Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

17 minutes ago, Alph said:

Ben Whittaker, I don't think the way he fights and who he's fighting is investment for future opponents. 

Can't really explain what it is that don't sit right. It's not that the showing off is disrespectful. It's that it flatters his performance. I think he's done nothing more than you'd expect from an Olympic champion (silver?). Perhaps unfair but I'd be wanting to see him really finishing the job when he's ready rather than toying with his food.

Maybe unfair. Just remember Josh Kelly looked like a world beater with that kind of Olympic style of point scoring. Then you meet guys who will come through you and you have to be able to punish them.

Whittaker seems to be similar. Fur coat, no knickers type thing. 

Harsh for 7 from 7? It should be 7 quick KOs imo and if it's gone the distance then it should be to a durable come forward opponent and it's against those you'd want to see him working harder instead of running off dancing? 

For all his skills he isn’t a big puncher and will find it a lot tougher when he moves up in class. Reminds me a bit of Errol Christie who looked great until he started to fight opponents who hit him back. Errol wasn’t a asshole like Whittaker though 

42 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Fail Oh No GIF by The Great British Bake Off

Well it resembled two drunks at kicking out time for periods... but damn they went for it.

They also looked like a Rocky film, swinging, swaying and looking out for the count before rallying again.

Wardley especially had pretty poor technique. But sooo much heart.

Think you're right,  neither looked they could mix at the very top level. But hats off to them for standing and fighting, emptying the tank and then going again.

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Well it resembled two drunks at kicking out time for periods... but damn they went for it.

They also looked like a Rocky film, swinging, swaying and looking out for the count before rallying again.

Wardley especially had pretty poor technique. But sooo much heart.

Think you're right,  neither looked they could mix at the very top level. But hats off to them for standing and fighting, emptying the tank and then going again.

2 big lads that slugged it out, Clarkes jabs did a lot of damage, Wardley's nose in pieces and a closed right eye, Both by round 10 were blowing and really couldn't deliver on target the killer punch, I thought Clarke "just" did enough but being docked a point for a low blow cost him.

12 rounds of cracking boxing with both fighters not giving an inch, If you didn't see the fight and just saw the result before the announcement you'd have thought Clarke had won with the mess he made of Wardley, But then Clarke collapsing to the canvas showed he gave everything.

2 very honest fighters that put on a good show 👏

On 03/04/2024 at 09:43, Alph said:

If you have 5 mins spare, check out Parker calling out Dillian Whyte. Promise you won't regret it. 

Best call out ever, by a million miles.

The coffee cup 🤣

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Alph said:

Beterbiev Vs Bivol is made then. 1st June. 

I hate Saudi events but they make it happen. 

Actually can't wait for this fight. The Saudi events are sterile AF in terms of atmosphere, but yeah, they definitely get the top fighters together. Not only that, they've even got Hearn and Warren rimming each other senseless too, so there's clearly absurd money sloshing about the trough now and neither of the Russians are fancy Dans anyway, so they won't care about any lack of Vegas style pizazz. Shame though as who can possibly ever forget Wilder rocking the cross-dressing Black Panther look? 

14 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Actually can't wait for this fight. The Saudi events are sterile AF in terms of atmosphere, but yeah, they definitely get the top fighters together. Not only that, they've even got Hearn and Warren rimming each other senseless too, so there's clearly absurd money sloshing about the trough now and neither of the Russians are fancy Dans anyway, so they won't care about any lack of Vegas style pizazz. Shame though as who can possibly ever forget Wilder rocking the cross-dressing Black Panther look? 

It's got potential to be an all time great fight hasn't it. I'm not sure it will capture the general public. I hope so. 

Have you seen Frank holding hands with his excellency? Old Brick Top. Turki's prison pocket! What money does, eh? 

Wilder is team matchroom for this Queensbury v Matchroom. Up against Zhang. Good fight that but probably more to lose than gain. 

Hrgovic v Dubois. 

And Nick Ball is back fresh from being robbed. What a surprise, it's not in a rematch. Rey Vargas doesn't want that again after all 

7 hours ago, Alph said:

It's got potential to be an all time great fight hasn't it. I'm not sure it will capture the general public. I hope so. 

Have you seen Frank holding hands with his excellency? Old Brick Top. Turki's prison pocket! What money does, eh? 

Wilder is team matchroom for this Queensbury v Matchroom. Up against Zhang. Good fight that but probably more to lose than gain. 

Hrgovic v Dubois. 

And Nick Ball is back fresh from being robbed. What a surprise, it's not in a rematch. Rey Vargas doesn't want that again after all 

Have to say the Queensbury vs Matchroom malarkey doesn't really fire my imagination. Hard lines for Nick Ball. What a fookin terrible call that was against Vargas. Really felt for Ball who well and truly worked him over IMO.

2 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Have to say the Queensbury vs Matchroom malarkey doesn't really fire my imagination. Hard lines for Nick Ball. What a fookin terrible call that was against Vargas. Really felt for Ball who well and truly worked him over IMO.

Yeah, I think the Warren v Hearn thing is for the loud minority who argue like they're football teams and you have to be loyal to one promoter. Very weird.

4 minutes ago, Alph said:

Yeah, I think the Warren v Hearn thing is for the loud minority who argue like they're football teams and you have to be loyal to one promoter. Very weird.

Can't stand either of them really, Hearne less than Warren, I suppose, but it's like choosing between a finger in the eye and a peculiarly effective nut-flick, you'd rather neither given the chance.

12 hours ago, Alph said:

Yeah cringy af! I know hes a red dog but i seen froch ripping him to pieces, funny af! Asking frank why hes holding his hand, asking if hes his daddy? Lol!!

I’ve lost a lot of interest in boxing since the decline of the welterweight division. The heavyweight scene peaked interest for a while but since Saudi came about the prized fighters are just holding everything up. 

Boxing was better when Eddie was just UK based and we had decent UK shows.

His expansion into the US and move away from Sky affected UK boxing in a bad way and then the Saudi money has made it worse, despite the Matchroom/Queensbury love-in. 

17 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I’ve lost a lot of interest in boxing since the decline of the welterweight division. The heavyweight scene peaked interest for a while but since Saudi came about the prized fighters are just holding everything up. 

His expansion into the US and move away from Sky affected UK boxing in a bad way and then the Saudi money has made it worse, despite the Matchroom/Queensbury love-in. 

Yeah i agree! Loved that welterweight era of floyd, pacquia, hatton, cotto, mosley, marquez, de la hoya, canelo when he was down there, probs some names i forgot! I prefer the lighter weights, fast, technical, i myself am that kinda weight!

Theres a few knocking about just under welter, tank, keyshawn davis looks like he will be quality, garcia, haney, lopez, taylor! Theres the rematch with bud and spence!

I agree, i cant stand hearn and frank anymore! I cringe now whenever i hear them! I know boxings always been a business but ffs! Hearn revived british boxing with froch n aj but now hes just followed the money to saudi! 

As for heavyweights, ive never been a big fan personally, plodding and thudding lol! I like watching fury as he moves and boxes like a lighter fighter! 

Theres the amateurs to look forward to in paris this summer too!

17 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The Welterweight division was THE place to be wasn't it? Had that period where it was just stacked. The top ten on BoxRec, you could throw any of them together for a blockbuster. Never really thought about it, but yeah... It's a shame that's dropped off a bit. 

I enjoy the HW since the Klitschko domination is over. It's good that the Saudis are making it happen in their dead events but I think all the politics killed the excitement a touch. 

The nonsense between Wilder/Fury Vs Whyte/AJ was literally years of talk. Just tick over fights because the big one is around the corner. If it wasn't for the Saudis they'd still be talking bs. 

Wilder called out Fury after the Klitschko fight. That was 2014(?). 10 years later he's fought Fury, Ortiz and Parker that are actual big fights for him. 

Since beating Klitschko,in 10 years Fury has fought Wilder and about to fight Usyk. 

The amount of bs between Hearn, Warren, Arum etc... boooooring

Garcia v Haney was such a weird fight.

It looked like Garcia couldn’t be bothered in there, yet every now and again he’d throw a left hook and Haney’s chin was sticking right out there.

Haney looked the more skilled fighter and often took center ring, but also so sloppy as he was dropped 3 times by effectively the same combo. 

Garcia’s post-match interview was just rants thrown together. Summed up the fight.

I’m not sure if this makes Tank look a clear level above, or it looks bad for Haney.