Free Agent Strikers

Srg

15 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Surely it'll be Lapido. I feel he'd be a decent option. Though @Dayas backup is also worth considering, even if we might baulk at those wage demands.

Hope the lack of a striker signing to date sees Brown given a chance ahead of Collins in the pecking order. 

Or even Ladapo! Too late for the edit button... 

Do we have room in the 25 man squad for another striker? Unless we've released a player quietly yesterday, it looks like our list squad is full. There is the option of not including someone, but that means a player just sitting around until January. Does anyone know when the squad list has to be submitted?

With the signings made yesterday I do think it's alleviated the need for a striker. Personally I think we've got enough now in terms of quality to see us ok if we are smart in how we set up, if however we are determined to be a team that has a main plan of get it wide quickly and put it into the box then we will struggle. Given what we've got I'd be focused on trying to get the most out of what we have by shifting how we set up and play vs aiming to get a missing piece from the free agent market that will make plan a work.

Think that leaves three broad options; focus on developing Brown into the number 2 striker, get somebody who could be swapped like for like with Yates in how we set up (doesn't have to be exactly the same but is capable of doing a similar role), getting somebody in who's better than Collins as a short term backup target man for the year who'd operate as plan B.

There is also option 4 of fixating on getting a particular player profile through the door to enable playing 2 up front with Yates, somebody you can reliably hurl crosses at and forcing that particular play style. This would likely be disastrous though if we didn't get extremely lucky. 

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

Do we have room in the 25 man squad for another striker? Unless we've released a player quietly yesterday, it looks like our list squad is full. There is the option of not including someone, but that means a player just sitting around until January. Does anyone know when the squad list has to be submitted?

Typically within 24 hours of the window closing. I think a player could technically play today, before being de-registered in the evening.

Squad lists are publicised by the EFL within 7 days of the window closing.

38 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Typically within 24 hours of the window closing. I think a player could technically play today, before being de-registered in the evening.

Squad lists are publicised by the EFL within 7 days of the window closing.

What do you THINK we'll do GoC?

I guess Luthra, Barkhuizen & Washington are the players furthest down the "depth chart" in their respective positions.

Who do you reckon we leave out and will it be just 1 or will we leave 2 out to leave room for a free agent forward?

3 minutes ago, Carnero said:

What do you THINK we'll do GoC?

I guess Luthra, Barkhuizen & Washington are the players furthest down the "depth chart" in their respective positions.

Who do you reckon we leave out and will it be just 1 or will we leave 2 out to leave room for a free agent forward?

If it was me I'd leave out both Luthra and Washington.

The chances of needing a 3rd GK are very small and I'd rather give that sub opportunity to Evans (when fit) or JThompson. It would also allow us to loan in a keeper of a higher standard than Luthra if an emergency did hit us.

Leaving out Washington as well would give us the opportunity to sign someone like Gray or Diédhiou to give us a different option upfront. If we fail to get someone, we could still register Washington at a later date.

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The chances of needing a 3rd GK are very small and I'd rather give that sub opportunity to Evans (when fit) or JThompson. It would also allow us to loan in a keeper of a higher standard than Luthra if an emergency did hit us.

Leaving out Washington as well would give us the opportunity to sign someone like Gray or Diédhiou to give us a different option upfront. If we fail to get someone, we could still register Washington at a later date.

I don't think we could leave out Luthra. Vickers has a dodgy injury record - I believe he's currently injured. Evans is injured and Thompson is on loan. We could only loan in another if we had no available professional keepers - the implication is going into matches with no sub keeper.

31 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Makes a lot of sense, how long is Evans out for as surely he's the top of the pecking order U21s wise at the moment due to Thompsons age?

So if we lost our only 2 keepers then we would be allowed to bring in an emergency loan... surely most teams will only register 2 keepers then!

Edited by Carnero

8 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I don't think we could leave out Luthra. Vickers has a dodgy injury record - I believe he's currently injured. Evans is injured and Thompson is on loan. We could only loan in another if we had no available professional keepers - the implication is going into matches with no sub keeper.

Thompson was only a temporary loan (basically for one game) he's back at the club now.

3 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

I’d pay up and release Washington? For whatever reason he can’t get/keep himself fit enough to play a meaningful role. The same could be said of Joe Ward but at least he’s shown some quality.

Edited by DiggerB

39 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

'Professional keeper' means a keeper who has started at least 5 games in a first team game (not non-league or EFL Trophy). Evans and JThompson don't need these criteria.

Therefore, Zetterstrom and Vickers being unavailable would allow us to sign a keeper. 

Looking at the rules again, it reads to me as if we could sign an emergency keeper even if Luthra was registered and available to play.

31 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Makes a lot of sense, how long is Evans out for as surely he's the top of the pecking order U21s wise at the moment due to Thompsons age?

So if we lost our only 2 keepers then we would be allowed to bring in an emergency loan... surely most teams will only register 2 keepers then!

Depends on whether they want to take that risk. You'd probably find someone like Warnock would do it - he regularly wouldn't name a sub GK on the bench anyway. Whilst someone more risk averse would prefer to avoid relying on loaning someone else's 3rd choice GK.

Kemar Roofe would give you 90 minutes……

…….a season if you were really fortunate. Would have his on name badge on the treatment table too

boys made of sugar paper