Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

13 hours ago, Norman said:

Liked your post, Alpha, but i disagree lol.

I know exactly where you're coming from. I just cant stand Bellew. Ever since the Cleverley build up, I just havent liked him. Haye knows how to sell a fight, though. I bet the Ppv numbers are huge, especially for a none title fight. I'm looking forward to seeing Haye's trust in his shoulder if it gets a bit tougher than he expects. Hopefully this leads to him taking on the winner of Klit or Joshua. Not that he deserves the shot at a title, but his style would suit a Joshua clash.

Haye's ranking is high in most of the governing bodies and Eddie Earn won't pass up the amount of money that Haye vs AJ would generate probably at Wembley again.

Bellew's an average fighter who has won his last few fights through sheer determination. This won't be enough against Haye and I reckon it will be a KO within 4-5 rounds. Haye won't want to go into the later rounds as he won't have the match fitness and Bellew always has a punchers chance.

i know Haye is a bit of a dick but I can't stand Bellew, going out of the ring to get at Haye was ridiculous and could've got people near by hurt.

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Surely Joshua will look to try and mop up the rest of the heavyweight belts if he gets past Kiltschko before even bothering with a potentially tricky fight like Haye?

Wilder is a more dangerous fight than Haye imo plus that's a british mega fight that shady Hearn could milk the life out of.

Wilder might be dangerous but I actually think AJ would have an easier time against him than he would against Haye. Wilder looks for lack of a better word, wild. I think Joshua has a better boxing ability and more than enough power to get rid of him, he just has to avoid the punches coming in from unorthodox angles to make it work, in my opinion of course.

11 hours ago, Alpha said:

Can't criticise Hayes ability. And I think Bellew would have been better off calling out Chisora or Whyte if he wants a big hyped up payday with a heavyweight so his belt isn't on the line. 

He's gone and called out a man that's going to be hard to exploit on any level. I agree with Bellew on how Haye has managed his comeback but that's not for Bellew to step in as an opponent. 

If he'd called out Whyte then you'd get all the drama. You'd keep your belt. And you'd be facing a heavyweight that struggled with the mobility of a cruiserweight last year. He's mad. 

That Cleverly fight was the worst hype/fight. Everyone expected another tear up. What a flop. 

I reckon Haye will score an early knockdown but Bellew won't go out easy. I reckon it will finish with Bellew on the ropes not replying.

Did anyone watch David Price v Christian Hammer, Wilder Washington or McConnell v Vargas?

I think Bellew was badly advised by Hearn about a big day with no belt on the line. The plan must have been to secure this payday, try and look good in the press conferences, give a battling display like Brook, become more household and secure bigger numbers, even ppv for a big title defence/unification.

Like you say, I think its a bad choice. I think Hearn was listening to too many rumours about Haye. Maybe even Haye was putting the whispers out there, hes got the same plan as Bellew after all, and its all ended in this.

Price is done. A shame imo. He was close to a big win mentally. Vargas was just classy. Annoyingly so. So quick on the back foot. Judges had it closer than I did.

I thought Washington was going to do Wilder. He was cruising along and keeping Wilder out of range. Couldn't see Wilder getting anywhere near a decent exchange. 

Guess that's why Heavyweights always draw attention. You never know.

Oh and Price... I felt sorry for him but I couldn't help but laugh at his level of fitness. 

You can't call out Joshua and then let a bloke half your size with half your power keep standing on your toes while you try desperately to catch your breath. After 2 rounds.

I know Hammer is decent but Price embarrassed himself. He can be better than that. 

Doubt he'll comeback from that.

9 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Oh and Price... I felt sorry for him but I couldn't help but laugh at his level of fitness. 

You can't call out Joshua and then let a bloke half your size with half your power keep standing on your toes while you try desperately to catch your breath. After 2 rounds.

I know Hammer is decent but Price embarrassed himself. He can be better than that. 

Doubt he'll comeback from that.

Hopefully Dave Allen doesn't follow his path. I like Dave. He looks like he's taking conditioning seriously now. Still got legs like tree stumps though. Been announced on the undercard after his 30 second win last week I think. Another who deserves better from Hearn.

4 minutes ago, Norman said:

Hopefully Dave Allen doesn't follow his path. I like Dave. He looks like he's taking conditioning seriously now. Still got legs like tree stumps though. Been announced on the undercard after his 30 second win last week I think. Another who deserves better from Hearn.

Yeah!! 

Do you think Hearn is treating him as a bit of sideshow.

'Oh, you've got a pretty decent following? Ok Dave, here's a fiver. Now dance for me. Here, have a go with Luis Ortiz.

Dave, can you do a bit on my show next week. Say something funny. Bring some mates.'

Allen seems like a top bloke. He needs help not someone taking the piss out of him

Have you seen the interview in the changing rooms after with Allen on iFL?

Hearn interrupts saying "that's what he needs to do more of. He needs to listen to me more. I Will look after you now cos that win is down to me telling him what to do." 

Well, No, stop putting him in with elite heavyweights!!! He's fought harder fights than the other heavyweight champions currently have. It's crazy. And you just know he wasnt paid what he should have been. Hearns making him think he needs him. Maybe he does now.

I have Haye winning by Ko round 7.

If it goes all the way I think Bellew may just nick it by points which i don't know why because Haye is technically better but the conspiracy theorist in me says they will organise a rematch if Bellew wins with Haye demolishing him in the rematch. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

I thought Washington was going to do Wilder. He was cruising along and keeping Wilder out of range. Couldn't see Wilder getting anywhere near a decent exchange. 

Guess that's why Heavyweights always draw attention. You never know.

Unfortunately, I couldn't go with him, but my brother and a friend of his went to the Wilder fight in Birmingham. Anyway, he thought Wilder wasn't too impressive overall or looked that confident either. Interested to see where he goes from here. Really only two main avenues I see for him: Either take on Parker or the winner of Joshua/Wlad. Probably take on Parker first if I had to guess.

Haye to KO bell*** early I think.

Wilder will get found out when he comes across the pond that's 2 fights I seen him (Washington & spilka) he was getting out boxed. Wilder has a devastating ko punch though but I would fancy the likes of Joshua to do him.

I can only apologise for the atrocious boxing cliche but it's one of those recurring tropes - if Bellew survives the first few rounds, the ball is in his court.

That said, Haye could surprise us and have a go at the conservative approach, make Bellew rethink his plans to just hold back the storm and actually surprise him late on instead. It's not his style, granted, but it depends how he rates Bellew truthfully. He says Bellew's a nobody and he'll knock him out early doors, and I'm inclined to agree that he's not as good as he thinks he is, but who knows if Haye really believes in the threat of Bellew or not.

I don't think Haye will be in as poor shape as people think. I wouldn't believe the photos of him in Miami, the guy is a dedicated athlete and he's only 36 so he's not exactly over the hill. What he's lost in speed he'll make up for in power. I don't think he needs to knock him out early on, I reckon he'll be prepared for the distance if it comes to it. He does need to hurt him early on if he's going for that approach but I don't think he's going to be gassed 4 rounds in. He just needs to use the time he has early on wisely because as I said, it's Bellew's fight later on and Haye needs to have made enough of an impact before that.

After watching the pad work yesterday, the difference in power and speed is huge. Maybe Bellew was holding back, but he hasn't got a chance imo. If he isn't knocked out by round two, Haye will go to the body. Make sure Bellew is losing recovery time etc so the middle rounds are easier for himself. 

Haye is just ******* everyone around with the yachts and the injuries. Hes got Shane in on it, so im assuming the money available for fighting Joshua is huge. Haye is making sure hes the opposite of Joshua. People are going to want "boring" Joshua to be trash talked, wound up and given a fight. Haye is making himself the one the public will want to fight Joshua. The bad blood with Hearn helps too. Very cleverly done imo. He's not stupid, though - you can tell from his interviews.

I realise I might be crucified for this comparison, but David Haye has undergone what the professional wrestling business calls a 'heel turn'. Anthony Joshua is the biggest babyface around right now and it's building to that. 

Not comparing the 'sports', just making a point about fight promotion. It works just the same. To draw money in a big fight, you need a guy people like, and you need a guy that everyone wants to see with his face caved in.