Our day with Mel Morris

Day

Really like what I'm reading. Especially the focus on this "Derby way" which is about the right character and philosophy. I think one of our strengths recently had been the unity of the dressing room, and I felt this slipping away in the latter half of the season. Would love to see everyone fighting for each other again, and feel as proud of the team as I did leaving Wembley 12 months ago (albeit bitter-sweetly).

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great read, with Rush and Morris we really are in good hands. Any idea if he wants to buy the club outright? I personally would like the american's to stay, until we've got to the premiership. They've put a lot of time in and ran the club extremely well. 

Giles Barnes' return video..?

No, just wumming, Giles Barnes did come up, Mel gave us a very reasoned response why we should sign him, then after convincing me why we should,said it wouldn't happen!

Giles seems very happy where he is, this subject seemed to arouse some of the most passionate response from MM, think Giles is best left where he is.

I just thought I would pop back on here. Bit quieter now. I had to check with @JW what all the noise I could hear was, and whether I was cracking up, but he agreed that the constant popping noise I could hear was the egos of posters who didn't get invited today. For the record me and JW were busy in a meeting with Brett stateside. We were drinking JD in a hot tub that American Ram could only dream of.

This was the one thing that stood out for me, Mac's target, set by the board,of which Morris wasn't a part at the time, was promotion, nothing more or less.

Clements goal is somewhat different, solid measurable progress throughout the entire club, easily measurable and not just at the sharp end. 

If Clement meets these targets, league position and points tally is irrelevant, meet the objectives and promotion becomes a by product of the progress, rather than the goal.

I guess some may see it as a step back in ambition? But after hearing his logic, as you've just explained, it makes sense. 

He made changes to conform more to the Derby way. Lay the ground work now and never need quick fixes. It seems all about building a well oiled machine that can survive bumps in the road. McClaren perhaps didn't quite conform to the bigger picture going on what Mel Morris said? To make this a club where it can survive the loss of a good coach it needs to be a club that uses all its resources. 

The complex is bloody impressive. If you can't enjoy that and show your talent there then forget it. And Mel Morris is a big part of that growth. 

When Sage mentioned Southampton's catchment area I liked how Mel reacted. "We have to compete with that. We have to compete with that"

I wouldn't mind at all following in Sourhampton's footsteps. Or Swansea. 

He did mention Stoke not being a role model exactly. I guess because the transition  they have gone through is quite a gamble? Much less smooth than Saints or Swansea? 

I just thought I would pop back on here. Bit quieter now. I had to check with @JW what all the noise I could hear was, and whether I was cracking up, but he agreed that the constant popping noise I could hear was the egos of posters who didn't get invited today. For the record me and JW were busy in a meeting with Brett stateside. We were drinking JD in a hot tub that American Ram could only dream of.

I'd love to have look round Moor Farm, get a feel for how the lads go about training and that. 

When I was chauffeuring I had a job driving round the Trinidad and Tobago manager, Bertile St Clair, lovely man, liked Bob Marley on the CD player, anyway, I took him to Charlton, West Ham and Watford's training grounds and just found the whole vibe really interesting.

I would like to add though this ain't a plea for an invite as I don't get to many games now with one thing and another and I would never accept one in front of the guys (and Ladies) that go regularly either at home or fork out for away games.

Loving what I've read, I said the other day, this is a great time to be a Ram.

COYR.

I guess some may see it as a step back in ambition? But after hearing his logic, as you've just explained, it makes sense. 

He made changes to conform more to the Derby way. Lay the ground work now and never need quick fixes. It seems all about building a well oiled machine that can survive bumps in the road. McClaren perhaps didn't quite conform to the bigger picture going on what Mel Morris said? To make this a club where it can survive the loss of a good coach it needs to be a club that uses all its resources. 

The complex is bloody impressive. If you can't enjoy that and show your talent there then forget it. And Mel Morris is a big part of that growth. 

When Sage mentioned Southampton's catchment area I liked how Mel reacted. "We have to compete with that. We have to compete with that"

I wouldn't mind at all following in Sourhampton's footsteps. Or Swansea. 

He did mention Stoke not being a role model exactly. I guess because the transition  they have gone through is quite a gamble? Much less smooth than Saints or Swansea? 

Swansea and Southampton are fantastic examples to follow, set out a way of playing and an ethos around the club and each time a manager left the next one in matched it perfectly allowing them to make seamless progression up the leagues.

Will MM be posing in front of a We8Forest flag a la Fawaz??

I prefer our directors/owners etc to keep out of the limelight and not suck up to fans (until they've achieved something!), all he's done thus far is sack the best coach we've had in a decades.

Hoping he does well though, seeing as though he's reading this ;-)

Please please please Mel don't invite RLACML -JW- and davenportram at the same time as me (just in case) I just want to avoid them. Many thanks DEL.

Lol.

I think Mel is intelligent enough not to invite someone who can't string a legible sentence together.

Will MM be posing in front of a We8Forest flag a la Fawaz??

I prefer our directors/owners etc to keep out of the limelight and not suck up to fans (until they've achieved something!), all he's done thus far is sack the best coach we've had in a decades.

Hoping he does well though, seeing as though he's reading this ;-)

Absolutely.  There's something just awful about owners trying to be down with the fans. The fans role is one thing, the owners role is quite different. That doesn't mean they can't interact and have a good dialogue (I like that the club are making efforts to engage fans). It's sort of like you'd rather your boss be professional and confidence inspiring than trying to be your buddy (IMO).

Sir Matt Busby talked about the "Manchester United way" a long time before Liverpool had "a way" I'd rather we copied Sir Matt's way than anything from Liverpool. :)

I think Sir Matt was always just angling for a Sir Matt Busby Way. He must have died a happy man.

Archived