Championship 24/25 rival watch

We need to remember that this summer is the first time we have spent any transfer fees for 4 years, we are still a team built mainly on frees. Other teams have players on their bench who cost more than our squad cost us, for example, Szmodics comes off Blackburns bench & costs more than our whole squad fee wise when he gets sold, similar for Piroe coming off the bench for Leeds. 

Our squad & starting 11 from last night will look a hell of alot different than when we play Cardiff. Ward, Yates & CBT back plus probably another 4 or 5 players, maybe more if fringe players leave like Fornah

9 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

We need to remember that this summer is the first time we have spent any transfer fees for 4 years, we are still a team built mainly on frees. Other teams have players on their bench who cost more than our squad cost us, for example, Szmodics comes off Blackburns bench & costs more than our whole squad fee wise when he gets sold, similar for Piroe coming off the bench for Leeds. 

Our squad & starting 11 from last night will look a hell of alot different than when we play Cardiff. Ward, Yates & CBT back plus probably another 4 or 5 players, maybe more if fringe players leave like Fornah

That’s assuming we get our targets in. I’d love us to get another 4-5 in but personally I can only see Zetterstrom and maybe a loan coming in. I like Warne but I honestly think with this squad we cannot compete. 

I think Des Buckingham deserves a lot of credit for sticking with most of the team that ended last season, despite making a lot of signings. It’s clear that he trusted their understanding with each other to be the best way of them getting a result and they did so. The reverse fixture will look completely different, I suspect most of the new signings Oxford made will have put themselves in the starting team and Norwich will have a better understanding of their new manager’s system and each other. 

I thought we showed a lot of promise at times yesterday, but a completely new midfield and a new system obviously is going to take time to develop an understanding. 

6 minutes ago, Simmoram2024Ramsrontheup said:

That’s assuming we get our targets in. I’d love us to get another 4-5 in but personally I can only see Zetterstrom and maybe a loan coming in. I like Warne but I honestly think with this squad we cannot compete. 

And, other than Daj, I wonder if any other clubs are beating down the door for our ‘fringe’ players? I’ve certainly not seen any rumours that the likes of Washington, Fornah, Barkhuizen or Thompson are on another clubs radars, or close the moves out that PW suggests are needed to help fund quality incomings. Any ITK?

I have watched two full 90s plus all of the highlights from today and yesterday. I think while the defence is an obvious concern, actually the midfield and the attack look to be the biggest problems.

Some of the defending at this level is really poor, but if you have some threat up top, it can get you out of jail.

We need a natural number 9 with some presence. We also need a midfield player that can drive and carry the ball and move defences out of shape and create gaps to exploit. 

West Brom scored three goals today that were plucked straight from the Warne playbook. Getting the ball into wide attacking areas and having a number 9 to attack the ball.

Oxford also scored their opener with a goal Warne would have enjoyed, their number 9 pressing and chasing down a long ball and forcing a mistake. Even their second goal came from good play in wide areas too.

Other teams seem to be able to do what Warne wants better than we can and that points to the recruitment and tactical work being inefficient so far.

46 minutes ago, Ram Logan Josh said:

I see neither Sibley nor Ebiowei made the starting eleven for Oxford.  Both unused subs.

Bird and Knight started for Bristol City in their win at Hull . We play Oxford away in 10 games . We will have a good idea by then if we are going to be contenders or not . 

19 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Bird and Knight started for Bristol City in their win at Hull . We play Oxford away in 10 games . We will have a good idea by then if we are going to be contenders or not . 

Was it not 1-1?

For anyone who likes math, you only need 55% of the maximum points available to reach the playoffs (75 points) and 36% to stay up (50 points).

It’s a long season, so many games.

The table won’t take any sort of shape until November/December and even then teams in the top six and bottom six can trade places by March.

The only conclusion that can be made so far is Oxford played a good game, Pompey dug in and managed to get a good point against Leeds who could’ve scored 7 on another day, we played a poor game. That’s it!!! It’s one f****** game!!!! I remember when Yeovil won their first match in the championship - think they finished bottom and well adrift!! It means nothing!!!

25 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

The only conclusion that can be made so far is Oxford played a good game, Pompey dug in and managed to get a good point against Leeds who could’ve scored 7 on another day, we played a poor game. That’s it!!! It’s one f****** game!!!! I remember when Yeovil won their first match in the championship - think they finished bottom and well adrift!! It means nothing!!!

I wouldn’t even say we played that poorly either, albeit got caught on the counter a few times by a team who seemed to make exceptional decisions in the final third. 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

I wouldn’t even say we played that poorly either, albeit got caught on the counter a few times by a team who seemed to make exceptional decisions in the final third. 

For me though that's where the concern is, every forward Blackburn brought on walks in to our first team and their ruthlessness is what is required at this level. Their centre back sat three of our defenders down in the box for one of their goals. Lessons need to be learnt quick and quality added, we can still have a decent season but think this tranfer window is crucial.

7 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

For me though that's where the concern is, every forward Blackburn brought on walks in to our first team and their ruthlessness is what is required at this level. Their centre back sat three of our defenders down in the box for one of their goals. Lessons need to be learnt quick and quality added, we can still have a decent season but think this tranfer window is crucial.

Blackburn have recruited extremely well. I thought their new striker was exactly what we need ourselves - he held the ball up very well and technically was very good. Disappointing that our scouting network didn’t think to head over to Belgium. 

15 hours ago, DiggerB said:

And, other than Daj, I wonder if any other clubs are beating down the door for our ‘fringe’ players? I’ve certainly not seen any rumours that the likes of Washington, Fornah, Barkhuizen or Thompson are on another clubs radars, or close the moves out that PW suggests are needed to help fund quality incomings. Any ITK?

I believe Barkhauzen has/ had interest from Huddersfield - no idea if it involved any transfer fees or just a longer contract in a lower league but he wasn’t overly interested and wants to do well here - the attitude we need to be honest.

12 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Just seeing if you were paying attention 🫣. Knight lasted 62 mins and Bird 72 mins. Bristol city rock solid mid-table . 

Knight was captain as well - I think they have a solid decent side on paper 

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Brannigan wasn't even the best midfielder in L1. The majority of his contributions are just direct freekicks and penalties.

In my opinion he was. Did you watch Oxford v Norwich, he ran the show.