Our day with Mel Morris

Day

Part Two

The Derby Way.

Much seems to have been made of this so far, it's simply the way all teams should be set up to play football imo, played on the deck with a technical emphasis, it's not a Mel Morris invention.

The part which maybe sets a new course for us is the intention to see this style throughout the club, and every age level relating and interacting with each other, rather than the 1st team being a stand alone entity.

Development sides at all ages of course should play technical, pleasing on the eye football, and young players should be encouraged to express themselves, no point doing that however if the 1st team take a different path, chasing the short term gain of promotion, or survival once up. This is where I feel there's been a change of approach, from now on the head coach will fit the club's philosophy, rather than the club altering to every new managers ways.

Maclaren focused almost completely on the 1st team, with a passing interest in the 21's, as he had to do I suppose with his only target promotion, as laid down by his employers.

Mel wishes to film every pre match team briefing, and the post game debrief, to share amongst the academy coaches to further enhance their knowledge, when he floated this idea to Mac, he got a firm no, with Clement it was 'Why wouldn't you do that?'. He also expressed the desire to periodically invite a group of fans, maybe 300 or so, to the Ipro to view these talks, along with watching the relevent match highlights, so we fans could gain a better insight into how the team had been set up for certain games, and see the difference perhaps in how we wanted to play and how we actually performed, another example of him bringing the fans into the club in an innovative way.

The new approach, as laid down by the senior management team, not just MM, is best summed up by Clement spending more time with Wassell on his 1st day in post than Mac spent with him in his entire tenure, not a criticism of Mac btw, just a sign of a new approach.

I've read the odd opinion so far, how can a man with no professional football background dictate how a football club should be run, just open your wallet Mel and keep yer gob shut.

I thought this too, but on meeting the man and hearing what he has to say, it isn't the case at all.

He sets the agenda at the club, in collaboration with Sam Rush and others, but let's the pros get on with their job, whilst looking for opportunities to use his management skills to help in whatever way he can. Just because these are skills learned in a different environment doesn't mean they're not a useful tool to have around the club, some examples he gave of working directly with the players and staff were really thought provoking, we'd be fools not to utilise his evident talents when they're offered.

He spoke very warmly of Sam Rush, not only was he the right man now, Mel sees him as integral to the club in 10 years time.

A.O.B.

Not the majority shareholder by any means, could buy Ronaldo if he wanted, but concerned about bringing in a player of an obviously different level to the existing squad. Told him not to worry, soon have C-Ron up to Bucko standard!

Fully paid up member of the Dawkins man love brigade, thinks Martin could be every bit as good as Viduka.

Might want to get his cars exhaust looked at, sounded a bit blowy to me, and just in case anyone thinks this is an open love letter to Mel, I did notice that in the gymnasium mirrors I couldn't see his reflection!

Mind you, I couldn't see Boycie's either!

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok....i understand his passion and his pride in the academy etc, but still not sure whether he is a bit over sensitive to criticism.

it sounds like he doesn't hang around waiting for planning permission either.

Also as a rule directors do need to back off a bit and let managers manage.

its actually a failing if directors want to micro manage and stir the pot. Ultimately it could undermine PC.

apart from that....

its strange that schteve wasn't really into the academy and yoof as his Boro side was renowned for producing players born within a 30 mile radius of the ground.

Part Two

The Derby Way.

Much seems to have been made of this so far, it's simply the way all teams should be set up to play football imo, played on the deck with a technical emphasis, it's not a Mel Morris invention.

The part which maybe sets a new course for us is the intention to see this style throughout the club, and every age level relating and interacting with each other, rather than the 1st team being a stand alone entity.

Development sides at all ages of course should play technical, pleasing on the eye football, and young players should be encouraged to express themselves, no point doing that however if the 1st team take a different path, chasing the short term gain of promotion, or survival once up. This is where I feel there's been a change of approach, from now on the head coach will fit the club's philosophy, rather than the club altering to every new managers ways.

Maclaren focused almost completely on the 1st team, with a passing interest in the 21's, as he had to do I suppose with his only target promotion, as laid down by his employers.

Mel wishes to film every pre match team briefing, and the post game debrief, to share amongst the academy coaches to further enhance their knowledge, when he floated this idea to Mac, he got a firm no, with Clement it was 'Why wouldn't you do that?'. He also expressed the desire to periodically invite a group of fans, maybe 300 or so, to the Ipro to view these talks, along with watching the relevent match highlights, so we fans could gain a better insight into how the team had been set up for certain games, and see the difference perhaps in how we wanted to play and how we actually performed, another example of him bringing the fans into the club in an innovative way.

The new approach, as laid down by the senior management team, not just MM, is best summed up by Clement spending more time with Wassell on his 1st day in post than Mac spent with him in his entire tenure, not a criticism of Mac btw, just a sign of a new approach.

I've read the odd opinion so far, how can a man with no professional football background dictate how a football club should be run, just open your wallet Mel and keep yer gob shut.

I thought this too, but on meeting the man and hearing what he has to say, it isn't the case at all.

He sets the agenda at the club, in collaboration with Sam Rush and others, but let's the pros get on with their job, whilst looking for opportunities to use his management skills to help in whatever way he can. Just because these are skills learned in a different environment doesn't mean they're not a useful tool to have around the club, some examples he gave of working directly with the players and staff were really thought provoking, we'd be fools not to utilise his evident talents when they're offered.

He spoke very warmly of Sam Rush, not only was he the right man now, Mel sees him as integral to the club in 10 years time.

A.O.B.

Not the majority shareholder by any means, could buy Ronaldo if he wanted, but concerned about bringing in a player of an obviously different level to the existing squad. Told him not to worry, soon have C-Ron up to Bucko standard!

Fully paid up member of the Dawkins man love brigade, thinks Martin could be every bit as good as Viduka.

Might want to get his cars exhaust looked at, sounded a bit blowy to me, and just in case anyone thinks this is an open love letter to Mel, I did notice that in the gymnasium mirrors I couldn't see his reflection!

Mind you, I couldn't see Boycie's either!

I have to say I always had you down as a bit of idiot Rev, but obviously Daveo recognised that you had some latent talent and took you along as the note taker ?

Can someone pass a message on to Mel Morris about some fans having a ten minute guided tour of the Academy. As I go to U21 matches, what about vouchers for games attended at the Academy? Ten vouchers gives a ten minute trip round the Academy sometime. I would certainly like a look  round if there is a chance to do so.

Put this on the suggestion thread and he will see it.  

I have to say I always had you down as a bit of idiot Rev, but obviously Daveo recognised that you had some latent talent and took you along as the note taker ?

Thats the nicest thing you've ever said to me I-ram, love you too.

See you at the promotion party on your shingle beach, perhaps?

Ahhh. the Southampton catchment area.....all the way from Brockenhurst to Fareham

I read that it had the second highest catchment area in the country. How far is it to the nearest club bigger than Southampton?

Oxlade-Chamberlain - Portsmouth

Gareth Bale - Cardiff

Theo Walcott - Oxford/Berkshire border

Adam Lallana - Bournemouth

Do you know which club has the highest catchment area?

Why has my emoticon (?) which I rarely use changed to a question mark?  I wouldn't want Rev to think I actually thought he was an idiot, or indeed a bit thereof.  In fact for the record I understand him to be a very nice man.

Thats the nicest thing you've ever said to me I-ram, love you too.

See you at the promotion party on your shingle beach, perhaps?

I have actually done an update below, or above? 

You are always welcome to my private beach my Funk Soul Brother, which is actually sandy (bought in, proper tidy). I obviously don't mix with the general riff raff of Brighton, but you, I and my neighbour Fatboy can play some tunes and build sand castles on that final away day of the season.

P.s. Bloody emoticons don't work on iPad either Daveo!!!!!

I may have been brainwashed by PR although I'd like to think it's because Mel spoke sense with regards to Manager/Head Coach. I have always been let the manager take control and the men in suits sit in the background signing the cheques. I guess with the money in football now the men in suits need to look after their money and make sure it's invested wisely. Sounds scary but when you look at top clubs around Europe it's not really any different. 

"The Derby Way" is to play attractive football, on the ground and not in the air, the club wants to bring in players and staff that can all continue this philosophy which is one of the big reasons Clement stood out from other candidates. The club don't want to effectively hit the restart button with every manager, throw money at them and sit back and watch it go down the toilet. Sam Allardyce was mentioned as the kind of manager that wouldn't suit Derby and the way the club wants to play.

The club don't want to force promotion, with a manager like Sam, playing unattractive football in a desperate bid to go up, Mel said that clearly he wants promotion but he wants it in the right way, be it this season, next or the season after. 

Chris Evens and Sam Rush work together on bringing players to the club and Clement (pretty tall he is as well you know) has seen the shortlist and has approved it. Was also mentioned the stick Evens has taken and how unfair it was, apparently he's mobbed when he goes to other clubs, highly respected and his contact book is bulging. 

Quick one on Evens, things keep popping into my head! some of our signings have been criticised, one being Shotton, I like this bit as it confirmed what I've always thought about having a settled back 4. Shotton has admitted his season hasn't been great but said give him 4 games, just 4 games with the same player in front and to the side of him and he'll show you what he can do. A settled back 4 is something we didn't have after the turn of the year. It's clear now that this is also important to the players as well and when you have a keeper carrying a knee problem doesn't help either!

Christie was also given a mention, Wisdom who? at the start of the season, his form when he had Ward in front of him compared to Russell and Ince that didn't track back as much. Players form chemistry, Brayford and Coutts anyone? 

Like I say I came away thinking he made sense and won't see us back in another Jewell situation again.

Oh and he also get's frustrated and in his words when we "fanny" around the box and nobody takes a shot. I like the guy, down to earth, not anything like I expected him to be. Could have been sat a pub in jeans and t shirt, had the same conversation. To give us fans 2 and a half hours as well in what is a busy time for the club, not once feeling like we outstayed our welcome looking at his watch or anything was really appreciated by all there.

And a quick word on the invites as I've seen it mentioned, like I say I had an email and Mel reads the forum and chose members to attend, couple couldn't go which I replaced, he wanted to see a couple that have different views to give him a chance to answer anything that was bothering them. It wasn't a fun day out for members that brown nose me! I understand a lot of you would have wanted an opportunity like this and he is looking to do more in the future not just with this forum but all fans, they want to be as transparent as possible and let fans see just how the club works. 

I was going to do a write up but I've said most already, I'll just chime in and reply, maybe expand on what others said, not being able to take notes little things keep coming back to me. Had around 7 pints after as well so it's coming back slower than usual!

quick question, can non members see everything posted?  Can a random visitor to this forum read every post? 

Might be worth locking off the transfer rumours section to members only, Mel might be happy.  

I've deliberately waited a day or two to post my own personal feelings on our visit to Moor Park because you can be swayed by the intensity of listening to someone like Mel Morris for two and a half hours. He's a serious guy and a very strong leader, i imagine he's not the easiest bloke to work for!

The days of Brian Clough smashing the british transfer record without the chairman's permission is over. The way Alex Ferguson ran the show at Old Trafford will never happen again. Modern football has evolved and whether we like it or not, the money men will call the shots like they do in every other aspect of our lives.

The best we can hope for as Derby fans are sensible owners who care about our football club, not just chancers who want a toy to play with and give themselves a bit of personal prestige, but people who want to invest in the future.

I have no doubt that Mel Morris is a totally committed businessman who only makes decisions based on whats best for his own interests. 

However, having met him, he has one weak point, one chink in a normally impenetrable armour. He comes from Littleover. He grew up supporting the Rams. He used to chase away fans back to the station. He's a sheepshagger to the core. This one twist of fate has caused him to put his money into his home town club for more than just business reasons. 

He admitted he has to bite his tongue and not get involved in player selection or tactics. He admitted he gets frustrated and rants privately about why the manager didn't pick this player or that player, but he can't criticise. He's appointed a head coach to do that particular job because its beyond his own expertise. He wants Sam Rush to stay for 10 years because Sam is the man to deal with the mental world of agents.

What he's doing is using his business acumen to make the football club he loves better. Appoint the best team around him and trust them to do their jobs. He kept repeating the importance of teamwork, respecting everyone's contribution and being supportive at all levels.

I got the impression he likes to be around the players and the training ground. He likes the kudos that comes with being the boss, but so what? If i was him so would I.

He's looked at Southampton and Swansea. They may change managers but the way they play doesn't change. Thats what he sees as the "Derby Way". We are set up from top to bottom to follow a plan. We will recruit people who suit that plan. If Paul Clement doesn't work out DCFC will not be in the market for Tony Pulis or Big Sam, nothing against them at all, but Mel has decided he wants to do it by playing football, on the deck, with a bit of pace. So he'll recruit Head Coaches who buy into that philosophy.

He's not a saint, maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but as a Rams fan running our club, we could do far worse.

Mel Morris is an astute businessman who has made a lot of dough and is putting some into his beloved club, which is fine and dandy, I'd do the same if I had the cash. However, it's been proven time and time again, a fan with cash and an over-powering desire to get too deeply involved is a recipe for disaster.

I sincerely hope his input and money are a catalyst for promotion and better times, but I would prefer if he just backed off and took a back seat and let the pro's look after the football side.

It's starting to look a bit like Clement is a puppet and his strings are being pulled by Morris, Rush and Evans, and in my opinion they don't have the experience to do that as yet, I hope it works out, I'm a fan that wants us to succeed, but it it feels like a gamble at the minute, I just hope it pays off! :-)

Mel Morris is an astute businessman who has made a lot of dough and is putting some into his beloved club, which is fine and dandy, I'd do the same if I had the cash. However, it's been proven time and time again, a fan with cash and an over-powering desire to get too deeply involved is a recipe for disaster.

I sincerely hope his input and money are a catalyst for promotion and better times, but I would prefer if he just backed off and took a back seat and let the pro's look after the football side.

It's starting to look a bit like Clement is a puppet and his strings are being pulled by Morris, Rush and Evans, and in my opinion they don't have the experience to do that as yet, I hope it works out, I'm a fan that wants us to succeed, but it it feels like a gamble at the minute, I just hope it pays off! :-)

I think that's why it's important that he doesn't finish up buying us out entirely. I'm not concerned at all by the direction so far and I don't think that's just because I'm dazzled by the signings. A strong ownership group around MM can provide that check and balance which maintains stability and prevents us ending up as LP did in his couple of season and everything going pear shaped.

I think that's why it's important that he doesn't finish up buying us out entirely. I'm not concerned at all by the direction so far and I don't think that's just because I'm dazzled by the signings. A strong ownership group around MM can provide that check and balance which maintains stability and prevents us ending up as LP did in his couple of season and everything going pear shaped.

We all saw what happened to LP, he had DCFC running through his veins and back in the day put an enormous percentage of his worth into the Rams, and in the end got booted out in favour of very unfavourable characters!

I'm all in favour of local ownership, but trying too hard to get forum members on side when nothing has been achieved might be exciting for the invited few, however it smacks of begging favour.

Don't get me wrong I hope this is a new exciting chapter for my team, but we ain't done it yet, here's hoping!

Citation needed

His ideologies on how the club should be run are almost identical to my own. I'm a big believer in a specific playing-style being a theme from manager to manager. I had my hopes that this is one of the main reasons we appointed McClaren, someone who could continue the good football Clough's sides did but who could also get another 20% from the squad.

As absurd as it sounds, I wouldn't mind if he said that his overall ambition was for us to make the Top 4, just as Nicola Cortese's was at Southampton, perhaps through a similar model that took Lyon back to the pinnacle of French football, even if it were to take us 16 years like it did them. I'd take him stating that our ambition is Europe.  If a team goes up from this division, playing good football and has the right infrastructure, I see no reason why it shouldn't qualify for Europe within 3 years. I believed we would have done it had we been promoted in either of the last two seasons. I looked at Swansea as a beacon of hope and they managed European football in two years, I believed Southampton would do it, I began doubting them last summer but they too managed it. 

Also, I swear McClaren was the one who talked a lot about the youth teams playing just like the first team? It's a very Dutch thing as well so I always assumed that it was him that introduced that. Perhaps not.   

All-in-all, things sound positive. 

I think Mel Morris is planning to be Chairman for a very long time. He is an entrepreneur with great Business acumen. He may not yet have realised that some of his ideas may become common if they are seen to work well. He may prove to be a maverick genius for being a Chairman without realising that his ideas are groundbreaking. I can easily think of some previous Derby managers who may not have been flexible enough to cope with his approach. Clement just wants to get the team right and will get all the help that he needs. Mel may end up with the most integrated fan base in football. Daveo could be on of the voices of Derby's fans and get a chance to put regular input into an evolving Club that has unprecedented unity..He who pays the piper calls the tune but if the tune is right then we will all happily sing it.

I think Mel Morris is planning to be Chairman for a very long time. He is an entrepreneur with great Business acumen. He may not yet have realised that some of his ideas may become common if they are seen to work well. He may prove to be a maverick genius for being a Chairman without realising that his ideas are groundbreaking. I can easily think of some previous Derby managers who may not have been flexible enough to cope with his approach. Clement just wants to get the team right and will get all the help that he needs. Mel may end up with the most integrated fan base in football. Daveo could be on of the voices of Derby's fans and get a chance to put regular input into an evolving Club that has unprecedented unity..He who pays the piper calls the tune but if the tune is right then we will all happily sing it.

Let's hope it pans out like that! And not like Doughty down the road! COYR

Over a week ago I was suggesting that he might be meddling too much. Not after listening to him.

He has a vision where kids as young as 7 will be developed in the direction of the way the first team plays. As young as 7. Youth players recruited won't just come in because they're good.  They have to be the type of player that fits the first team. Not an 15 year old tank who's just grown fast and has bullied his way up and will be the next Crouch. 

The youth levels will interact. Classroom sessions will be filmed. Training sessions filmed. All so it's accessible to everyone through the club. 

But this is all pointless unless the gateway to the senior team is open. 

He spoke about wanting to bring the average age of the u21's down to 19. He said there's no point having lads that are much older playing in there because if they aren't pushing strongly towards first team football at 21 then perhaps they won't meet the required level at 24/25 which is a good average age for the seniors. 

So the push towards the seniors needs to be stronger. To do that there needs to be a partnership and likeness between the youth players of all ages. 

But all this is pointless if the first team is constantly changing it's emphasis. How does a technically gifted footballer slot into a managers plans who doesn't play to suit the lad. What if the coach doesn't have interest in youth, like Billy Davies? 

So the seniors need to fit too. 

And everyone needs to be on the same boat. All banging the same drum. 

That's his vision. Sounds good?

How then does he implement that? He has to set boundaries.  He has to have a certain type of player at the club. He's not buying players. He lays the plan and chooses someone more knowledgeable than him to find the players. Then that man can show these players he finds to the man that will use them. The man who uses them has to fit in with the vision Mel Morris.

Everybody who comes in is picked for their skill. So give them the vision and let them do that skill. Nobody will be able to do exactly what they want. Mel Morris won't tell Evans who to scout or Clement who to buy or Sam Rush how to manage the whole thing. Morris has the vision and the money and offers support.

I 100% believe that now. I think if you could listen to him speak then you would too. He really believes that everyone should stick to what they're skill set is. But he has laid the path down. And everything that goes through those gates at Moor Farm will have to buy into that vision. 

He said he'd love to pick the team. What Derby fan hasn't dreamt of picking the team or making subs or buying a player. We all rate and slate the players. Mel admits he does too. But privately. Because it's not his skill to actually go and do that. 

Archived