Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Gutted for Dave Ryan. 

Can see why Josh Taylor has got big names backing him. Incredible.

Barry Mcguigan is a bit of a knobber. He's moaning about Clifton Mitchell being an grump!!!? Says Mr 2 second fuse!!? 

Didn't expect Taylor to be like that. Maturity the way he got into the fight. Good power, relentless pace and awesome accuracy. He got suckered into a trap once in 5 rounds with a guy that's beaten Tyrone Nurse and JW Hibbert (would hsve been 3 times if not injury), went the distance with Eggington. Think that was pretty much the only moment the fight evened up. Didn't last long. 

Good fights on undercard too. 

Better show than Haye put on last time when channel 5 missed 6 rounds of the best fight. Too busy promoting a boxer as "friends with Paris Hilton"... 

Hope Ryan fights Ohara Davis before he bows out. Love to see him shut that hype down. Annoying gobshite

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone see Groves last night? Good performance but the German boxer kept coming back for more. Hopefully he is ok after being taken to the hospital.

My only criticism of St George was that he left himself awfully open at times. Not sure if he is destined to become a world champ, Badu Jack might of been his chance. 

Kovalev vs Ward tonight. Potentially fight of the year, but I can imagine Ward just playing safe, being too slick and winning by UD. It's not often when two fighters come together and you genuinely like both.

One of them is going to lose their perfect records, and it's going to be hard for them to get over the loss.

Both are without doubt the two best fighters at light heavyweight (175). How often can you say that the two best in their division, both in their primes, actually fight each other? Both deserve massive respect.

Others, such as Canelo, BJS, Danny Garcia, Deontay Wilder and Carl Frampton need to take note. Fight the best in your division! Don't just sit on your belts defending against weak mandatorys.

I know Frampton fought Leo Santa Cruz, but ducking Rigondeaux was a joke. 

Ward v Kovalev was a good fight. I thought when Ward was knocked over in the second that he'd struggle, but he was classy from there on in.

I had Ward by 2 rounds, he outboxed and out though Kovalev, and if they have a rematch then he will win by a wide points decision. Ward is P4P champ no question. Phenomenal boxer that's massively underrated.  

Only just watched Ward v Kovalev. 

I had Ward winning 7 and Kovalev 5. But Obviously he scored the knockdown so what's that? 114 - 113 to Ward? 

Definitely worth doing again. But I can understand if Ward doesn't see why he should. So long as he won the fight in his own mind and with the judges then why would he need to prove anything. Kovalev will be gutted he didn't build on those opening 5 rounds and didn't do more in the last round. 

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

Only just watched Ward v Kovalev. 

I had Ward winning 7 and Kovalev 5. But Obviously he scored the knockdown so what's that? 114 - 113 to Ward? 

Definitely worth doing again. But I can understand if Ward doesn't see why he should. So long as he won the fight in his own mind and with the judges then why would he need to prove anything. Kovalev will be gutted he didn't build on those opening 5 rounds and didn't do more in the last round. 

I had it six rounds each, with the knockdown giving Kovalev a 114-113 win.

I think they'll do it again. There doesn't seem to be much else out there at light heavy, and with the fight being so intriguing a rematch would make them shed loads of money.

I could even see them facing off a few times as I doubt they will find a better opponent for the rest of their careers.

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I had it six rounds each, with the knockdown giving Kovalev a 114-113 win.

I think they'll do it again. There doesn't seem to be much else out there at light heavy, and with the fight being so intriguing a rematch would make them shed loads of money.

I could even see them facing off a few times as I doubt they will find a better opponent for the rest of their careers.

There's the WBC he could try and get or would he drop down to Super Middle again. Some good fights at that level that he'd win? 

I dunno, hope they do though. 

I've only just seen that Ortiz will fight Dave Allen on the 10th. WTF? 

Dave Allen is going to be a punchbag because he's pretty tough but has nothing at all to hurt Ortiz. He doesn't even have the boxing skill to somehow win on points. 

And Billy Joe Saunders has had his fight delayed another week. Might as well retire that belt.

• 2 weeks later...

The fight will go...

Round 1: Mostly just a range finder with a few big bombs from Whyte.

Round 2 - 5: A fight where two big blokes try to knock each other out but are both to fresh to get hurt

Round 6 - 12: Both men tire. Whyte has enough energy to throw more punches. Chisora defends 

Whyte wins on points. 

Concepcion will be most underrated fight on the night. Katie Taylor will be good. Joshua will take 5-7 rounds to pull apart Molina without looking troubled. 

Be good entertainment though. Apart from Allen v Ortiz which is a total mismatch and Allen's team should be ashamed that they're sending a nice young lad in with a guy who's many levels ahead. And Allen is a tough fecker so hopefully he doesn't get really hurt as Ortiz uses him as a punch bag. Think Blackwell v Eubank

Hoping for Whyte to beat Chisora, time for Derek to hang up his gloves. His last fight v Fury was tedious in the extreme. 

Joshua over Molina, but I hope Molina puts him on his backside at some point (10/1) and Joshua gets up to knock him out. 

Whyte v Chisora was brilliant.

Joshua blasts through another. 18 fights old and people want more and more. Celebrate him! He's a dedicated athlete and excellent entertainment. 

You see so many people up Tyson's bum but we've got our own Tyson now. 

Quigg had a big win. Allen just needs a team that cares about him.

Luis Ortiz doesn't look too great to me in his last 2 fights. I think all those that thought he was too high risk and low reward will probably be feeling a little less worried. Allen has always had a head like a rock but Ortiz doesn't look the fittest or hardest to hit. 

Be interesting to see how aggressive Wlad is in April. If he fights like he did v Fury then he's getting beat. If he uses that jab he used to keep opponents teed up with then it should be awesome

I think what makes you Champion in boxing is purely who's on your record and how feared you are. Sort of a combination.

If a guy is willing to risk his record and he's winning fights then he doesn't need a belt. 

I mean I think Wlad is still the man to beat. He doesn't need belts to be the main man

Joshua is a world Champion but some would say only tonight has he left the world level behind to go onto the elite stage. 

Fury wasn't really rated until he pulled of a big upset. If he'd done it again there would be no doubt that he'd be number 1

Wilder has an immense record but the names on it only prove he's like Joshua, ready for super fights. There's no super fights on his record. Stiverne and Molina prove he's ready for a super fight

Povetkin also in that elite division but losing to Wlad shows he's perhaps not #1. He's got Stiverne soon and needs to win

Joseph Parker also has a pampered record but close wins over Takam and Ruiz probably put him up there. 

Haye similar to Povetkin but has been upset a couple of times so there's question marks over him. 

Ortiz, Pulev...

Until these guys start getting in together then Wlad and Fury will be the only one that has come through the biggest challenges. 

I think Joshua will go through Wlad. And pretty soon whether he's holding 1 belt or 2 belts he will be the man to beat. 

We need Fury back to prove he's not just done what Brewster did. Or Rahman to Lewis. Until then i'd honestly say Wlad is the man to beat and still true champion of the HW division. 

The excitement is there though because a lot of these guys only have each other left now. The Fury win has opened the division. 

2017 kicks off with Povetkin v Stiverne and Joshua v Wlad. Chance for Povetkin to get back in the mix and Joshua to prove Wlad days as top dog are over

(Lucas Browne is just a joke)

Ive watched all of Joseph Parker's latest fights, and I wouldn't have him up there to be honest. His trainer's hair annoys me immensely too. And all his fights are black tie events in a village hall. 

I also had Chisorv v Whyte  as a draw. Would love a rematch with proper tables.