Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

13 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don't think so. Thurman looked the better fighter, but Porter obviously has higher work rate and pinned him against the ropes a few times which made it look like he was dominating.

Porter threw marginally more jabs, but Thurman connected with a lot more power punches.

They'll do it again for sure, but I think Thurman will want to beat Danny Garcia, and then have a unification with Kell Brook for all four belts (assuming Brook beats Vargas) and the ring magazine title.

Thurman, Brook and Garcia are all undefeated belt holders. Somebody has to lose their 0 and their belt!

Got to give massive credit to Thurman though. Porter had no belt and wasn't his mandatory. He just wanted to beat another top name for his CV. Puts Brook to shame really.

I'm a big KT fan. Want him to clean up the division.

Is it Brooks fault he doesn't get big fights though?

Or is he like Luis Ortiz in the heavy division? Far too dangerous and not going to fetch enough money to risk your record? 

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

Is it Brooks fault he doesn't get big fights though?

Or is he like Luis Ortiz in the heavy division? Far too dangerous and not going to fetch enough money to risk your record? 

I think he must take some of the blame. I can understand why he wants to hold on to the IBF, and thus has to face his mandatory challengers or potentially lose the belt. His injury set him back a year.

But he doesn't want to take any risks. He wants big fights in the UK, and so far is unwilling to go to America again and face the big names. He only wants belt holders, which limits his options.

There are so many belts in boxing these days that a decent resume is far more impressive than holding on to your belt for so long. Brook surely must understand this.

So many good names out there such as Maidana, Alexander, Broner, Thurman, Garcia, Porter, Bradley, Errol Spence, Matthysse, Guerrero, Lamont Peterson, Khan... Fighting them and beating them, regardless of the belts, would give him a far better legacy than just holding onto his belt for 10 years fighting mandatory challengers.

Thurman will seek every big fight out there. That's why he IMO is number one.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

WOW. Golovkin Vs Brook.

First fight that's pricked my ears in a long time.

how do you feel about that @Bris Vegas

Huge news, been speaking to my Boxing trainer about this. I really don't understand it. I mean, it's great for the fans, but it seems like a clear indication of Brook refusing to fight in the States.

It's like he would rather risk fighting Golovkin in London, than travel to the US to fight the likes of Thurman, Bradley, Garcia. I think they place far too much value on their IBF title.

IMO, legacies are better than titles. Fighting and beating the best in your division will earn you greater respect than holding on to an IBF title for say ten years fighting mandatory challengers or average fighters.

Brook's IBF title isn't in play here, so I guess that's another reason why they've gone for it. Money talks.

As for the fight. How can you not look past Golovkin? He punches like a light heavyweight, and Brook is only a welterweight. Golovkin is a decent boxer too. Surely a stoppage is on the cards?

Credit must go to Brook for taking the fight. Got some balls to do that. But I can't quite understand it from a career perspective. Wonder what happened to the Chaves fight. That made more sense.

Just wanted to add I'm not complaining. This is a great fight.

I just don't understand it from Brook's career point when there are plenty of more challengers at Welterweight. I think they're being very naive to suggest they can get the big names over to the UK.

The best welterweights want to fight in the US. Brook and his team need to accept that.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Huge news, been speaking to my Boxing trainer about this. I really don't understand it. I mean, it's great for the fans, but it seems like a clear indication of Brook refusing to fight in the States.

It's like he would rather risk fighting Golovkin in London, than travel to the US to fight the likes of Thurman, Bradley, Garcia. I think they place far too much value on their IBF title.

IMO, legacies are better than titles. Fighting and beating the best in your division will earn you greater respect than holding on to an IBF title for say ten years fighting mandatory challengers or average fighters.

Brook's IBF title isn't in play here, so I guess that's another reason why they've gone for it. Money talks.

As for the fight. How can you not look past Golovkin? He punches like a like heavyweight, and Brook is only a welterweight. Golovkin is a decent boxer too. Surely a stoppage is on the cards?

Credit must go to Brook for taking the fight. Got some balls to do that. But I can't quite understand it from a career perspective. Wonder what happened to the Chaves fight. That made more sense.

I have to hold my hands up and say I'm kind of out of touch with boxing (bit like you with footie ;) ) over the last 5 years, mainly cos a good mate of mine was boxing mental, but died  :( , but can agree with the last 2 or 3 paragraphs. I cannot see why Brook would take a fight he's so obviously going to struggle in.

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

I have to hold my hands up and say I'm kind of out of touch with boxing (bit like you with footie ;) ) over the last 5 years, mainly cos a good mate of mine was boxing mental, but died  :( , but can agree with the last 2 or 3 paragraphs. I cannot see why Brook would take a fight he's so obviously going to struggle in.

Boxing has become huge in the UK in recent years. I guess the multiple belts help, as it seems it doesn't actually take much to become a world champion these days - look at Anthony Joshua's route!

Eddie Hearn has been great for the sport, as have great media coverage such as IFL TV.

I've become pretty big on boxing since starting it a few years ago. My friend here in Mexico fought Carl Frampton for the IBF super-bantamweight title on the undercard of Carl Froch vs Bute.

I may get more involved as our club has professionals making their way in the sport. I just hope as a sport it doesn't go the same way as some other sports and price out the average supporter.

Some of the PPV prices are a joke in all honesty. I'm assuming Brook vs Golovkin will be PPV.

It has and will continue to make some people look a bit daft.

Eubank Jnr for all his barking has had a big offer for this fight. Golovkin signed at the first ask. A week later and the Eubanks still won't. 

Canelo who won't fight Golovkin yet but strangely chose to call him out on live TV. 

Khan who has constantly slated Brook for hiding

Yet it makes that bellend Billy Joe spot on when he said he doesn't care what the Eubanks say, Jnr will not fight Golovkin. Even if they set a date that the ring walk won't happen. And David Coldwell also said he'll believe it when he sees the first punch thrown. Until then...

And then Kell Brook jumps up all that way to fight him. 

If you believe Hearn then Brook has always wanted big fights but has never been treated fairly financially. Golovkin is by all accounts easy going. 

Think Golovkin will blast through Brook though. The guy has power to shift bloody heavyweights and he's always going to land. Just like Khan v Canelo Sky etc will hype up Brooks speed and talk about him getting in and out quick. But he'll stick around at some point. Either through confidence or tiredness. 

It's hard to see anyone beating Golovkin at his weight. He's built for it perfectly. 

I don't like Eubanks or Billy Joe Saunders. I would rather see Golovkin dominate. 

Golovkin will murder brook. He doesnt have ant weaknesses quick, powerful with both hands and has a chin. It annoys me the amount of stick GGG gets not his fault nobody will fight him. He'll beat brook then get stick for beating someone two weights below him.

Fair play to brook for having the balls i admire that & Brook just hasn't got the big names. He's desperate for a big fight that's why he's took this but it does nothing for his legacy 

The Eubanks wanted to charge double the ticket prices AJ charges, theyve just priced themselves out on purpose n that's from their own promoter! I think they had no intention of fighting whatsoever.

Double AJ?! He's 100 times a bigger name than junior and he wants more. The PPV model is the same for all fighters. AJ took it, Froch, Brook, all accept it, they want more, just ridiculous they didn't wanna fight so priced themselves out, it's so obvious. Little **** hasn't even won a belt demanding more than legit world champs. 

Money at this level shouldn't matter if you want to fight as long as the purse is a fair split there shouldn't be an issue.

GGG is the best fighter on the planet, he's agreed to come Eubanks back yard and they think they can dictate.  Hearn was right slagging them off.

And Golovkin was ready to go with the Eubank fight anyway. If a guy like Golovkin was prepared to come to the UK and fight for x amount and put it all on the line then you'd think that the Eubanks might meet him a third of the way. 

Eubank has said "there was never a contract put in front of me"

Well no, not when your asking for Sky Sports to pay you, Eddie Hearn to pay you, double ticket prices of an Olympic and world champion heavy, your own sponsors and commentators...

No, I'd imagine that sort of contract wasn't put in front of you. 

Had no such demands beating up Tom Doran a couple of weeks ago.

Can't blame Eubank as he's nowhere near that class (yet?), but then he's mouthed off so he's going to get stick. 

On Brook vs Golovkin, agree with what's been said but I think Brook has a slightly better chance than Khan had. Not quite none, but almost. 

Always a got it at the back of my mind that when an athlete is so dominant, like GGG, and he's from the old USSR that there's drugs in there somewhere. Hope I'm wrong. 

In all fairness if Eubank hasn't received a contract to sign or turn down then can you blame him?

Brook is making the same mistake as Khan did. Delighted he's finally fighting a big name but maybe a big name 2 weight divisions above is optimistic

21 hours ago, Simsy said:

In all fairness if Eubank hasn't received a contract to sign or turn down then can you blame him?

Brook is making the same mistake as Khan did. Delighted he's finally fighting a big name but maybe a big name 2 weight divisions above is optimistic

But he's not going to recive one when he's making stupid demands. I dont know who him and his dad think they are, GGG is a far bigger name

The Eubanks turned down Jacobs even though they were mandatory, the remach with BJS fell through because of their demands and now this with GGG. I honestly dont think he ever wanted the fight & the Eubanks create their own problems, Adam booth left them after one fight and they constantly change promoters its clear they are the problem. If they wanted this fight they could have had it signed weeks ago. The deal on the table would have probably made him more than his next three fights put together its the Eubanks that didnt want this fight because they know junior would have got absolutely battered... If BJS can school him for six rounds whats GGG going to do?  

The two guys no one wants to fight just decide to face off against each other, makes sense in a way. I'm a Brook fan, followed him ever since that undercard appearance in the USA way back, seen him in Sheffield also. I will concede that the odds are against Kell here but they are for anyone that steps in with GGG. Kell has a habit of stepping up when needed and has shown he only gets better under pressure. I'm interested to see how he fills out and the extra power he brings at 160 when he isn't drained.

Looking at the pics from NY the size difference isn't big and I think Kell will surprise people even if he doesn't get the win. GGG is there to be hit but so far no one has had the power to worry him. Kell might have to fight a new type of fight, his usual style isn't the best way to go against GGG. Apprehensively looking forward to this fight.

On 7/10/2016 at 09:04, G-Ram said:

But he's not going to recive one when he's making stupid demands. I dont know who him and his dad think they are, GGG is a far bigger name

The Eubanks turned down Jacobs even though they were mandatory, the remach with BJS fell through because of their demands and now this with GGG. I honestly dont think he ever wanted the fight & the Eubanks create their own problems, Adam booth left them after one fight and they constantly change promoters its clear they are the problem. If they wanted this fight they could have had it signed weeks ago. The deal on the table would have probably made him more than his next three fights put together its the Eubanks that didnt want this fight because they know junior would have got absolutely battered... If BJS can school him for six rounds whats GGG going to do?  

I have to agree with this. The Eubank's are in danger of making themselves impossible to work with and its Eubank Jr that will suffer. The best thing he could do is completely remove his mental father from the equation and get his head down with a decent trainer.