Kenzo Goudmijn

7 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

More that you're maybe judging him unfairly here. To be fair, even #9s drop deep (see common criticism of Harry Kane); it's rare midfielders don't do this unless explicitly instructed not to e.g. Vydra as #10 in 18/19 (I'd classify him as a forward but considering him a midfielder illustrates this point better)

In fairness, Kenzo's brightest moment was when he dropped deep to pick up the ball, dribbled past his man, and then played a through ball to Jackson. To me, that is far more valuable in our midfield than if he just lingered on the edge of the box but the supply wasn't there to enable him to do anything in that position?

FWIW, that moment where he did that is pretty much his game. Get it deep, find a through ball or diagonal. Makes things happen, can wriggle out of a tight spot which opens up more space. He's going to be really good, he's got all the attributes.

4 hours ago, Srg said:

FWIW, that moment where he did that is pretty much his game. Get it deep, find a through ball or diagonal. Makes things happen, can wriggle out of a tight spot which opens up more space. He's going to be really good, he's got all the attributes.

He's also one of a very few in recent years who can receive the ball with his back to goal and actually turn, rather than just laying it off in the same direction from whence it came. Thus far this season, he's been the one shining light, to my eye at least. 

9 hours ago, Srg said:

Really? Just got back from the game against a 4 th tier team and saw his passes go out of play , most of the time . However he did play one nice through ball and I think there is something there for our coaches to work with . Thomson on the other hand was superb . 

30 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Really? Just got back from the game against a 4 th tier team and saw his passes go out of play , most of the time . However he did play one nice through ball and I think there is something there for our coaches to work with . Thomson on the other hand was superb . 

Thompson was excellent tonight - he plated it up for NML at the end to finish it off, but he ended up going left and taking a tight angle (bad touch). 

I think he has to be rewarded with a start against Boro, same with Forsyth. 

8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Thompson was excellent tonight - he plated it up for NML at the end to finish it off, but he ended up going left and taking a tight angle (bad touch). 

I think he has to be rewarded with a start against Boro, same with Forsyth. 

I'd agree on Forsyth. My guess is that he goes with the experience of Osborn over Thompson.

Just now, inter politics said:

I'd agree on Forsyth. My guess is that he goes with the experience of Osborn over Thompson.

Maybe, but there has to be a pathway. He was excellent - should've had two assists to go with his goal (not his fault, he couldn't have played them in any better). Osborn will play plenty of games this season, but feel that good performances need to be rewarded with starts. 

24 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Maybe, but there has to be a pathway. He was excellent - should've had two assists to go with his goal (not his fault, he couldn't have played them in any better). Osborn will play plenty of games this season, but feel that good performances need to be rewarded with starts. 

Don't disagree but with Adams unlikely to be match fit, Ozoh has to start as a midfield three of Kenzo, Osborn and Thompson is too small.

I think Kenzo is going to look good in our team for two reasons.

One: He actually looks like a good footballer in possession of a football.

Two: We don't have many players in our team that look like good footballers in possession of a football, or they are coached in a way that doesn't typically allow them to.

Having some technical gold dust scattered amongst a team of physically imposing players isn't necessarily a bad thing before anyone jumps on this as a massive Warne rant. But in a team like that the technical players always stand out.

13 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Two: We don't have many players in our team that look like good footballers in possession of a football, or they are coached in a way that doesn't typically allow them to.

Having some technical gold dust scattered amongst a team of physically imposing players isn't necessarily a bad thing before anyone jumps on this as a massive Warne rant. But in a team like that the technical players always stand out.

I think it's too soon to tell, there were lots of misplaced passes and not much going right for him yesterday. The Championship will be a big step up, not even sure he's 'fully fit' yet?

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think it's too soon to tell, there were lots of misplaced passes and not much going right for him yesterday. The Championship will be a big step up, not even sure he's 'fully fit' yet?

True but having watched him over a few games now (albeit a couple in pre-season) he just looks comfortable with the ball at his feet in a way that almost nobody else in the team does.

Against Blackburn most of our players looked like they'd been thrown a live hand grenade when given the ball.

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

True but having watched him over a few games now (albeit a couple in pre-season) he just looks comfortable with the ball at his feet in a way that almost nobody else in the team does.

Against Blackburn most of our players looked like they'd been thrown a live hand grenade when given the ball.

I don't disagree with that. And tbh many of our own youngsters (he's 22 right?) have similar capabilities. But can he step up, too soon to say for me. #COYR

He would look great in a footballing side. 
Unfortunately, he has landed in a team with poor first touches. I’m hoping his influence rubs off, because there’s no doubt, the way to utilise our speed and directness is to pass and run more intelligently.

I like watching him play.

Dutch top level football is a lot less frantic than the English club game. IMO, he will have arrived perfectly fit for a Dutch Eredivisie game. That's not the same as having the stamina for an SBC game. That's the catch up he's having to do and that won't happen overnight. It proved too much for te Wierik, I don't think it will prove too much for Kenzo.

2 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Yes and i think were going to be defending a lot at times this season! His passing ability can release our pacey players on counter sttacks 🤞

Hes defo got the ability its whether he can adjust to the pace and physicality of the league! Plus settle okay in a new country!

11 hours ago, inter politics said:

Don't disagree but with Adams unlikely to be match fit, Ozoh has to start as a midfield three of Kenzo, Osborn and Thompson is too small.

Think Osborn is only about an inch taller than Thomson. I saw Thomson mark Billing ( a foot taller )of Bournemouth 3 seasons ago and he was not intimidated. But perhaps Osborn and Thomson in the same team could work against us defending corners . Kenzo and Brown , not much bigger . 

11 hours ago, inter politics said:

This is my worry tbh, its okay if were playing fast paced one or two touch football but I don't think that's our game, hopefully im proved wrong as we have looked good moving the ball around quickly at times! Its also about the height for defending and attacking set pieces!

I'm impressed at how physical he is. Dutch top flight football is pretty possession based passing and my concern was how would he deal with brute midfielders charging in, attempting to bully him off the ball. 

He definitely has a unique presence on the pitch. Technically, the best midfielder by a mile. He's got alot of potential in my eyes. I hope he keeps playing his way and let the other midfielders deal with the heavy work defensively.