Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

GGG all the way. Reckon it will be in four, but could probably do it in 1 if he wanted. Probably will just feel his way around for the first few. 

I like brook, i think he's a very good boxer just think GGG is miles better no real weaknesses

I think it could go the distance IMO, and if it does Brook stands a good chance as he's technically a very good fighter.

I don't think this is quite Khan-Canelo suicide levels. 

Golovkin, through no fault of his, hasn't been tested by a genuine elite level fighter yet. I'm intrigued to see how good he is rather than whether Brook can step up to face a top class opponent.

No idea how Brook was winning on the scorecards. GGG was the only one, and uppercut from Brook aside, landng any meaningful shots. They tried to say GGG was hurt, he didn't back off once.

Brook spent most of the fight taking shots on the ropes.

Too powerful. Frustrating him? How was getting nailed on the ropes frustrating him?

GGG was vastly superior in three of the four rounds before the stoppage in the fifth.

Brook no doubt deserves massive respect for taking on the challenge, it's just a shame he never had the power to really give it back to GGG. Golovkin just stalked forward, and only seemed to be ramping it up when the towel was thrown in. It could have got pretty ugly towards the eighth and ninth rounds.

Eddie Hearn said the judges had Brook up on the scorecards. They need sacking immediately.

The hype surrounding Golovkin is so insane that people have almost mythical expectations of him. They look at his record and his highlight reel and expect jaw dropping performances each and every time no matter the opponent. But it is a lot to live up to and a level very few if any boxers can sustain, especially when you take a step up in competition, which tonight was.

To put it simply, it was a good test for Golovkin. One we expected, one everyone knew he needed but given the narrative of the fight, this was never going to enhance his stock.

It was a very smart move from Kell Brook's camp to throw in the towel and protect their fighter, who had obviously given his all in the earlier rounds. He was injured, he was beginning to fade and he would only go on to endure a lot more punishment.

As fans, of course we are bound to feel a little robbed of a more organic conclusion to what was an entertaining fight. But let's face it, 21 more minutes in the ring with Golovkin, who was still pressing the action, being the aggressor, hitting with power while taking everything Brook had to offer in his stride, it was an unenviable task. Why take the risk at that stage?

It was a brave and creditable performance by Brook. He had good spells in the fight and he was a stubborn customer for Golovkin to deal with. But Golovkin never looked in any danger whatsoever. He did not look his sharpest but part of me gets the feeling Golovkin had bought into his own hype a little too much and underestimated Kell.

It was always going to be a uphill task for Brook and he emerged with great credit as he fought with great heart, great intensity and without fear but to go blow-for-blow for 12 rounds with a puncher like Golovkin, he was on a hiding to nothing.

The gripe I had was the judges, and so-called pundits at Sky, had Brook winning the flight.

I thought Brook edged the second round, but there is no possible way that Brook came out on top in both the first and third rounds after being rocked by numerous power punches.

Golovkin's style is to walk forward, absorb punches and give it back tenfold.

I heard few say he looked sluggish due to a lack of head movement. Have these people ever seen Golovkin fight? The guy's style is to walk forward and ride punches with a high guard.

Too many expecting him to be a 175 power puncher and Floyd Mayweather's defensive movement mixed into one. The guy is human, not some super fighting robot.

Carl Froch came out and said on that performance he'd beat Golovkin. Why even say that? He'd never even make 172 nowadays let alone the 168 super middle weight.

Golovkin is a 160 king. I can't see him moving up beyond 168. 

Froch also used to complain about making the 168 weight. I never saw him brave enough to move up to 175, instead he shouts out how he'd beat fighters weighing 160. What an idiot...

As we've all said, this was a no-win situation for Golovkin.

Even with all that he has achieved, he is on a hiding to nothing if he tries to please everyone. When you get to the top, people only want to drag you down and find faults. So the criticisms and the questioning of him is inevitable, if a little unfair for me.

At the end of the day, Golovkin was making his UK debut against a British world champion and being watched by a partisan crowd rooting for the underdog in the biggest fight here in many years. It's no surprise the commentators, the judges, the pundits and some fans had a skewed view of the fight.

For me, I don't think Golovkin is the complete package. But what he does, he can do excellently and he stays true to himself. He is a very dangerous, aggressive and devastating fighter and his fights are very fan-friendly because he always comes to fight. 

I definitely think there are fighters out there who can beat him but we are probably looking at someone with a size and speed advantage and someone who is an elite boxer with superior technique. Andre Ward is the obvious candidate, but with him now fighting Kovalev at light-heavyweight, the stars seem unlikely to align on that one. I'd love to see the Canelo fight materialise but only because it promises to be a real brawl, not because I think Canelo has much of a shot at winning. 

Whatever you want to say about Golovkin though, give me him over the likes of Ward and Mayweather any day. A technical wizard he is not, but a fighter and an entertainer he most certainly is.

Not too sure how on earth the judges had Brook a head?

Something quiet uneasy about GGG, something menacing behind that smile - his boxing does  remind me of young Tyson..........walks through the punches and hits the body and head of his opponent at will. 

Brook has a damaged eye socket and otherwise seems ok.

Brook was ahead because he was landing more shots, with more relative power, than Golovkin. Without being in GGG's shoes, who can possibly know how hurt he was? GGG just had too much size over him and he's good enough at cutting off the ring even against legitimate middleweights. Brook fought smart and managed to avoid a few of Golovkin's bigger shots. Brook was the better technical boxer last night, but Golovkin was doing more damage and hurting him more. If the fight had gone on, the damage would have taken its toll on Brook and GGG would have dominated in the later rounds. There was no danger of Brook lasting to the decision, and there was no danger of GGG getting knocked out, and Brook's team knew this. Therefore the only sensible thing to do was throw in the towel and protect the damaged eye socket.

He might have been ahead on the cards at that stage (rightly imo) but he wouldn't have won the bloody thing on decision would he so what difference does it make?

11 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Carl Froch came out and said on that performance he'd beat Golovkin. Why even say that? He'd never even make 172 nowadays let alone the 168 super middle weight.

Golovkin is a 160 king. I can't see him moving up beyond 168. 

Froch also used to complain about making the 168 weight. I never saw him brave enough to move up to 175, instead he shouts out how he'd beat fighters weighing 160. What an idiot...

Froch would have beat him at his best, no doubt. Froch has more power and a steel chin. Idiotic comment from someone now retired though. Glove up or shut up.

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

Froch would have beat him at his best, no doubt. Froch has more power and a steel chin. Idiotic comment from someone now retired though. Glove up or shut up.

You can never tell. All sparring partners say Golovkin punches like a 175, yet he fights at 160. Froch used to struggle to make weight at 168, and he allegedly posed a fight with Golovkin at 172.

IMO, that's ridiculous as 172 is closer to light heavy than it is super middle, yet Froch never once considered moving up, even when Nathan Cleverly called him out on a couple of occasions.

It's easy for boxers to say these things when they know they'll get everything in their favour. It's like Canelo wanting to Golovkin for his 160 belts at 155 and with a rehydration clause. Ridiculous.

As for the fight, I cannot agree that Brook was ahead on the cards and threw the better punches. I have no doubts he won round two, but there is no way he won two of rounds 1, 3 and 4. 

He may be the beter technical boxer. GGG isn't some slick mover, he's a high-guard, move forward, cut-off-the-ring brute who will stand there and trade, and almost always come out on top.

Khan had better movement vs Canelo than Brook against GGG. Khan was 100% winning the fight against Canelo before the knockout, but Brook on the other hand (and to his credit) traded too often with GGG without hurting him.

Again, there is no way he was ahead, perhaps two rounds each. He lost the first and third rounds easily as he was rocked in both and pinned on the ropes for 2/3 of those two rounds getting nailed with body shots. Perhaps not clean, clean shots but clearly doing damage.

Yeah I can't see how they had Brook ahead. Brook certainly won round 2 and 3 was pretty close imo. 

Maybe the judges expected Brook to struggle to land shots and somehow were impressed? 

Even though Golovkin is always there to be hit. 

Golovkin was too eager to knock Brook out. When he fought Dominic Wade he toyed with him. He controlled the fight.

I don't think he controlled Brook. It was a wild brawl in which Golovkin was just relentless and Brook was never going to stop him. 

Carl Froch is a massive ****. Put your gloves on then. I mean what frustrates me is that I know I could beat Golovkin too but unfortunately i'll never prove it either.... knob.

Hope BJS is next. I'll be a massive Golovkin fan in that fight. Can't stand that guy.