Our day with Mel Morris

Day

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off the top of my head I would guess that Newcastle Utd probably have the largest catchment in terms of population?

Doubt it - they have the same issue with half their catchment area being in the North Sea

The clubs with the widest clearing of landmass before you hit another club are probably Norwich city and Lincoln City!

Doubt it - they have the same issue with half their catchment area being in the North Sea

Maybe so, but there is a big population north of Sunderland / East of Carlisle and South of Edinburgh. With major urban areas such as Newcastle itself plus Gateshead, North & South Shields, the population must be approaching 750k with one major team to service it.

Like I said, it was off the top of my head and I may be wrong. Leeds will be a big one as well, even taking into account the proximity of other towns & teams.

Very interesting read, thanks to those who went.

Find it remarkable that some are finding negatives in Mel Morris and the role he's taken at the club, he's obviously taking a non executive position and as such laying out a very clear vision and strategy for the club. Of course it doesn't necessarily mean we will be successful but it looks like a very progressive approach.

If people can't see the difference between a man who engages with the fans to share his thoughts and hear theirs, and him down the road who just tells them what they want to hear then there's no helping them....

Very interesting read, thanks to those who went.

Find it remarkable that some are finding negatives in Mel Morris and the role he's taken at the club, he's obviously taking a non executive position and as such laying out a very clear vision and strategy for the club. Of course it doesn't necessarily mean we will be successful but it looks like a very progressive approach.

If people can't see the difference between a man who engages with the fans to share his thoughts and hear theirs, and him down the road who just tells them what they want to hear then there's no helping them....

I love all he seems to be doing... I just am wary of what happens if he walks away. He invested when we were in the Prem last time then pulled out when we weren't, he came back this time 2 days before a Play off Final. Can see he only wants one thing.

I love all he seems to be doing... I just am wary of what happens if he walks away. He invested when we were in the Prem last time then pulled out when we weren't, he came back this time 2 days before a Play off Final. Can see he only wants one thing.

are you sure?  I thought he invested in the Billy Davies promotion season. 

Clement does what he's told, citation needed

So he was approving targets before he was manager ?.

Isn't it for you two to back up your assertions? You seem to have your own agenda and/or to have made your minds up, so why don't you put your heads together and come up with a collective justification of your statements and implied innuendo that Clement is a puppet to do the triumvirate's bidding?

If you maintain that there is a god, then it's not a valid argument to demand that doubters prove that there isn't, then try to use the absence of proof as justification of your original argument.

Can anyone from that meeting hint what other players we are interested in? Or wasn't it discussed?

Unlikely, since they said they don't like speculation on possible targets pushing the prices up.

let's not get too starry eyed. I like some of what I hear. What concerns me is the degree to which MM (non executive chairman) is letting SR do his job as executive.  

Non executives set strategy and then hold executive to account for delivery and performance manage. Not clear to me how much that is the case and how much MM straying into executive territory  (question then is who holds him to account within governance structure, who challenges, which is necessary to have consistently good decisions). If MM is genuinely allowing SR to do job then great.

It is fine if MM does have a hands on role in some areas but then I'd expect other non execs to scrutinise his work in those areas and challenge etc.

I spent some time as a CEO being micro managed by a non-exec chairman. However, he would not use the sort of language being spoken by Mel so it sounds as though Sam has a much better chance than I had.

If Sam doesn't like it then he walks. If Mel thinks that Sam is unnecessary (because Mel has become too executive) then he will stop paying him.

They could drop a hint though. Like "we're signing a RB from the prem" or "Chasing a very good CB" ect

Why would they risk spending thousands more to appease a few impatient fans? Just wait until the player has been announced. 

I'm actually heartend by what I've read from those who visited. 

Looks like a fan who is doing a better job than most of the rest of us fans if we had his money and were in charge of the Rams. Taking a balanced approach and letting the professionals do their job is the right thing to do. If he wants to leave a legacy then let him. We all talk fondly of Lionel's legacy before the final demise, why shouldn't we talk about Mel in the same light if he's put structure and money in. 

Is it all perfect- no, we are not 20 points clear before our final home game against Ipswich yet and getting ready for the worlds maddest celebration. However, I'd rather be where we are now with Mels involvement and Rush and Clements than any other Championship team. In fact over half the premier league given the state most of them are in. 

Being a realist looking forward to next year even more now. 

Why would they risk spending thousands more to appease a few impatient fans? Just wait until the player has been announced. 

"They" was referring to those that went that might have talked about players coming in.

Knowing we are "Interested in a CB" is not going to ramp up anything.

Why? For my amusement :) 

"They" was referring to those that went that might have talked about players coming in.

Knowing we are "Interested in a CB" is not going to ramp up anything.

Why? For my amusement :) 

Why would the forum members breach the club's trust like that?

Of course it will. Most of the time, it's not exactly difficult to know who people are talking about in clues.

Archived