Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

5 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I have to agree with this. The Eubank's are in danger of making themselves impossible to work with and its Eubank Jr that will suffer. The best thing he could do is completely remove his mental father from the equation and get his head down with a decent trainer.

He was with Booth briefly and he wanted no more to do with them. His dad is ruining his career, it's a real shame.

8 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

The two guys no one wants to fight just decide to face off against each other, makes sense in a way. I'm a Brook fan, followed him ever since that undercard appearance in the USA way back, seen him in Sheffield also. I will concede that the odds are against Kell here but they are for anyone that steps in with GGG. Kell has a habit of stepping up when needed and has shown he only gets better under pressure. I'm interested to see how he fills out and the extra power he brings at 160 when he isn't drained.

Looking at the pics from NY the size difference isn't big and I think Kell will surprise people even if he doesn't get the win. GGG is there to be hit but so far no one has had the power to worry him. Kell might have to fight a new type of fight, his usual style isn't the best way to go against GGG. Apprehensively looking forward to this fight.

David Lemieux is a top ten power puncher in the world. His knockout ratio heading in to the Golovkin fight was 31 from 36, a pretty decent record I must say. Yet he just got blasted out.

I think Brook is a technical fighter. His jabs and straight rights are brilliant, but he's not a knockout artist and Golovkin has never been put on the mat in his life (so they say!).

I can't see how he can possibly win this fight. Golovkin is a boxer, he'll cut off the ring and trade. They keep saying Brook is a huge Welterweight, I hope that's true as he will need power in this fight.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

David Lemieux is a top ten power puncher in the world. His knockout ratio heading in to the Golovkin fight was 31 from 36, a pretty decent record I must say. Yet he just got blasted out.

I think Brook is a technical fighter. His jabs and straight rights are brilliant, but he's not a knockout artist and Golovkin has never been put on the mat in his life (so they say!).

I can't see how he can possibly win this fight. Golovkin is a boxer, he'll cut off the ring and trade. They keep saying Brook is a huge Welterweight, I hope that's true as he will need power in this fight.

Lemieux is a KO artist against everyone except top level as his record shows. I don't think losing in 8 rounds is getting blasted out either, GGG methodically worked him. Took the sting out of him then went to work. GGG is more tactically adaptive than a lot of people realise.

Many fighters that know people that have worked with Kell are saying he's a different beast when not drained so we'll see. Like I said he's going to need to bring something special, Kell's standard style plays in to GGG hands. That said there is something about Kell in pressure situations, the fact that GGG is there to be hit as well gives him hope. I'll be rooting for him anyway but I like GGG also, he's a good ambassador for the sport rather than a guy that nicknames himself 'money'.

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Prediction Wilder v Arreola

Wilder to be shy in the first two or three, then it be scrappy and ugly but all Wilder for the middle rounds and then a knockout in the 8th. 

Yeah Wilder by KO for me as well, Arreola not really half the fighter he used to be and that fighter wasn't much imo.

Retirement in the end. What was up with Wilder's arm? 

No chance he'll get a Brit fight this year. 

It'll be spring 2017. Bet Joshua will give him a go next summer if he can get through Parker and then the bigger risk Stiverne comfortably

• 2 weeks later...

Leo Santa Cruz vs. Carl Frampton for WBA featherweight title this Saturday night: I think both are really good fighters, but imo biggest factor of the fight is that Santa Cruz is just bigger and longer than Frampton, and with Frampton moving up in weight, think Santa Cruz will be too much and win in a decision.

Thoughts on this or the other fights this weekend? (Mikey Garcia vs. Elio Rojas, etc.?)

• 1 month later...

Golovkin v Brook this weekend.

Going for Golovkin to win by KO.  Round 7. Don't think Brook will have much joy.

In other news the WBA is keen on making Haye and Eubank Jnr champions. Wants Haye to fight anything that can enter a ring to make him #1 contender. And wants Eubank Jnr to enter a mini tournament.  Probably feel like they're missing out on the big rivalries and big names a bit. Boxing politics is a bit *****. 

It's Smith v Canelo next week too. Be better than the Khan fight

Remember Fury and Billy Joe Saunders? They used to be boxers...

Price v Parker for a shot at AJ is apparently close according to Hearn. 

Be a decent fight. Think Joseph Parker's KO record is a bit flattering. I don't think he looks to have amazing power. Awesome accuracy though. I know Takam is tough but Parker was landing some good shots but he didn't rock Takam. Watched some of his other fights and it's hard to tell because he's not really fought anyone too hot. Price gets a lot of stick but he's alright. 

This Saturday though... really hoping for a blockbuster. You can always hit Golovkin because he will walk through 2 to give 1. So I reckon you'll be able to tell early how it's going to go. If Golovkin feels Brook's power and keeps coming I think it will just be a matter of time. He's relentless. If Golovkin doesn't like being hit then it could go on to be a great punch up. 

They're trying to get Pulev for Joshua but Hearn says Pulev doesn't seem to want it. Stiverne will go for Povetkin. Who they gonna fight?? They need a couple of decent tests because they want a big one in the summer in 2 fights time. 

In local news Dave Ryan is set to head to Scotland to fight a lad that they have huuuuuge hopes for. Josh Taylor has been backed by some big names. 

Fury v Wlad is back on. 

Billy Joe Saunders is still a gobshite who's going to defend his world title on mandatory only. Knob. 

2 hours ago, reveldevil said:

You buying the fight @Alpha?

I would love to see Special K win, but not sure I can justify the cost after 2 ppv already this year with Joshua, seeing as I'll miss most of the undercard while at footy.

Virgin bill is getting stupid now!

I have one of those firesticks with Kodi on. It probably puts me up there with Al Capone.

I recommend them, revel

Thing is the GGG V Brook will be on YouTube by Sunday dinner at least. 

I payed for a Joshua one before and it was on YouTube by 8am Sunday. 

Golovkin v Brook is inescapable right now. I can't remember the last time Sky Sports promoted a fight so heavily.

Whatever happens, Kell Brook is the only winner here. I hope I am not doing him a disservice by saying this. He isn't a star. He isn't a household name. He isn't a needle mover. So the timing, the choice of opponent and the whole narrative all point to one thing - he has been blinded by the money and exposure on offer. This will be the biggest payday of his career, the biggest fight of his career and possibly a golden parachute into retirement.

I know Brook is a world champion, he is held in extremely high regard in boxing circles and he is anything but a sacrificial lamb. But despite all of Brook's talent, the more and more I think about it, the more and more I feel this is nothing but an opportunistic, shameless cash grab.

Brook says he is ready for this, he says he is in great shape, he says he wasn't fighting at his full potential at welterweight and that middleweight will be a better, more natural fit. If so, why would you put your body through such an agonising cut so often and for so long? It doesn't take 12 years and 36 fights to realise your skills would translate better at a higher weight class.

But even if we give him the benefit of the doubt, why would he then jump straight in with the middleweight world champion and arguably the most formidable and dangerous fighter on the planet? Knowing how dangerous Golovkin is and the mind-bending hype behind him, surely the smart thing to do would be to bide your time and build yourself up properly.

As it is, this fight sells because credible opponents are not exactly in a hurry to face Golovkin. But to me, it sells even more if Kell either clears out his current division or gets fights under his belt in the new weight class and appears a more credible and fearsome challenger. Taking the fight now, I get the feeling he is gearing up for retirement with one or two big money fights. With Mayweather off the table, there is only the Amir Khan fight that could come close to matching this and it's never looked close to coming together.

Right now, Brook comes across as a plucky underdog that can't be entirely discounted, in the same way we would if we were playing a cup tie against Manchester City at PP. 

This is a massive banana skin for Golovkin and almost certainly, a no-win situation. I think Brook will cause him some headaches but ultimately, I think Golovkin's power will prove too much in the end and he'll get the stoppage in the 8th round.

Great post. 

Brook has deserved big fights and he's really struggled to sell himself. 

Really excited for it. It's been sold really well. The hype has been done extremely well.

And Eubank Jnr should be telling his Dad to feck off back to the 90's for messing this up. 

KB will have to fight better than ever before to win this one. 

GGG is a machine, throws constant body shots and has a fantastic KO rate he also cuts off the ring quickly so his opponent has nowhere to go.

Should be a cracker..............

Golovkin was a bit light at the weigh in. Not usually this light. 

Rumours that he's jet lagged and/or ill. 

Think its all just to get more excitement around the possibility of Brook pulling off an upset. But the weight is a bit odd. 

But then he's fighting a welterweight. A heavy welter or even a suitable light middle. But still not a middleweight. So he could just be going with a different approach. 

Brook is still going to feel power like never before. That's a test that Sky haven't mentioned. 

Not too sure I will get through my bag of popcorn for this one, might be over by 5?

Brook needs to KO the machine early as the extra pounds he is carrying might cause him to slow and with the machine constant punches added to that.

Paper and head say the machine

But we had a similar fight between the ragamuffin  [Lloyd Honeyghan] and the best pound for pound fighter in the world at that time Don Curry - Honeyghan completely out boxed him and took Curry apart for a major upset.

So anything is possible!