Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

What's wrong with the Joshua hype? 

Seems a nice lad, Olympic champion, British, knockout artist, doesn't talk *****.

He's playing a part in making boxing and British boxing and heavyweight division exciting. 

The only reason he gets more hype is because he's genuinley exciting, backed by Sky Sports and he's an Olympic hero. He's not a bully, he's not had to call people out, he's not had to be controversial.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

What's wrong with the Joshua hype? 

Seems a nice lad, Olympic champion, British, knockout artist, doesn't talk *****.

He's playing a part in making boxing and British boxing and heavyweight division exciting. 

The only reason he gets more hype is because he's genuinley exciting, backed by Sky Sports and he's an Olympic hero. He's not a bully, he's not had to call people out, he's not had to be controversial.

I like Joshua, he's an exciting fighter and good talker.

Having said that, he is definitely drumming up the 'nice boy' image in order to get the public backing on his side. There is nothing wrong with that by the way, in fact it's intelligence on his part.

But if you dig a little, there are clear cracks in his armour.

He once posted a photo of a previous opponent and said 'this is what I do' after one of his fights. He was a convicted drug dealer, and there have been clear signs of arrogance on his part too.

Obviously he's in a fighting world He can't be perfect, no boxer ever is. But I can understand why people don't really buy into him or find his 'personality' a little too fake for their liking.

I'm sure Hearn does tell him to make sure he makes time for people and get seen doing community things. As Fury plays up to the villain when he's a decent bloke too. 

But the drug dealing is not a major issue. I have never touched drugs, don't smoke, barely drink and I know 1 cannabis dealer and 1 former cannabis dealer. It's not great on your record but he's hardly 50 Cent. 

The nastier side of him isn't always well hidden. Even his clash with Breazeale in their meeting showed a darker side. He went off on one for no reason. He goads while in the ring. He does some interviews where he can be boastful. But like you say, this is fighting! It's not a sport for angels. 

Same with Fury. Always the villain. Yet people like Clifton Mitchell will say that he's always got time for people. His wife says if you put a camera in front of him then he "performs". 

They all have their 'angles'. 

Carl Froch was suddenly a huge Forest fan. Tony Bellew used his team. They all try to sell you something. Wouldn't say they're fake. Just they have to work at something that appeals. Fury is arguably the most fake fighter out there as for a big nasty gypo villain who doesn't care he spends time after Hughie Fury fights chatting away to fans about his division  and the career paths/technique of fighters never shown on British TV. 

Joshua will get some hate anyway soon enough. His hype is attracting casual fans which upsets the hardcore who are now sharing arenas with 15,000 where there used to be 8,000. 

Fury is going to open some wounds like Whyte did. But Fury does it louder. He'll break down some of the angel image. 

And then there's the old British thing of build em up and knock em down. Where we like a hero up until he's "made it" and then we tear him down and look for a new one. Being an Olympic champion might protect him a bit though. 

It's just nice to see that there's good fights. Good British fights. And the heavyweight division isn't so frickin boring as it has been since Lewis!! 

Thank God the Klitshcko reign is ending. 

I think even Derby's Dave Ryan is mandatory for the Commonwealth title? Might be wrong but I think he is? 

5 hours ago, Alpha said:

And then there's the old British thing of build em up and knock em down. Where we like a hero up until he's "made it" and then we tear him down and look for a new one. Being an Olympic champion might protect him a bit though. 

It's just nice to see that there's good fights. Good British fights. And the heavyweight division isn't so frickin boring as it has been since Lewis!! 

Thank God the Klitshcko reign is ending. 

I think even Derby's Dave Ryan is mandatory for the Commonwealth title? Might be wrong but I think he is? 

What a cracking post Alpha, I'll just pick a bit of the end to quote and ask has British boxing ever been this good, not since the days of dominating the middleweight division can I remember such hype, potential and swagger in G.B boxing.

Its truly an exciting moment, we might never have so many champions or contenders ever again, the.gym's must be doing something right.

They're trying to morph Joshua into a new kind of Bruno, can see it now. With careful fight selection he'll get there and then face the best to show whether he deserves real praise. All good for the sport though, it needs a few clean heroes to reverse the negative press and anti boxing brigade at times.

The love in for Bruno always slightly annoyed me,

I met him once, he's a nice bloke lovely guy and cant say a bad word about him. He always seems like he genuinely has time for people. The thing that annoyed me was the typical british public. They all used to get behind and back Bruno who was, if we are honest a bit of a loser/ underdog & then never really got behind lewis who was a different class & one of the best fighters we have ever produced. Lewis is so underrated its untrue. A prime lewis would clear up in the current division. It was only towards the end of his career that people started liking lewis and showing him a bit of respect. 

Frank Bruno's problem which might one day be an issue for joshua was that he was too muscular. Boxers need a slightly higher fat percentage than what Bruno had. He was always knackard by the 5th/6th round. Trying to supply oxygen to all them muscles plus low body fat percent. The body is going to start trying to convert energy from muscle stores. 

I worry for joshua if he starts getting taken towards latter rounds will he be out of puff?

I like Joshua a lot and i like Fury he's an entertainer. His antics before the last klitschko fight made people interested and the common man interested. I hooe they fightbeach other the build up and fight would be excellent 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Anyone tuning in later.

Groves v Murray should be great. 9:00ish.

Eubank and Joshua to win inside 5 and 4

I am....for Groves v Murray mainly.

Getting so annoyed with the 'hardcore' telling us casuals that it's not a box office event etc and the fights are uneven.

17 quid for me, for what I consider hours of entertainment, looks good value compared to Norwich away. So I'm paying for it.

And I'm hoping for a Groves win due to Froch and his Notts County supporting dad letting him support Forest, and beating Groves, twice. Always supported Gorves since then :)

44 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Fury fight postponed

Done on purpose IMO- ageing Klitscho and more time for Fury to prepare

Have you seen the pics of his ankle takien from his caravan in the Lake District? It's a proper injury.

I'm pretty excited for today. Best boxing day of the year for me.

Joshua vs Breazeale I think will be an easy victory for AJ. I've seen videos of Breazeale and while I don't doubt he packs a nice straight right hand, he really lacks the movement. He won't go past six rounds IMO.

But Groves vs Murray will be brilliant. I'm not a Groves hater, but I want Murray to win a world title. The guy was robbed against both Abraham and Martinez and they are tough fights.

Murray for me is one of the unluckiest fighters in boxing. There have been world champions past and present who don't have his ability. He's really one of the best out there not to ever win a world title IMO.

But the one I'm really looking forward to is in the US. Thurman vs Porter. I don't really like how Showtime are building this up as the two best welterweights out there - Kell Brook beat Porter, but everyone seems to have forgotten!

Thurman for me is number one in the division though. I think the guy is brilliant, both in and out of the ring. Very intelligent.

53 minutes ago, sage said:

Joshua won in 7 rounds. Battered him every round.

Breazeale showed great heart, but he barely threw a meaningful punch all night. He just acted like a punching bag. Not knocking him or AJ's decision to fight him, but I'm not sure how AJ can learn from this.

I want to see his defence really tested. He has amazingly quick hand speed for his size, but I want to see how quickly he can move his feet and hips under pressure.

I'd like to see him take on someone like Wach or Pulev. Can't see Chisora being a good fight, he'd just treat it like the Tyson Fury fight and be another sitting duck taking shots.

I know everyone wants to see him in with Wilder, Fury and Haye, but after those three there is nothing else out there. Need to let those fights bubble for a bit.

Pulev would be a good test. I'd like that! 

Thought Whyte looked poor. Really impatient and expected the guy to be knocked out quick... then moaned that the guy didn't fight. Er, he boxed pretty well for a cruiserweight!!! Not going to trade with you is he? 

Groves looked good

Eubank Jnr clearly too good for British level fighters but thought Doran did ok. But I won't cry when Golovkin knocks the cnut out. Might like him if it wasn't for his Dad and his dad seems sound when away from the boxing world but as a pair... knobbers.

Felix Cash fight was good. 

Was a good night. Worthy PPV? Dunno about on paper but after watching it there's was some real good clashes

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Thurman vs Porter lived up to its billing. Potential fight of the year, was brilliant.

I was fast asleep! Saw the result and read about it.

Fans booed the decision? Was it dubious?

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

I was fast asleep! Saw the result and read about it.

Fans booed the decision? Was it dubious?

I don't think so. Thurman looked the better fighter, but Porter obviously has higher work rate and pinned him against the ropes a few times which made it look like he was dominating.

Porter threw marginally more jabs, but Thurman connected with a lot more power punches.

They'll do it again for sure, but I think Thurman will want to beat Danny Garcia, and then have a unification with Kell Brook for all four belts (assuming Brook beats Vargas) and the ring magazine title.

Thurman, Brook and Garcia are all undefeated belt holders. Somebody has to lose their 0 and their belt!

Got to give massive credit to Thurman though. Porter had no belt and wasn't his mandatory. He just wanted to beat another top name for his CV. Puts Brook to shame really.

I'm a big KT fan. Want him to clean up the division.