Our day with Mel Morris

Day

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over a week ago I was suggesting that he might be meddling too much. Not after listening to him.

He has a vision where kids as young as 7 will be developed in the direction of the way the first team plays. As young as 7. Youth players recruited won't just come in because they're good.  They have to be the type of player that fits the first team. Not an 15 year old tank who's just grown fast and has bullied his way up and will be the next Crouch. 

He spoke about wanting to bring the average age of the u21's down to 19. He said there's no point having lads that are much older playing in there because if they aren't pushing strongly towards first team football at 21 then perhaps they won't meet the required level at 24/25 which is a good average age for the seniors. 

anyone who played fm knows this. 

its obvious that the invited group is in thrall to MM. But there are some strange ideas in there.

What's this idea of filming everything? It sounds as if this is more the sort of thing that was being referred to when SR said that Schteve didn't buy into everything.Filming stuff smacks of control freakery. 

"And everyone needs to be on the same boat. All banging the same drum" 

its obvious that the invited group is in thrall to MM. But there are some strange ideas in there.

What's this idea of filming everything? It sounds as if this is more the sort of thing that was being referred to when SR said that Schteve didn't buy into everything.Filming stuff smacks of control freakery. 

Yeah Mac wouldn't have it. Clement straight away said "Why wouldn't you do that"

If coaches want to review any sessions or pick out any tendencies or make any comparisons its all right there. 

Same reason as they record the league games and watch them back I guess?

aids the coaching staff.

catches players having a fag at the back of the undersoil heating plant room too.

Is that where Daveo had a piss when he needed some "air". 

Wonder if its on cctv?

I like the guy and his approach. Got me believing once again after last seasons end of season shambles.

I'm glad he's a Derby fan makes it more the better can't wait for the new season.

I don't get all this negative stuff I can kind of see where you are coming from but some seem a little bit jealous? Not sure. Great reads thoe!

Is that where Daveo had a piss when he needed some "air". 

Wonder if its on cctv?

I pissed like a camel when I got to the pub! 

If I have to criticise Moor Farm for one thing it's a lack of a bog, I'm sure there's one there but it's well hidden.

Being totally honest I didn't fancy standing at the Urinal and Martin coming for a pee and standing next to me, probably would have turned to shake his hand whilst in full flow and piss up his leg

The point about a gateway to the first team is an important one. Developing a playing style across all levels is paramount. Mel Morris has a fantastic vision for the club, let's be honest. If Johann Cruyff, Rinus Michaels, Franz Hoek and the Coerver enthusiasts had come to Derby instead of Barcelona, then they'd be saying and doing exactly what Mel wants to do with us. To critique it, and say, let the experts decide is really daft or just cynical for cynicism's sake, and really not the Derby way is it. I think we are blessed to have a true Derby supporter and businessman who has embraced the Brian Clough way of playing and sees the value of developing youth, the Dutch method.  Reports from those that went to visit with him are really reassuring

McClaren and co made us very nervous i am sure when they started banging on about how we just had to get results, and keep clean sheets bla bla bla. Play with panache, like Leicester and Bournemouth did and you win the league going away. We need to do what those teams did, but build a foundation that is bigger and better than both of them and surpasses Swansea and Southampton too. 

Now we just have to see if Paul Clement can keep the faith, show tactical astuteness and bring the best out of his players. Let's hope he will. 

I read that it had the second highest catchment area in the country. How far is it to the nearest club bigger than Southampton?

Oxlade-Chamberlain - Portsmouth

Gareth Bale - Cardiff

Theo Walcott - Oxford/Berkshire border

Adam Lallana - Bournemouth

Do you know which club has the highest catchment area?

Having a catchment area is a different thing to scouting your recruits from far and wide. But it is less congested clubs-wise in the South. When I first moved to Southampton, the locals proudly informed me they were then "the biggest club South of London"

To your questions.

The local clubs are East - Portsmouth 20 miles, not big now but have been bigger in the recent past. West - Bournemouth 25 miles. Not traditionally big but now a premiership outfit with ambitions. North, Reading- 45 miles. Similar to Portsmouth.

Which club has the highest catchment area? If you mean in terms of population that would naturally affiliate with said club then I'd guess one of the London clubs. If you mean inn terms of geographical area in which no other league club is competing then maybe something like Plymouth?

I think you're stats are highly illuminating as they show how it is possible for clubs to recruit from outside what people would naturally regard as a "catchment area". Why were Cardiff not picking up Bale etc..... All of which probably suggests there is no such thing as a "catchment area" anymore - all the clubs scout everywhere and players sign for either the one with the best pitch to them or the biggest dollop of dosh.

Dunno what citation means, but I doubt Clement's choosing the players we sign, he's just a coach. It looks like Rush, Morris and Evans are choosing the signings, time will tell if that's a good thing.

What can possibly be wrong with this approach ? Ferguson , Marinho , Wenger ,all the best managers work this way?

Dunno what citation means, but I doubt Clement's choosing the players we sign, he's just a coach. It looks like Rush, Morris and Evans are choosing the signings, time will tell if that's a good thing.

You need to justify your statement that he is 'looking like a puppet'.

It has been said that Clement has approved the transfer targets, and that it is up to Evans and Rush to acquire said targets. Sounds like a team effort to me.

I pissed like a camel when I got to the pub! 

If I have to criticise Moor Farm for one thing it's a lack of a bog, I'm sure there's one there but it's well hidden.

Being totally honest I didn't fancy standing at the Urinal and Martin coming for a pee and standing next to me, probably would have turned to shake his hand whilst in full flow and piss up his leg

And if the encounter wasn't intimidating enough, I imagine he has a huge wang.

What's interesting to me, is that you've all been invited in at the dawn of a new era, and all that's really being judged here is "the vision" or "the plan". It's almost impossible to argue with that right now, as we haven't kicked a ball yet in this new era - and MM is clearly passionate about his vision (and why wouldn't he be?)

Let's all enjoy the moment - because if we go on a bad run of games, anything could happen. I'm not trying to bring everyone down, but I think we've all been Rams fans long enough to know that nothing ever goes exactly to plan.

For me the proof in Mel Morris's pudding will not be in his up-front commitment to the plan, but in how he handles the situation in future if/when things don't go quit according to the plan.

I think Mel Morris is planning to be Chairman for a very long time. He is an entrepreneur with great Business acumen. He may not yet have realised that some of his ideas may become common if they are seen to work well. He may prove to be a maverick genius for being a Chairman without realising that his ideas are groundbreaking. I can easily think of some previous Derby managers who may not have been flexible enough to cope with his approach. Clement just wants to get the team right and will get all the help that he needs. Mel may end up with the most integrated fan base in football. Daveo could be on of the voices of Derby's fans and get a chance to put regular input into an evolving Club that has unprecedented unity..He who pays the piper calls the tune but if the tune is right then we will all happily sing it.

let's not get too starry eyed. I like some of what I hear. What concerns me is the degree to which MM (non executive chairman) is letting SR do his job as executive.  

Non executives set strategy and then hold executive to account for delivery and performance manage. Not clear to me how much that is the case and how much MM straying into executive territory  (question then is who holds him to account within governance structure, who challenges, which is necessary to have consistently good decisions). If MM is genuinely allowing SR to do job then great.

It is fine if MM does have a hands on role in some areas but then I'd expect other non execs to scrutinise his work in those areas and challenge etc.

It has been said that Clement has approved the transfer targets, and that it is up to Evans and Rush to acquire said targets. Sounds like a team effort to me.

Clement does what he's told, citation needed

So he was approving targets before he was manager ?.

Archived