Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

How can Fury think he won that.  He was well beaten.  No chance.

How can one of the judges think Fury won that? Even the third judge thinks only the knock down seperated them - it's just amazing. Fury was good, he fought well, but I just can't even think of the story you need to put together to suggest he won, or cam close to winning, that fight.

BTW - October will be the same again, Usyk has his card.

Fury staying upright when he was spark out on his feet was unreal instinct. The round before I thought Fury had got the measure of Usyk. Decision was right, but I reckon Fury learns from it, gets on the front foot and wins the rematch.

15 minutes ago, MaltRam said:

Fury staying upright when he was spark out on his feet was unreal instinct. The round before I thought Fury had got the measure of Usyk. Decision was right, but I reckon Fury learns from it, gets on the front foot and wins the rematch.

He's got to stay off the burgers first.

I recon he might lose it again, I hope not for his sake.

Posted (edited)

Usyk just started to plant his feet and look a touch frustrated in those early middle rounds and almost paid for it. Other than that he looked quite comfortable. Fury had his chance when Usyk was flustered and really didn't up the pressure. But again, praise Usyk for that because he draws so much energy from you with that constant change of height, range and rotation. 

I understand Fury thinking he won. He probably felt he was comfortable for the first 4 rounds, dominated the next couple, was well in the 12th. He might think it was Usyk that had the little 3 or 4 round flourish. 

That's the problem of nothing rounds. They can slip away and unfortunately for Fury he lost those quieter rounds by not being busy. 

What you can't understand is how an independent judge could score the nothing rounds to Fury. Usyk edged them. He just did. 

I don't know why Sugar Hill and Andy Lee are in the corner. Not when you have a coach like Big John with all his experience shouting orders. You need to get rid of these wannabe clowns with their proven track record. 

The rematch will still be interesting. There's enough vulnerability around Usyk for Fury to think he can hurt him. Usyk though, he knows that southpaw long left is a shot Fury struggled to see. It was on all night long and Fury has a massive task to negate it while finding a second chance to rattle Usyk.

Edited by Alph

If you don’t stop Usyk in the first 6 rounds or built up a big enough lead like 6-0 or 5-1, you are going to pay the price because he steps on the gas while his opponents fade. Usyk’s punch output takes its toll.

Fury was lucky the ref didn’t stop the fight in the 9th. Remember when the ref stopped the fight on Groves vs Froch, his state wasn’t anywhere near as bad as Fury’s. 

Fury really didn't do what I thought he would. 

Stood off.

Backed away.

Conceded the ring.

Very little clinching or leaning on Usyk.

Seemed to be scared of Usyk's power and was trying to not getting caught too much.

Usyk wins simply for constantly prowling and backing him up.

Got on top for 3 rounds but then really took his foot off the gas and didn't deserve to win.

Only the standing count won Usky the fight which is verging on a disgrace imo.

43 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Fury really didn't do what I thought he would. 

Stood off.

Backed away.

Conceded the ring.

Very little clinching or leaning on Usyk.

Seemed to be scared of Usyk's power and was trying to not getting caught too much.

Usyk wins simply for constantly prowling and backing him up.

Got on top for 3 rounds but then really took his foot off the gas and didn't deserve to win.

Only the standing count won Usky the fight which is verging on a disgrace imo.

It's not a standing 8. When you are being supported it counts as a knockdown. If there had been another 30 seconds in that round he wouldn't have survived. The ref must have been close to stopping it.

I think Fury's arrogance cost him any chance of winning that. Stepped off the gas in the 7th because he thought he was way ahead. Then late one caught him with a great shot and didn't throw another punch for 20 seconds. Showboating instead.

He should retire but will no doubt come back for another payday

Deserved win from usyk , he really is up there in the all time heavyweight greats , certainly in the great boxers list as to go through the cruiser weight division and then do what he’s done against much bigger fighters is special, what a talent and what a role model with his class behaviour,

fury let himself down with the country at war comment , I really thought he would be more sporting in defeat , the thing with fury is that you can get to like him a bit at times as he can talk with sense and decency but then he goes and spoils it by being a knob 

That was a great fight. One that actually deserves a rematch. Usyk the right winner but it was very close. A lot of people have been swayed by the 10-8 round, when Fury to be fair was lucky it wasnt stopped, the rest of the fight was extremely close. I can see why some thought Fury won but Usyk was the winner for me.

What a fight! Thought fury should have got usyk out of there when he had the chance! When i saw furys ring walk i was worried about how he would perform, he looked p#ssd, dont like it when he messes around and showboats, i know some boxers do it to gain confidence and control there nerves but never like seeing it! Prefer the spartan march to the ring kind of fury i thought wed see not the "this is going to be easy" fury!

Did not see usyk turning it round like he did, what a boxer! I had him up by the end of the fight! Ref should have stopped it in the 9th imo, not sure what the ref was doing!

All in all great fight, great undercard, shocking atmosphere, hate the whole saudi thing! 

Massive credit to usyk but i think fury blew it, he should have and could have got him out by the 8th if he hadnt been so cocky and played with him rather than go in for the finish, think he buzzed him later on too but just stood off him! Rematch is a tricky one, usyks quality and i wonder if with 12 rounds of knowledge behind him he has furys number now! Fury might havd missed his chance!

2 hours ago, sage said:

He should retire but will no doubt come back for another payday

Watching his post fight interview "I don't need the money, I just love boxing" he needn't fight again he must be worth millions, He looked a beaten man in the interview, Talk is cheap...give it up fella, Life is precious, Usyk is one hell of a tough nut to crack and if there's a next bout I can only see one winner and it aint Fury.

Ali went onto fight as he needed the money to pay his bills ect ect, It was sad to see him in his later life, Getting smashed in the head is not worth all the pain that could affect the rest of your life.

Go and have a long holiday Tyson and thank's for the memory, Wilder was your best fight...imo...call it a day. 

Should Fury retire? 

I think he has a lot to prove. There's plenty of positives to take from this fight. On top form he'll be favourite v Joshua and that's another two fight deal. 

Usyk should retire if anything. What's left for him? Depending on the clause of not honouring a rematch I don't think he should be particularly interested in that. He definitely won. He's won everything there is. 

Olympic gold, amateur world champion, European Champion, undisputed cruiserweight champion, undisputed heavyweight champion... 

... Along the way beating Beterbiev, Majidov (hugely successful Olympian), Joyce, Briedis, Huck, Glowacki, Gassiev, Joshua, Fury... 

He's beat the game, he's healthy and wealthy. I hope he does the rematch but if there's even a tiny thought in his head that he's satisfied then step out. 

22 professional fights! 🤣. It took 22 to be a two weight undisputed. 

I think usyk edged the fight. Fury seemed comfortable until the 7th and then didn't seem to have the recovery powers he once did.   All be it impressively staying up in the 9th

I think fury is a shadow of himself which is sad to see because the best fury beats usyk easily IMO

This one probably can't, he's had too many wars. 

1 minute ago, The_Sheriff said:

I think usyk edged the fight. Fury seemed comfortable until the 7th and then didn't seem to have the recovery powers he once did.   All be it impressively staying up in the 9th

I think fury is a shadow of himself which is sad to see because the best fury beats usyk easily IMO

This one probably can't, he's had too many wars. 

Thought he was comfortable and ahead until the 9th.

Thank god Usyk won that. How any professional judge can give 7 rounds to Fury in that fight is beyond me.

Fury got lucky in the 9th, supported by the ropes, a long count and saved by the bell. If that was the other way around, I think the ref stops the fight.

Big John didn't help Luke in his corner, telling him he's winning was just pure delusion.

12 hours ago, Alph said:

I don't know why Sugar Hill and Andy Lee are in the corner. Not when you have a coach like Big John with all his experience shouting orders. You need to get rid of these wannabe clowns with their proven track record. 

It was utterly embrarrassing wasn' it? If I was either of those two I would only take the rematch on the explicit condition that Pops stays away from the corner. You just can't do your work when he's bellowing in his lad's ear that he's got this in the bag.