Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

2 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

I thought fury won by 2 rounds, but tbh, if you want the Belt, you have to take it from the holder. Cant play defensive and expect to get it given to you. Impressed with furys footwork

Deffo his movement and leaning back makes him a nightmare for anyone to enjoy fighting. 

If he had a nice solid Klitschko jab then he'd be a world Champion tonight. But it's just a touch jab. A range finder. 

He needs power in the jab to make it a bit more eye catching or he needs that right hook to have some venom to knock guys out. 

His right counter catches the eye but he doesn't use it enough tonight.  

Effective aggression is one of the scoring criteria. I guess it is down to the judges to decide whether walking forward and having most of your shots blocked is more effective than jabbing with counter hooks. Be interested to see the punch stats  on this one. I think ultimately if Fury had let that right hand go more he'd have won that, looked a bit gun shy in some rounds. He's still a kid really so it's not the end of the world. If Parker reckons he can step in with Joshua he is in serious trouble.

Bellew vs Parker would be a great fight, one I think Bellew wins through superior ring IQ and counter punching.

Listened to it on 5 live and the atmosphere sounded like it was coming from a leisure centre. 

Bunce had it a draw, but admitted before the result that the judges could easily side with Parker. 

David Price had it by 5 rounds to Fury based on boxing skill, and Costello had it by 2 rounds to Fury. 

Neither Bunce or Costello were overly surprised by the result. 

They admitted Furys style was not exzctly eye catching to the tv companies and didn't really know what was next for Fury.  They said America was a non starter. 

Peter Fury interviewed well, thought his lad had won but was constantly telling him to show more aggression and basically admitted he didn't. 

As for the interview straight after the result with Mick Hennessey, what a balloon........the worst result in the history of boxing and calling our corruption at the highest levels of the WBO.......

5 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Listened to it on 5 live and the atmosphere sounded like it was coming from a leisure centre. 

Bunce had it a draw, but admitted before the result that the judges could easily side with Parker. 

David Price had it by 5 rounds to Fury based on boxing skill, and Costello had it by 2 rounds to Fury. 

Neither Bunce or Costello were overly surprised by the result. 

They admitted Furys style was not exzctly eye catching to the tv companies and didn't really know what was next for Fury.  They said America was a non starter. 

Peter Fury interviewed well, thought his lad had won but was constantly telling him to show more aggression and basically admitted he didn't. 

As for the interview straight after the result with Mick Hennessey, what a balloon........the worst result in the history of boxing and calling our corruption at the highest levels of the WBO.......

Mick Hennessey also said the performance was similar to Ali and that he'd beat Joshua and Wilder based on that.

I guess it depends how you score it but to count those pathetic jabs as a punch seems laughable to me. If boxing is about touching the opponents head and body then Fury won. 

If it's about fighting and punching then I don't think Fury threw more than 10 punches. 

Parker had to take the jab on the chin just to get near a bloke running away. It was a harmless barrier. Fury should have used the right more. Parker stepping into the prime area but Hughie was too busy planning an escape to let his shots go

I find it completely outdated, in boxing you still have judges sat at ringside with all the video tech available these days. Anyone who's been to a boxing event will tell you dependent on where you're sitting you can see a completely different fight to someone else the opposite side of a ring, shots you think have connected have hit gloves or arms. An aggressor will look like they're walking the fight but you watch it back on tape and see it completely different. Not making excuses for some of the cards we've seen in boxing lately. The 118-110 Canelo card is scandalous however you look at it.

But get 5 judges sat in a room in separate booths with an adjudicator watching it on a screen and judge fights properly, easy fix.

Edited by YouRams

Judges score fights differently. There seems to be no set criteria for how to win a fight on points.

Aggression, centre-ring dominance and punch output are three I've heard are critical to winning a fight on points.

If that's the case, how did Floyd Mayweather remain unbeaten his entire career?

That said, you can edge 7 rounds and be utterly outboxed and outfought in another 5 rounds and still win the fight.

I think it needs a shake-up. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

3 rounds into Burns v Crolla and Burns looks done. Crolla in 10. 

Burns looked done when Josh Taylor offered him a scrap. He didn't fancy that. 

He lost that fight before Indongo too. Massive robbery that he took a UD. 

He's past his best isn't he? 

26 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Ive got it Crolla just, but possible rematch. Ricky put up a better fight than expected. 

Don't see any value in a rematch. You were right with your penultimate post. Taylor his last pay day.

as for crolla maybe a title shot but I am not sure he is good enough to beat any holders.

Didn't see it but Groves seems to have done a job on Cox tonight. 

Groves v Eubank is a good fight, for me it's a difficult call. Possibly Eubank by points. 

Listened to BJ Saunders on talk sport this week and he wants more bouts. He talks a good fight, but I guess he deserves some respect for his record so far. 

Billy Joe holds a world title, but he's far too inactive, being backed by a now second-rate promoter and ultimately has a fight style which is boring to watch.

The BBC did an article earlier how Eubank Jr is now Britain's second biggest boxing star behind A Joshua.

Despite holding a worthless world title, he definitely draws attention for his exciting fighting style and importantly he's more active, being in the media alot.

Eubank lacks punch power at 168 to be able to stop a fighter like Groves, and it will be interesting to see if he is willing to eat some solid jabs from Groves in order to close the distance and try and outwork him.

It's an intriguing match-up for sure.

As for Billy Joe... The only thing he is clinging on to is the one belt GGG needs to completely unify the division.

If GGG wasn't interested in holding all the belts, BJS would be utterly lost and content to fighting rubbish mandatorys.

Eubank is right. BJS is now irrelevant to him.

I hope for a Groves KO.

Think Groves will lose the early rounds to Eubanks workrate. But eventually the heavy shots will take their toll. The body shots he was landing on Saturday were nasty! He should be quite happy with Eubanks style. It's the speed that he needs to take away. 

But I think you can only truly believe the fight will happen when the first bell goes. 

It's a great series so far. Been spectacular