hope it's fair to say that with more Mel Morris influence that he wants the wheels constantly rolling. No manager will come in and have everything geared towards his style. It'll always be the other way around. The manager will be brought in because he fits in with everything we have in place. 

I don't think he actually said "Derby way". He just called it "our philosophy and foundation". That's what everyone will abide to, sort of thing.

This all sounds great to me, especially promotion being an effect of everyone pulling in the same direction.

Presumably the increase in the quality, and cost of the players, means we won't have to spend a massive amount

to stay up, once we reach the promised land. 

Archived