Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

118 - 110?

No chance. Not to either fighter. No way. 

I see Canelo get the first 2, the last 2 and perhaps the 9th I think it was? I'm struggling to give him 6 rounds

Great, great fight. How hard is it to land clean on Canelo? He takes nothing full on.

GGG isnt human. Can't be. Kell Brook lifted him off the floor. Jacobs gave him a right hook he didn't see coming and Canelo gave him a right hook that put Khan to sleep for a week. And he doesn't even acknowledge it. He just doesn't give you an inch.

Great fighters and both deserve cheering. Canelo didn't deserve booing. The result wasn't that obvious. 

But 118-110? How can that not be a cause for concern. Nobody was that clear cut

Canelo put up a great fight, but there is absoloutely no way he won that. 118-110 is a sick joke.

Canelo said afterwards he won 7 or 8 rounds easily. You know when GGG possesses hands like bricks when your opponent comes out and thinks he won. You didn't Canelo, not in your wildest dreams.

It wasn't a landslide victory for GGG, but it really wasn't a difficult fight to score. There were clear winners in some of the rounds, and in one or two of the close ones I gave to Canelo as that's what the judges would do.

I still had it GGG 116-112 Canelo. At a very push 115-113.

But as Alpha says, how can you find six rounds to give to Canelo? Let alone TEN as one had it 118-110.

Part of me was a little surprised they didn't rob GGG completely with the decision, but the fans got a great fight and there is a big chance they'll do it again.

Four possible explanations I can think of for the 118-110 scorecard.

1: The judge took a bribe

2: The judge filled out her card before even watching the fight

3:  The judge got the fighters mixed up

4:  The judge clearly favoured Canelo, and was rooting for him, looking at his shots only and ignoring those thrown by GGG.

GGG landed more punches than Canelo in 10 of 12 rounds. 

So obviously Canelo was favoured for his defensive skills. 

But hold on a minute, Canelo was given the decision against Lara for his aggressiveness and punch output. Now he is being favoured for his defensive ability?

You can't have it borh ways, unless you're actively looking for Canelo to win which I imagine that judge who scored it 118-110 had done.

On 16/09/2017 at 00:40, Bris Vegas said:

There is more pressure on GGG, he essentially has to stop Canelo as boxing politics won't allow him to win it on points.

Canelo is a tough guy though. I can't see him being stopped.

I'm convinced GGG will land the more telling blows throughout, but the decision will go Canelo's way.

You just about nailed that prediction.. Spot on.

Haye bellew 2 looks on.

intriging fight. Haye would destroy him 5 years ago or so but since he has barely been in the ring. In the first fight he was inaccurate and gassed. Bellew on the other hand seems stronger then ever and has been far more active. Therefore I see this as a close fight but if haye can find the form he once had it is a mismatch. If he loses it's game over for good.

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

Haye bellew 2 looks on.

intriging fight. Haye would destroy him 5 years ago or so but since he has barely been in the ring. In the first fight he was inaccurate and gassed. Bellew on the other hand seems stronger then ever and has been far more active. Therefore I see this as a close fight but if haye can find the form he once had it is a mismatch. If he loses it's game over for good.

If Haye is smart and relatively injury free, he can pick up a straightforward UD points win.

From memory he won every round until his knee went in the first fight. 

What he needs to avoid is going all out to knock Bellew out. He will put far too much strain on his body and leave himself open to gassing by searching an early KO.

Play it smart and he wins easily.

Hughie Fury keeps talking about knocking out Parker on Saturday

He said his spots were holding him back massively. Now I'm not being a cnut but getting rid of spots hasn't turned him into a KO artist. He's never had much power. 

In fact I think he'll get beat quite comfortably... probably on points. I don't think Parker is all that great though. 

Don't like Hughie. Don't like the whole gypo brigade much. They all talk a lot but fight rarely. Whether they're crashing GGG/Canelo conferences, calling Joshua a robot or laughing at Wilder's record... They don't do much themselves. Idiots.

I'm from New Zealand on Satdee. Or then I suppose if Fury does win then he might jump in with Joshua and Tyson and BJS can watch "the stiff robot" batter him.

Hughie wouldn't even beat Whyte and Chisora!!

I can't call Fury vs Parker. It's an intriguing match-up, but I can't say I've followed either extensively.

At 23 Hughie seems a pretty level-headed guy, that's probably what makes him a slightly boring figure.

Would be good if he won though just to set up some decent domestic fights.

See the weigh in today? Hughie looks in similar shape to me!! What was with the bravado?

I think they see in Joseph Parker the best chance at a world title before someone like Joshua, Wilder, Ortiz unify them. 

Nowt wrong with that btw. Joshua did it with the IBF. 

But I don't think he's ever going to hold a world title. I have only seen about 4 of his fights though. Parker I've seen a lot of. 

He's less hard working than Hughie I think. But heavier and more accurate hands. And he's way too solid for Hughie to KO. 

Its now or never for a world title. Joseph Parker will be the easiest champion for the next couple of years. That's even Dillian Whyte manages to somehow get the WBC he's close to. 

With Stiverne and Povetkin active and high in rankings, Whyte and Miller are brawlers getting attention and waiting in line for a title... I just think Parker represents the only champion that isn't great and doesn't really go to war. They are looking for someone Hughie can do 12 rounds with and outpoint. There won't be anyone more like that than Parker with a title. He could probably do Wilder on points but Wilder would come strong at some point and he keeps managing to knock people out when he does.

That's why Bellew fancied it. 

I have never seen Hughie get hit much though. If he's got a solid chin... he's in the UK.... Canelo/GGG...you never know

Edited by Alpha

7 hours ago, Alpha said:

See the weigh in today? Hughie looks in similar shape to me!! What was with the bravado?

I think they see in Joseph Parker the best chance at a world title before someone like Joshua, Wilder, Ortiz unify them. 

Nowt wrong with that btw. Joshua did it with the IBF. 

But I don't think he's ever going to hold a world title. I have only seen about 4 of his fights though. Parker I've seen a lot of. 

He's less hard working than Hughie I think. But heavier and more accurate hands. And he's way too solid for Hughie to KO. 

Its now or never for a world title. Joseph Parker will be the easiest champion for the next couple of years. That's even Dillian Whyte manages to somehow get the WBC he's close to. 

With Stiverne and Povetkin active and high in rankings, Whyte and Miller are brawlers getting attention and waiting in line for a title... I just think Parker represents the only champion that isn't great and doesn't really go to war. They are looking for someone Hughie can do 12 rounds with and outpoint. There won't be anyone more like that than Parker with a title. He could probably do Wilder on points but Wilder would come strong at some point and he keeps managing to knock people out when he does.

That's why Bellew fancied it. 

I have never seen Hughie get hit much though. If he's got a solid chin... he's in the UK.... Canelo/GGG...you never know

Hughie relies on making people miss and his timing/range. He's been out the ring too long for me. He can't be sharp. But, like you say, who's going to represent a better chance of a points win for a heavyweight world tite?

Hughie has shown limited power and Parker, from the times he has been caught flush, seems to have a very good chin. 

I'm going for a Parker knock out. Can't believe only 8,000 tickets have been sold for this. A YouTuber boxing match between two novices is going to sell more tickets than a 50/50 heavyweight title fight. Mixture of gypsies being hard to like and Hennesy eating when he should have been promoting.

Hughie had a debilitating blood disorder which took years to diagnose so I am not sure how he'll look tonight. He's got a tough style for Parker, he beat Rudenko who people say was robbed against Lucas Browne so I think he is slightly underrated. Moves well, quick hands and can take a shot. This is an interesting fight, I watched Parker against Takam and he really got roughed up. His fight vs Cajanu who was his sparring partner fighting on short notice showed that he didn't deal with tall rangey guys too well. My analysis is if this goes to points Fury will win the slow rounds on his jab alone, Parker has to stay busy because if the KO doesn't come then I don't think he'll be as effective jabbing with Fury.

The most biased commentary I've ever heard. Who is "Barry"? Is that Fury's Mum? 

He thinks Fury was way ahead! I had the scores at 118-110 too. 

Why does Parker have to land punches to win and Fury just has to avoid them? I'm sorry but the co commentator is a hypocrit. 

"Great uppercut from Fury." When Fury landed

"Hughie took it well, Parker has to do more" when Parker landed. Which was more often

"Hughie is winning this on footwork. Parker has to close the gap" what? Hughie doesn't have to? 

He's boring. He got what he deserved. What a boring boring fighter. I don't expect him to go and trade but half the time he wasn't looking to counter. He was looking for an exit so he can run around waving his left first at Parker.

7 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

What a s**** fight. And what are these judges on

It was s*** because Hughie ran away worse than Mayweather ever has.

What rounds did he win and what with? I saw 3 big uppercuts in the whole fight. 1 good right hand. Parker landed several solid shots and a right hook that buzzed Fury. He chased the fight. 

The commentary team wanted Hughie to win so bad they were only calling his shots. 

No way did he win 6 rounds to even draw. I gave him 2 and 2 others were close. The rest were him running away and Parker delivering shots weakened by over reaching but still landing. That daft jab isn't convincing any judge to score him