Our day with Mel Morris

Day

Gutted.

the number of times i nearly made a donation to the forum and all.

anyway.....they seem to have come back with bugger all info.

never mind the new turf.......

whats happening with Simmo?

why did mcclaren get the push?

shackell? 

Ince?

weimann?

Is it safe yet to tell us why he did a Gabbo?

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be alright but we'd already met Steele and Bryson and had been chatting to Mel for the tour of the complex...

Bit gutted about that. 

The most reassuring thing for me is he spoke about having a philosophy in place. Everyone that comes into the club has to fit into that philosophy. Mel was dead keen to talk about leadership. About setting the right example. 

He's a Derby fan. He is a Derby fan too. If he spoke about something he didn't like then he'd call it ****. He's come in, put his money where his mouth is and has a goal in mind. No nonsense 

And it's not this Tom Glick global brand. He's setting "The Derby way". A style of football from the kids to the seniors. A specific type of player brought in. A specific type of coach. Leaders are important to him. 

Think I realised that a certain amount of... meddling? (need a better word) is neccessary to avoid any upheaval. For Derby to run like a well oiled machine you need to have parameters set. So where this manager or that player might be available, he has to fit in. No manager will come in and rule it. Like Mel said, he can't. It needs to be a smooth running vehicle and nobody has the time or skills to cover everything. Certain things will be put in place. Certain codes and certain people doing the jobs they're good at. 

Mel Morris is dead set on this Derby way. You look around the facilities, listen to him talk and realise what he's putting into it, him and others. Paul Clement wasn't brought in to lead the way. He just conforms to it. Lots of cogs all turning the same way. They won't stop without Clement and they didn't stop without McClaren. 

That's not to say hes taking power. He's letting everyone do what they can do but they have to fit. 

As well as having the Newcastle distraction I think McClaren was in a position where he ticked less boxes than Clement. Mel spoke of not instant success but more about growth. Constant growth. 

McClaren's goal was instant impact. A lot of good stuff happened in his 20 (?)months. Mel supported McClaren. But just a couple of niggles here and there that didn't really fit the leadership and club integration... bye bye, good luck. 

I think Sir Matt was always just angling for a Sir Matt Busby Way. He must have died a happy man.

Aw come on I-Ram, he was a pioneer, he believed in the European Cup and got a hard time from Alan Hardacre then the top man at the football league. Did you know Hardacre brought in the League Cup solely to try and avert english teams competing against Europe's best.

By the way, I did get the Sir Matt Busby Way reference, I think I might even give it a like. :) 

Surely the only way this club can progress is to get promotion ... anything less is failure imo spec with the players we have. On our day we could beat any team in this leauge easily

Cause and effect.

Improve everything about the club - players, staff, coaching, atmosphere, support….

Promotion is then an inevitable by-product.

If the clubs transfer policy is anything like the selection of fans for an open day pr exercise then god help us. 

They only invited the gullible

:p

Cause and effect.

Improve everything about the club - players, staff, coaching, atmosphere, support….

Promotion is then an inevitable by-product.

This is the way clubs need to start going, if clubs keep changing philosophy and structure every time a new manager comes in, you can never really lay a claim to be any better than the clubs that are of a similar size to you. But if we actually have a philosophy that starts with the kids and is ingrained into the club, we can actually proudly talk about Derby being a constantly well run club rather than like every other club pretty much dipping in and out of good and bad spells management/ direction wise. Obviously even if you do have the right ethos and philosophy through out the club, it doesn't mean we will suddenly start winning trophies and become a premier league main stay, but it will all work towards that and give us a club to be constantly proud of and hopefully always be past into the right hands at every level when people do eventually move on from Mel to Paul to Lee Glover etc.

Will MM be posing in front of a We8Forest flag a la Fawaz??

I prefer our directors/owners etc to keep out of the limelight and not suck up to fans (until they've achieved something!), all he's done thus far is sack the best coach we've had in a decades.

Hoping he does well though, seeing as though he's reading this ;-)

That's a clever way of fishing for an invite. :D

Gutted.

the number of times i nearly made a donation to the forum and all.

anyway.....they seem to have come back with bugger all info.

never mind the new turf.......

whats happening with Simmo?

We didn't ask. It;s difficult as you're talking about people's contracts.

why did mcclaren get the push?

Because it was felt he wanted to go and wasn't as committed as they wanted. They didn't criticise him at all.

shackell? 

Ince?

weimann?

Yes we are trying to sign them. They don't want to talk about specific targets and are frustrated at things coming out in the press.

Is it safe yet to tell us why he did a Gabbo?

Gabbo?

If I don,t like what is being written, I will have it removed!

My first thoughts, didn't like the fact posts were redacted, hence why I was keen to meet Mr Morris face to face and ask him why and what upset him in the original posts, and I guess why I was invited.

The answer, from the horses mouth, was he'll accept name calling, but he won't accept accusations of impropriety. Left unchallenged, he believes the original accusation leveled against himself and others at the club could have led to FA action, however spurious, which would have distracted from our goals.

You and others may think this unlikely, as do I,  but he adopted a belt and braces approach, hence our meeting today.

I give him the benefit of the doubt, personally, as I've never been in the position of power and influence he has, one thing I'm utterly convinced of after meeting him is his first thought is for the benefit of Derby County,  not Mel Morris.

It seems that Mel likes the step by step approach. I do wonder though whether he has any real concept of levels. He doesn't seem to be aware that when you achieve a level, there is another level ahead, and it is likely to be a little bit more difficult next time. Ultimately you have to ask yourself whether this is just a game for Mel where he is setting us up for a journey of small increases of level, which whilst exciting means little after a while if you still haven't won **** all.

All of this is positive and can only help to get everybody pulling in the same direction.

It sounds like he has a real vision of how he wants the club to work and we can only hope his positivity rubs off on the rest of the people at the club and some of the moaning gits in the stands.

Any bloke the dips into his own pocket to buy much needed machinery for the Hospital to help the people of Derby is ok in my books.

Last week Mel emailed me inviting myself and a few members down to Moor Farm, some of the initial members he invited were unavailable.

Myself, Boycie, Sage, uttoxram75 Alpha Signia and RevilDevil attended, before anyone moans I didn't pick them, this is something Mel is looking to do again in the future.

The only thing I would like to add: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VHyKtyJPxY 

<_<

Archived