Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

7 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

But Usyk can fight southpaw, will be the faster puncher to score and has beaten fighters of (nearly) Fury's size. Anyone who tells you they know how this is going to end is lying, to you and to themselves.

He has his chance for sure and I'll be rooting for him FTLTW. To underscore your point about the outcome though, it's pretty much even money the pair right across the board, so the layers certainly share your view that it's far from a foregone conclusion. The southpaw angle is an interesting one too.

Posted (edited)

I think Fury, like normal, will try all his dirty tricks to get one up on Usyk and again, like normal, the referee will probably allow it. 

I'm hoping Usyk has prepared for all the leaning and rabbit punches Fury is going to do and beats him.

What I think will happen: dodgy Fury majority decision. 

Edited by Jubbs

If Fury can make Usyk fight a fight he doesn’t usually fight, then he will probably win on points.

But if Usyk fights how he did against AJ, or pretty much anybody else, he will win. Usyk’s volume is just so much higher than Fury, he averages like 3x as many punches in a round - against bigger guys than himself.

Fury beat Klitschko by basically making him fight in a way we’d not seen in years. He never threw a right hand. And back then Fury was a far busier fighter. In his recent fights he has slowed down a lot.

If he can slow the pace against Usyk, he stands a chance. But on volume alone, I see Usyk just rattling off rounds. 

34 minutes ago, Alph said:

Good undercard too! 

Which ones would you recommend? I don't have the knowledge you have but only the Opetaia / Breidis fight really jumped off the page for me.

11 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Which ones would you recommend? I don't have the knowledge you have but only the Opetaia / Breidis fight really jumped off the page for me.

That's the one that jumped out to me first too! You expect Opetaia to be too much but as an undercard fight that's bloody decent! I don't think Briedis has fought since the last fight? 

You've got the up and coming 54 year old with a dodgy passport Frank Sanchez. A man following in the footsteps of Luis Ortiz as the most overrated boogeyman that nobody wants to fight (but really nobody is ducking him). He's actually got something of a test to find out if he is actually even worth mentioning as a contender. I'm thinking this might be the best fight.

Kovalev and Cordina I imagine will put on a good show. Kovalev has lost that menacing image but his opponent looks like he's brought in to either drop or be dropped. KO is surely guaranteed, you think? Cordina should be comfortable but entertaining 

The real fight is John Fury v Bellew, Froch and the entire world. There's not a man born from his mother that John wouldn't fight. He's a fighting man. I think we've seen in the last few years that he's fearless. He's called them all out. Mike Tyson, Jake Paul, Carl Frampton, Dean Whyte... There's so many that have ducked him. He's coming off the back of a defeat to Garber but having had 30 years to reflect you have to think he'll be much improved and ready to show that KO power he displayed in February 1990.

It's really difficult watching people crawl up the nearest Saudi Prince bumhole. They get worse every fight. 

Can you not just say nothing? Is it in the contract that you have to hold hands and heap praise on his excellency. 

1 hour ago, Alph said:

It's really difficult watching people crawl up the nearest Saudi Prince bumhole. They get worse every fight. 

Can you not just say nothing? Is it in the contract that you have to hold hands and heap praise on his excellency. 

I just can't get excited about this fight and I reckon its because its in Saudi. No atmosphere, everyone showing off their wealth etc. 

No doubt I'll warm to it tomorrow night but it's passing me by at the moment. 

Posted (edited)

Heavyweight boxing needs usyk to win this one , im hoping he does and that’s not that I’m fully anti fury it’s just that the circus is getting a bit boring now and more wwf , as someone already said , usyk really needs to target the body shots and get past the jab with fury also good at leaning back away from the shots , a win for usyk puts him right up there in the heavyweight greats but that’s comming from someone who has evader right up there in his all time greats perhaps top 3

Edited by Archied

I think Fury is worried about this one and might come out all guns blazing in the hope he can get a big shot through. He has tremendous reach and there’s a chance he will land when Usyk is retreating.

I hope it is a genuine fight and not an opportunity to elevate a Ukrainian at a sensitive time in world politics.

However, I really wouldn’t mind if he won! He is a warrior.

Usyk doesnt see round 9 in my opinion! Usyk is a quality boxer tho but i think furys just too big and is a clever boxer with a high ring IQ who knows how to use his attributes! Think fury will box smart first few rounds beind the jab to rack up the points then put his foot down with that kronk style and smash him up later on! Usyks late 30s and has come in heavier than usual so id imagine he will tire with his style later in the fight!

Mad that sugarhills uncle was lennoxs trainer last time the division was unified!

Like Alpha said the undercard is quality, i dont get to watch much pro boxing as dont usually like to pay unless a big fight and i find it hard to get a quality version on you tube after! Looking forward to watching moses itauma tonight!

13 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

I just can't get excited about this fight and I reckon its because its in Saudi. No atmosphere, everyone showing off their wealth etc. 

Yeah it is like a cheesy disco with all the music 🙈 cringy af them all arse licking! I love the actual boxing but hate, with a passion the politics etc! Like football really, like the game hate the money etc!

Weigh in, for once, was interesting. Usyk coming in heavy, will be tire and lose speed and agility? Fury coming in light, shows he's up for it.

Fury going bananas as well, Usyk looked like he didn't quite know how to react, a bit like the face off. Just like the Batman costume, even if it counts for little on the night, Fury is so good at the pre fight mind games.

Weirdly after all the excitement,  when the dust settles for the winner...there's not much left for Usyk to mop up,  Fury only really has Joshua who he can claim to have beaten vicariously and is a bit of a risk for not too much glory for him.

So....conspiracy theory.. I see a draw and a trilogy.

On 17/05/2024 at 19:55, CWC1983 said:

Just watching the fight I thought would be the closest. Kabayel v Sanchez. 

It's a good fight

But when you rely on the atmosphere to come through the TV from Saudi Arabia...  this might as well be a gym spar 

If there was a crowd roaring this on it would come across a lot better. It's a spicy scrap in a library