Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

27 minutes ago, Norman said:

Ive watched all of Joseph Parker's latest fights, and I wouldn't have him up there to be honest. His trainer's hair annoys me immensely too. And all his fights are black tie events in a village hall. 

I also had Chisorv v Whyte  as a draw. Would love a rematch with proper tables.

I thought it was a draw or Chisora. But I'm glad both men went the distance. 

Did you see Parker today? Not seen it yet. I watched him fight Takam and for a bloke with a reputation for power he was landing some great jabs that Takam was walking through. Literally walked through Parker's punches no problem. He looks like he is only going to go to the top by out boxing people?

What do you think to Ortiz? To me he looks like Shannon Briggs. He's got 4 rounds to get them out of there otherwise he's getting hurt by the first big puncher he fights

On 11/12/2016 at 02:16, Alpha said:

I thought it was a draw or Chisora. But I'm glad both men went the distance. 

Did you see Parker today? Not seen it yet. I watched him fight Takam and for a bloke with a reputation for power he was landing some great jabs that Takam was walking through. Literally walked through Parker's punches no problem. He looks like he is only going to go to the top by out boxing people?

What do you think to Ortiz? To me he looks like Shannon Briggs. He's got 4 rounds to get them out of there otherwise he's getting hurt by the first big puncher he fights

You seen the Parker fight yet? Looks to me like a big puncher who knocks out bums from Oceania, but lacks said power when he fights anyone half decent. Classy boxer, fast, but not world class imo. Even Bellew has a belt these days lol. 

Ortiz is dangerous, but as you say only like Briggs is.

Can't wait for Haye to start getting the big fights. I like him, don't know why. I know hes after the payday every time, but I'd love to see him in these big fights that are now going to have to happen. It's impossible for them all to stop avoiding each other now.

Bellew is in trouble in that fight. I think its dangerous, maybe reckless by everyone involved. Haye has so much speed and power, he's gone down on his arse against much less than Haye. He hasnt even got the footwork or the speed that Haye has.

I don't like him, but I wouldn't want to see him hurt as badly as I think he might get.

Really happy for Groves too. Another world title shot. He will do it this time.

9 minutes ago, Norman said:

You seen the Parker fight yet? Looks to me like a big puncher who knocks out bums from Oceania, but lacks said power when he fights anyone half decent. Classy boxer, fast, but not world class imo. Even Bellew has a belt these days lol. 

Ortiz is dangerous, but as you say only like Briggs is.

Can't wait for Haye to start getting the big fights. I like him, don't know why. I know hes after the payday every time, but I'd love to see him in these big fights that are now going to have to happen. It's impossible for them all to stop avoiding each other now.

Bellew is in trouble in that fight. I think its dangerous, maybe reckless by everyone involved. Haye has so much speed and power, he's gone down on his arse against much less than Haye. He hasnt even got the footwork or the speed that Haye has.

I don't like him, but I wouldn't want to see him hurt as badly as I think he might get.

I haven't had chance yet. Just seen highlights

We're going to clash here good sir. I'm team Bellew.

I think Haye is a brilliant fighter. His speed is amazing. But I can't stand the bloke. I respect why he fights. Get in, make money, get out. But it doesn't really help the fun in the sport. I hate that his career is so low risk and high reward. He'll get in with Joshua because it's worth money. No way on earth will he risk getting beat before then. And that's Haye's career. It's about paydays not glory. It's about being rich not the best. 

What makes this all the more frustrating is that he's a brilliant fighter. But he dips his toe in, sees if it's worth money before walking away if not. 

I mean he's fighting Bellew at heavyweight. He could have taken the WBO route, he could have fought Briggs. But he's picked the most profitable easiest fight. As a fan of the sport that's a bit pooh. But i suppose it's smart. In a way.

Agree on the fight though. Bellew likes a scrap. But he's not got speed, skills or power to match Haye. As soon as he loses his composure and starts trying to trade he'll find Haye just picks him off. I think Bellew's power and resilience are respectable. But Haye is an elite boxer with a brilliant defence. Bellew doesn't bring enough.

I just hope that Haye is rusty. His last real fight was what? 2012? But against those clowns he fought this year he still looks so fast

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I haven't had chance yet. Just seen highlights

We're going to clash here good sir. I'm team Bellew.

I think Haye is a brilliant fighter. His speed is amazing. But I can't stand the bloke. I respect why he fights. Get in, make money, get out. But it doesn't really help the fun in the sport. I hate that his career is so low risk and high reward. He'll get in with Joshua because it's worth money. No way on earth will he risk getting beat before then. And that's Haye's career. It's about paydays not glory. It's about being rich not the best. 

What makes this all the more frustrating is that he's a brilliant fighter. But he dips his toe in, sees if it's worth money before walking away if not. 

I mean he's fighting Bellew at heavyweight. He could have taken the WBO route, he could have fought Briggs. But he's picked the most profitable easiest fight. As a fan of the sport that's a bit pooh. But i suppose it's smart. In a way.

Agree on the fight though. Bellew likes a scrap. But he's not got speed, skills or power to match Haye. As soon as he loses his composure and starts trying to trade he'll find Haye just picks him off. I think Bellew's power and resilience are respectable. But Haye is an elite boxer with a brilliant defence. Bellew doesn't bring enough.

I just hope that Haye is rusty. His last real fight was what? 2012? But against those clowns he fought this year he still looks so fast

I agree with everything you say. I just like him still. Dont know why, I know hes after the notes, I know he ducks and dives, I know he takes fights he shouldn't. I mean, he has no reason to fight Bellew. Apart from money. However, i find him the best heavyweight to watch. He's got it all.

The two fights earlier this year were a disgrace, but I genuinely believe him when he says he couldn't get anyone to fight him. I mean, who would if the money isn't there? I don't believe the ppv business with the Briggs fight. He was building it up, put him on the under card, then found bigger and more lucrative offers. Still like him though. I like Groves too, and he's a bit odd. I think I will support him because of the Froch fights. 

I hope Joshua v Haye happens.

10 minutes ago, Norman said:

I agree with everything you say. I just like him still. Dont know why, I know hes after the notes, I know he ducks and dives, I know he takes fights he shouldn't. I mean, he has no reason to fight Bellew. Apart from money. However, i find him the best heavyweight to watch. He's got it all.

The two fights earlier this year were a disgrace, but I genuinely believe him when he says he couldn't get anyone to fight him. I mean, who would if the money isn't there? I don't believe the ppv business with the Briggs fight. He was building it up, put him on the under card, then found bigger and more lucrative offers. Still like him though. I like Groves too, and he's a bit odd. I think I will support him because of the Froch fights. 

I hope Joshua v Haye happens.

I like Groves. He is weird though. And it seems like he's been around forever. He's looking really sharp too don't you think?

It'll happen I think. But for Joshua to fight Haye I think Haye might have to either make the public demand big enough or go make himself mandatory or get a title AJ wants. 

For Joshua he can get easier superfights. Still high risk but with high reward. What does Haye have that Joshua needs. He doesn't have a 0. No belts. He's not really got a major following. 

He goes for Wlad because 1) It's an aging legend beaten by Fury 2) there's another title on the line

He'll have Wilder 1) Undefeated with huge record 2) title 3) Cracks America

He'll have Fury 1) Public demand 2) Undefeated 3) awkward but not a big hitter

He'll have Parker 1) Undefeated 2) title 

Ortiz 1) Undefeated 2)Public demand if Hearn can sell him 

That's over a year worth of fights where he can get high rewards. 

Imagine if he lost to Haye. Be terrible for his career. I'm sure Joshua would take the fight but his team and Hearn wouldn't touch it.

Haye played a smart move by attacking Hearn. Make Hearn dislike him, make it a rivalry. The public love a rivalry and Hearn might just bite.

Did you see him give Hearn some? Do you think Haye would win?

11 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I like Groves. He is weird though. And it seems like he's been around forever. He's looking really sharp too don't you think?

It'll happen I think. But for Joshua to fight Haye I think Haye might have to either make the public demand big enough or go make himself mandatory or get a title AJ wants. 

For Joshua he can get easier superfights. Still high risk but with high reward. What does Haye have that Joshua needs. He doesn't have a 0. No belts. He's not really got a major following. 

He goes for Wlad because 1) It's an aging legend beaten by Fury 2) there's another title on the line

He'll have Wilder 1) Undefeated with huge record 2) title 3) Cracks America

He'll have Fury 1) Public demand 2) Undefeated 3) awkward but not a big hitter

He'll have Parker 1) Undefeated 2) title 

Ortiz 1) Undefeated 2)Public demand if Hearn can sell him 

That's over a year worth of fights where he can get high rewards. 

Imagine if he lost to Haye. Be terrible for his career. I'm sure Joshua would take the fight but his team and Hearn wouldn't touch it.

Haye played a smart move by attacking Hearn. Make Hearn dislike him, make it a rivalry. The public love a rivalry and Hearn might just bite.

Did you see him give Hearn some? Do you think Haye would win?

Yeah, that press conference was brilliant wasn't it? Completely premeditated, well thought out and Eddie bit there and then, which surprised me. There was obviously a lot of demands from behind the scenes neither team liked, but the money is too big not to over look them. Bellow knew what Haye was doing too and managed to save Eddie a bit by talking over him, which takes some doing. Haye would win for me, if they fight in the next year.

On Groves, I think that bloke is still in a coma from his last fight.  His jab has always been world class, but recently it looks like its the best around. It's so solid, it's marking people up straight away. I'd love DeGale v Groves. That's if Chunky beats Badou.

I like watching Groves. Love his style. Looked good against Murray, looked brilliant last time out. Maybe Shane is going to get the best out of him. Elite boxer who should have done more by now imo.

Boxing really is at a great level in the UK right now.

A few fights that simply have to happen

Joshua vs Haye (assuming both remain unbeaten)

Selby vs Frampton (Should happen regardless of whether Frampton beats LSC in the rematch)

Degale vs Groves II (assuming Groves wins his world title fight and Degale beats Badou Jack. Another unification)

Khan vs Brook (surely Brook has now proven himself. GGG and Shawn Porter are up there with anyone Khan has ever fought so he can no longer use that excuse)

Crolla vs Flanagan (Crolla deserves another title shot. Why not against a fellow Brit?)

Billy Joe vs Eubank (Eubank needs to stop talking trash and prove himself)

Khalid Yafai vs Lee Haskins (Probably pushing it but if Yafai decides to move up, why not take on another world title holder at Bantamweight in Haskins? Would like to see Yafai vs Roman Gonzalez first though!)

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched Degale vs Badou Jack. Was a very competitive fight with both scoring a knockdown each.

Was scored a majority draw, with 113-113 on two judges cards and 114-112 Degale on another.

Mayweather and Jack were both dismissive of the result afterwards calling it a bad night for boxing. I had Degale winning, regardless of the late knockdown.

It was a really hard fight to judge. Degale looked the classier, and he was well out infront after the first five rounds but he just switched off and allowed Jack to steal the middle rounds.

Degale easily took 9, 10 and 11, but that last round knockdown for Jack was a major turning point.

Jack was excellent in defence with the way he blocked shots, but as for punching I felt he barely troubled Degale aside from the 7th or 8th (can't remember) when he had a good spell on top and in the last round.

I was surprised to hear after that Jack is now looking to move up to light heavy. He never struck me as a big supermiddle, and at light heavy he would get destroyed by both Ward and Kovalev.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Just watched Degale vs Badou Jack. Was a very competitive fight with both scoring a knockdown each.

Was scored a majority draw, with 113-113 on two judges cards and 114-112 Degale on another.

Mayweather and Jack were both dismissive of the result afterwards calling it a bad night for boxing. I had Degale winning, regardless of the late knockdown.

It was a really hard fight to judge. Degale looked the classier, and he was well out infront after the first five rounds but he just switched off and allowed Jack to steal the middle rounds.

Degale easily took 9, 10 and 11, but that last round knockdown for Jack was a major turning point.

Jack was excellent in defence with the way he blocked shots, but as for punching I felt he barely troubled Degale aside from the 7th or 8th (can't remember) when he had a good spell on top and in the last round.

I was surprised to hear after that Jack is now looking to move up to light heavy. He never struck me as a big supermiddle, and at light heavy he would get destroyed by both Ward and Kovalev.

I listened to it on 5 live. They had virtually given it to Jack at the end of the fight and were surprised when the verdict came through. Mike Costello is usually a fair judge but he did say it was very close. 

In the radio interviews afterwards Jack and Mayweather totally dismissed a rematch and as you say are looking to move up. 

I thought Jack won. Degale was the busier fighter but a lot of his work was landing on Jack's guard. Thought Jack landed the cleaner shots, the more accurate, harder shots.

Even the knockdowns. Obviously they both score 10-8 rounds but Jack's fall was more of a balance thing. He didn't see it coming, caught him flat footed and dropped him. But it was no damage. Degale was proper rattled. 

Degale kind of deserved a draw for his workrate and his resilience and he did land some good shots. 

Can't see how one judge gave it Degale. He must like workrate. Jack did more damage. You can understand a draw but no way can I see a Degale win. 

In fact you only have to read a few reviews from fans and you can see how a draw seems fair.

@Bris Vegas you had Degale but I just can't see it. I thought was busy and his attack sort of formed his defence but when Jack came, he came hard. It's one of those where it depends what you look for. Carl Froch always says that sometimes it's not good to even take harmless range finding jabs because some judges score them. Some judges will give a fighter the edge just for walking forward.

One judge went for Canelo over Mayweather. Corruption? I doubt it. Probably just gave the closest rounds to the more aggressive where other judges admired the defensive counter punching a bit more.

Mayweather said it's the second time Jack has had bad judge calls. Maybe it's because he fights on the back foot so much? If he was more proactive then he might have won the points. But if he was more proactive he'd be a totally different fighter... 

As if he needs to move up now. wtf? He could do a rematch. Andre Ward isn't going anywhere within the next year. Plus he stands more chance of beating Degale. Why skip a fight that will make money? The Degale fight might not be there if he Jack loses to Ward. If he can't beat Degale then I don't think he can beat Ward?  

• 1 month later...

I never want to see a boxer get hurt but if David Haye gets hurt then I wouldn't even have a shred of sympathy. Never liked him before this fight. Talking about trying to hit people while they fall.

I've gone Haye to win in round 7. 

But I can't wait to the day he gets destroyed. If the bully ever fights anyone on his level. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

I never want to see a boxer get hurt but if David Haye gets hurt then I wouldn't even have a shred of sympathy. Never liked him before this fight. Talking about trying to hit people while they fall.

I've gone Haye to win in round 7. 

But I can't wait to the day he gets destroyed. If the bully ever fights anyone on his level. 

It's a tough one.

Bellew is trying to play the innocent, caring card in his interviews but he's just as bad. He blasted Haye for his comments during the Liverpool presser, but it was actually Bellew who blurted out the 'F' word twice before Haye went on his rant.

Bellew is trying to take the moral high ground, but let's not forget he is only in this fight with Haye because he acted like a clown and called him out (seemingly out of nowehere) after winning his world title.

He talked himself into the fight by acting like a punk, and now he's trying to come across as the nice guy. It's all too false for my liking and it will be interesting to see how he handles the fight. He's a massive underdog.

I will go for Haye within six rounds. Bellew's defence isn't great, and against a weaker opponent in Adonis Stevenson he got outclassed and was found wanting.

The big fight I'm looking forward to though is Thurman vs Garcia. The Welterweight division IMO is the best out there with a bunch of recognisable faces. So many excellent fighters at that level.

Hope Thurman smashes him and fights the winner of Brook/Spence.

Liked your post, Alpha, but i disagree lol.

I know exactly where you're coming from. I just cant stand Bellew. Ever since the Cleverley build up, I just havent liked him. Haye knows how to sell a fight, though. I bet the Ppv numbers are huge, especially for a none title fight. I'm looking forward to seeing Haye's trust in his shoulder if it gets a bit tougher than he expects. Hopefully this leads to him taking on the winner of Klit or Joshua. Not that he deserves the shot at a title, but his style would suit a Joshua clash.

29 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It's a tough one.

Bellew is trying to play the innocent, caring card in his interviews but he's just as bad. He blasted Haye for his comments during the Liverpool presser, but it was actually Bellew who blurted out the 'F' word twice before Haye went on his rant.

Bellew is trying to take the moral high ground, but let's not forget he is only in this fight with Haye because he acted like a clown and called him out (seemingly out of nowehere) after winning his world title.

He talked himself into the fight by acting like a punk, and now he's trying to come across as the nice guy. It's all too false for my liking and it will be interesting to see how he handles the fight. He's a massive underdog.

I will go for Haye within six rounds. Bellew's defence isn't great, and against a weaker opponent in Adonis Stevenson he got outclassed and was found wanting.

The big fight I'm looking forward to though is Thurman vs Garcia. The Welterweight division IMO is the best out there with a bunch of recognisable faces. So many excellent fighters at that level.

Hope Thurman smashes him and fights the winner of Brook/Spence.

I've always likes Bellew. You're right in what he's doing. It's all very measured PR. But I never liked Haye and he's being a complete tool. 

Brook v Spence should be epic. If that's the alternative to Brook v Khan then thank God Khan has been looking for the next big payday to get knocked out rather 

Did you watch Eubank Jnr the other week? Still lacks power which will keep him from going to the top. He's not going to the top of Super Middle. 

Pretty sure I saw Bellew v an Argentinian on a Froch undercard at the icerink a few years ago. It wasn't the prettiest of fights and I got the impression he lacked a punch. His best chance is to test Haye's stamina and heart in the later rounds. 

I always usually want Haye to lose, i cant stand the man But in this fight id rather he win, i hate bellew far more.

all those scousers at the press conference shouting out thinking they're funny. Haye was right to call them a bunch of retards i really hope he puts Bellew away early. He'll beat him by KO miles better boxer, technically better, bigger & stronger 

10 hours ago, Norman said:

Liked your post, Alpha, but i disagree lol.

I know exactly where you're coming from. I just cant stand Bellew. Ever since the Cleverley build up, I just havent liked him. Haye knows how to sell a fight, though. I bet the Ppv numbers are huge, especially for a none title fight. I'm looking forward to seeing Haye's trust in his shoulder if it gets a bit tougher than he expects. Hopefully this leads to him taking on the winner of Klit or Joshua. Not that he deserves the shot at a title, but his style would suit a Joshua clash.

Can't criticise Hayes ability. And I think Bellew would have been better off calling out Chisora or Whyte if he wants a big hyped up payday with a heavyweight so his belt isn't on the line. 

He's gone and called out a man that's going to be hard to exploit on any level. I agree with Bellew on how Haye has managed his comeback but that's not for Bellew to step in as an opponent. 

If he'd called out Whyte then you'd get all the drama. You'd keep your belt. And you'd be facing a heavyweight that struggled with the mobility of a cruiserweight last year. He's mad. 

That Cleverly fight was the worst hype/fight. Everyone expected another tear up. What a flop. 

I reckon Haye will score an early knockdown but Bellew won't go out easy. I reckon it will finish with Bellew on the ropes not replying.

Did anyone watch David Price v Christian Hammer, Wilder Washington or McConnell v Vargas?