Our day with Mel Morris

Day

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting - draw a circle with a 50m radius around both Southampton and Swansea and what is the first thing you notice about their catchment areas?

Assuming we don't want to sign sealife - we should absolutely be able to compete

You only have to go 15 miles east and you start reaching pondlife.

I guess some may see it as a step back in ambition? But after hearing his logic, as you've just explained, it makes sense. 

He made changes to conform more to the Derby way. Lay the ground work now and never need quick fixes. It seems all about building a well oiled machine that can survive bumps in the road. McClaren perhaps didn't quite conform to the bigger picture going on what Mel Morris said? To make this a club where it can survive the loss of a good coach it needs to be a club that uses all its resources. 

The complex is bloody impressive. If you can't enjoy that and show your talent there then forget it. And Mel Morris is a big part of that growth. 

When Sage mentioned Southampton's catchment area I liked how Mel reacted. "We have to compete with that. We have to compete with that"

I wouldn't mind at all following in Sourhampton's footsteps. Or Swansea. 

He did mention Stoke not being a role model exactly. I guess because the transition  they have gone through is quite a gamble? Much less smooth than Saints or Swansea? 

Ahhh. the Southampton catchment area.....all the way from Brockenhurst to Fareham

Only a small note but I spoke to him (very, very briefly) last year at the University and listened to his speech to the new business students and he is a very down to earth, comfortable speaker. It's hard not to buy into his delivery, I'm not surprised you bought into his views. I do too.

Also reassures me on Clement, the note that he was chosen due to his desire to play a certain way is a big positive. I entirely agree with a 'philosophy', rather than system switching every few years or with a new appointment, not that it shouldn't be tinkered with where necessary.

Its nice to hear that we have a genuine fan of the club at the helm.

So many football clubs now are ran by owners who have zero interest in the actual history or fans of a club, unless it is to exploit them to generate income, so as a lifelong Derby fan myself, I see the fact that MM is a genuine fan as ticking all the boxes.

The part I read about us buying players that fit the bill as a balanced unit, rather than for individual merit is very pleasing :)....... and this will be implemented to achieve "the derby way".......a philosophy of which I interpret as a similar way to how Swansea how gone about their business.

People keep asking me what I think of the Clement appointment, my response is simply that I cant comment yet! The positive backing, enthusiasm and the faith shown in him by MM can only reassure any doubts that we may all have without yet having the opportunity to see Mr Clement in action :)

As I say, this is a nice thread and positive for all of us genuine Derby fans who love the club, and that people like me who have been a season ticket holder for 21 years actually get the opportunity to voice their opinions and hear the 'ins and outs' of the people in charge. Its important to remember that this club means alot to some of us, and when the usual situation is "sit back and see what happens", its nice for US to get a chance to be involved.

I am prepared to give Mel the benefit of the doubt at this stage.  He has already, inadvertently, had some affect on my marital relationship, where my good lady of 12 years plus (that is our time together, not her age) spends I would say close to 5 hours a week now fingering his internet toy for her enjoyment, rather than playing with me. I can let that go as we all look to find a bit of internet fingering don't we, and a woman and 12 years emotional investment isn't something any real man should get too hung up about.  But if he b#ggers about with the Rams though, that would be a much more serious issue.  

You are my Derby, my only Derby, you make me happy when skies are grey.......

It was just the canteen. Salad, chicken, more salad, rice, pasta, salad with chicken. Not a chip in sight. Chris Martin must smuggle his own in

Is that it? Surely curry would be great. ;)

Was there any talk of increasing the capacity at the i pro ?

No, talked about safe standing though. He didn't seem too keen but he said if it's what fans want then that'd be looked into. That's one of the things he said to get votes on the forum for. That would change the capacity

Thought I'd post a few more impressions and information now I've had a chance to think, sorry if I repeat anything.

Academy.

Easily the most impressive part of the day, and the thing you could tell he was most proud of, with good reason. 

The attention to detail displayed, and the can do attitude of Mel shone through. At one point in the FA appraisal, they were informed it was unlikely to gain Cat 1 status without a full size outdoor 4G pitch.

No problem, within days he'd not only secured the land to build it, but got builders in to level it off ready for installation, sending the FA photos to prove it would be done within weeks. To avoid HGV's intruding on training sessions, he purchased more land and built a new supply road well away from the existing pitches to avoid disruption to the existing training ground.

Hydrotherapy centre, from nothing to finished in 20 weeks, again with no disruption to existing facilities. 

Gymnasium extended massively since his arrival, said it was little bigger than the one in his house, however I doubt he lives in a 2 bed terrace with a multi gym in the box room, so didn't mean much.

This has all come from his pocket, as a gift, and sets the academy up to be of lasting benefit to the club.

For the 1st time, an Academy player recruitment budget has been established, we'd spent less on acquisitions in 10 years than Chelsea's monthly budget for the same purpose! This budget seemed higher than some Championship clubs total budget, although Mel doesn't like the new arrangements with regard to Cat 1's being able to take other clubs youngster's easily, now we're cat 1 ourselves it makes sense to take advantage. 

To sum up, if I were a parent weighing up which academy to send my son to, I can't imagine anywhere having more wow factor than Moor Farm, if they did rooms I'd go there on holiday!

Stevie Mac.

Had a good relationship as far as I could tell, even showed evidence of this, which I can't divulge, and wouldn't hear a bad word said against the man. The reason for getting rid - it was felt that his reason for staying was loyalty, and a desire to put things right, rather than DCFC being the place he most wanted to be.

Will post more later, but realise this is already an essay, so will split into two parts.

Thought I'd post a few more impressions and information now I've had a chance to think, sorry if I repeat anything.

Academy.

Easily the most impressive part of the day, and the thing you could tell he was most proud of, with good reason. 

The attention to detail displayed, and the can do attitude of Mel shone through. At one point in the FA appraisal, they were informed it was unlikely to gain Cat 1 status without a full size outdoor 4G pitch.

No problem, within days he'd not only secured the land to build it, but got builders in to level it off ready for installation, sending the FA photos to prove it would be done within weeks. To avoid HGV's intruding on training sessions, he purchased more land and built a new supply road well away from the existing pitches to avoid disruption to the existing training ground.

Hydrotherapy centre, from nothing to finished in 20 weeks, again with no disruption to existing facilities. 

Gymnasium extended massively since his arrival, said it was little bigger than the one in his house, however I doubt he lives in a 2 bed terrace with a multi gym in the box room, so didn't mean much.

This has all come from his pocket, as a gift, and sets the academy up to be of lasting benefit to the club.

For the 1st time, an Academy player recruitment budget has been established, we'd spent less on acquisitions in 10 years than Chelsea's monthly budget for the same purpose! This budget seemed higher than some Championship clubs total budget, although Mel doesn't like the new arrangements with regard to Cat 1's being able to take other clubs youngster's easily, now we're cat 1 ourselves it makes sense to take advantage. 

To sum up, if I were a parent weighing up which academy to send my son to, I can't imagine anywhere having more wow factor than Moor Farm, if they did rooms I'd go there on holiday!

Stevie Mac.

Had a good relationship as far as I could tell, even showed evidence of this, which I can't divulge, and wouldn't hear a bad word said against the man. The reason for getting rid - it was felt that his reason for staying was loyalty, and a desire to put things right, rather than DCFC being the place he most wanted to be.

Will post more later, but realise this is already an essay, so will split into two parts.

where is the go pro footage bru? As far as I'm concerned you guys work for the same agency as @GreenRam said. 

Your innuendo of i can't reveal this sucks. It's better to tell us what you saw without your input would have been much more appreciated. 

Sounds pr.

I would like to hear an impartial voice without opinion. 

Without meaning to be negative - doesn't this all add up to people who have never been involved in the game as players, coaches or manager taking all the key decisions? New managers have to fit in with the club philosophy - what if that is wrong? New managers have to accept the playing staff already here - what if those players are rubbish?

I'm not saying that the approach can't work - it clearly has at Southampton and Swansea, yet it's also easy to real off the names of clubs where owners have called the shots and made the team worse. It all comes down to the quality of the decisions made, not the system for making the decisions.

I've met Sam Rush on several occasions and never felt anything other than admiration, but I always got the feeling that he saw his job as ensuring we had the right manager and then supporting him in every way possible. I can't fault Mel Morris for his enthusiasm or commitment and if it works we just might see DCFC competing in Europe again. But I'm far from convinced that reducing the influence of the manager is a good idea.

As Needles said earlier, it'll all come down to results.

We would never have had the most successful period in our history with this structure .Brian, god bless him would never have put up with it. 

I have to say though as good as he was, his methods would not work with the current over paid prima donna's in the  game today.

Time will tell with the current set up and it has my support.

where is the go pro footage bru? As far as I'm concerned you guys work for the same agency as @GreenRam said. 

Your innuendo of i can't reveal this sucks. It's better to tell us what you saw without your input would have been much more appreciated. 

Sounds pr.

I would like to hear an impartial voice without opinion. 

As someone I know has read my posts in the past, how dare you accuse me of being professional in any way shape or form!

This entire (well...ish) thread has filled me with positivity...

To the representatives of our (not so) humble forum who went... many thanks for the update and sounds like good news all round...

My dad has been after a proper fan at the helm of the club for a while now so he's happy...

Archived