v Blackburn (A) Match Thread

Day

Personally I thought we did ok for big parts of the game. We lost to Wigan and Blackpool last season in the first 2 games, in a lower league and at home. 

This year we’ve stepped up a league and have multiple players that haven’t played in this league or competitively together. I think we played better football and looked much better than this time last year. 

Unfortunately it came down to a few individual errors, and I’m not gonna single anyone out, we know who they are. 

A few games to settle in the league, and with a few additions to the squad, I can see us being a better watch than last season, even though the results may not be as good due to the step up in quality of the opposition. 

Most disappointing thing for me is the vitriol on here. We’re all Derby supporters so let’s try and support the whole team or at least look at things constructively and realise where we’ve been the last few years and the work being done to make us competitive but in a sustainable manner so we never see this dark days again. 

This talk of 5 at the back. As it stands right now the personnel we have, we are more suited to a 4.

At the back we're suited and wing backs are suited in terms of Wilson/Ward and Elder/Osborn.

Midfield is ok for it too.

One of the issues we won't play with a winger so NML gets put up front which absolutely does not work and he doesn't like playing there.

But if we are to sign a new midfielder, a new number 9 and a new centre back. It could be an option.

Zetterstrom 

Nelson New CB Cashin

Wilson Ozoh Adams Kenzo Osborn

Yates New ST

Can also stick the new creative midfield instead of Adams if you wanted to. 

First game of the season and already the usual doom and gloom merchants are around.

We looked ok in spells last night and in others naive pretty much what I expected.

Shipping three and four goals at Blackburn has been fairly standard over the fifty odd years I have been watching us...not out favourite ground  so was not surprised.

However we do need more recruits but it takes time to build and by the sounds of things we need to pull a couple of rabbits out the hat in the loan market in the next two weeks.

Just now, Rambalin said:

First game of the season and already the usual doom and gloom merchants are around.

We looked ok in spells last night and in others naive pretty much what I expected.

Shipping three and four goals at Blackburn has been fairly standard over the fifty odd years I have been watching us...not out favourite ground  so was not surprised.

However we do need more recruits but it takes time to build and by the sounds of things we need to pull a couple of rabbits out the hat in the loan market in the next two weeks.

I’d say watching Oxford against Norwich is making me feel a lot worse about this season than last night did. 

They look so so much more competitive against a so called stronger opposition than we had to play. 

2 hours ago, Barney1991 said:

What about Luton’s budget, plymouths budget, probably Coventry’s budget when they went up? Can’t just always blame budgets for a manager getting a team relegated 3 times in a row. 

warne is a master at league 1 football no doubt his tactics work where teams do not play fast on the deck football bar maybe 4 teams. We need to alternate our play as if we are going to rely  on set pieces all season it’s going to be a long season. Yes we had a really good 20 minute soell but I don’t remember us testing the goalkeeper from open play. 

as you say it’s the first game and my hope is not only the players learn but warne learns on the job as well. 

Luton, built on a certain style over many years under Nathan Jones, he went they went back down he came back he got them up and took them towards top 6.

Cov again built over many years, survival first couple of bottom half finishes until eventually becoming contenders helped by some big sales.

Plymouth finished 4th bottom

All bigger budgets than Rotherham. I’m sorry it does make a difference!! Who is also to say Warne wouldn’t have kept Rotherham up the season he came to us, he had them top 8 at the time.

If we’re to progress I think Cov are the best example for us to follow. And we’ll see if Warne is the man.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Not saying I disagree but what would “working” look like for you? 

If we’re bottom 3 starting to become adrift of safety and the wheels coming off with performances and defeats. It’s a tough one. GSE could’ve easily sacked Nigel when we went on that really bad run in 10/11. Stuck with him, he signed wardy and got a couple more years giving us 2 more wins at the shitty ground including the famous 10 men victory 

Don’t think Vickers was as bad as some are claiming, positioning could have been better a couple of times, but it probably didn’t matter as the defence was such a poo show. That said we do need to improve that position.

Last night shows us we need a GK, CB, winger and a number 9, all as first team starters as a bare minimum. I’d be tempted to add an LB, that said we do have the evergreen Foz for there.

The other problem was that we look well undercooked on the ball work and tactical side of things. 

Lots of work for the management team to work on before the transfer window slams shut!

One thing that was glaringly obvious was that Osborn is a left wing back he was naturally drifting on top of elder on multiple occasions. He could be very effective as a left wing back as he’s competent on the ball and has great positional awareness. Wouldn’t mind seeing him there as he’s a better defender than elder and more mobile than Fozzy.

Just now, Ramarena said:

Don’t think Vickers was as bad as some are claiming, positioning could have been better a couple of times, but it probably didn’t matter as the defence was such a poo show. That said we do need to improve that position.

Last night shows us we need a GK, CB, winger and a number 9, all as first team starters as a bare minimum. I’d be tempted to add an LB, that said we do have the evergreen Foz for there.

The other problem was that we look well undercooked on the ball work and tactical side of things. 

Lots of work for the management team to work on before the transfer window slams shut!

I feel bad for Vickers but positionally he was awful and he is very slow to release the ball which kills us when our attackers are programmed to counter attack. 

7 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

One thing that was glaringly obvious was that Osborn is a left wing back he was naturally drifting on top of elder on multiple occasions. He could be very effective as a left wing back as he’s competent on the ball and has great positional awareness. Wouldn’t mind seeing him there as he’s a better defender than elder and more mobile than Fozzy.

Our left hand side needs sorting asap. Elder and Cashin were terrible , even when Collins came on to help them out . I was impressed by Osborn . Build the left to suit him . 

9 minutes ago, DE56Ram said:

We’re out of the bottom three on goals scored! 😁🐏👍

9 minutes ago, DE56Ram said:

We’re out of the bottom three on goals scored! 😁🐏👍

I’ll take that, can the season finish now please 😬😉😂

6 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Our left hand side needs sorting asap. Elder and Cashin were terrible , even when Collins came on to help them out . I was impressed by Osborn . Build the left to suit him . 

Find that a bit harsh, where the hell was Wilson for 2 of their goals? We only got turned over in our own half. I think people witchhunt players and they become scapegoats among a lot of fans. For me Wilson and Cashin are main reason the game turned against us last night and I like both players.

4 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

As another poster said, great that the match passed off without any incident in the crowd, inside or outside the ground. Relaxed policing, relaxed fans in the pubs, friendly. 

I deleted twitter/X a week ago. Got to say, well well worth it!!

Absolutely, highly recommended!

19 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

I feel bad for Vickers but positionally he was awful and he is very slow to release the ball which kills us when our attackers are programmed to counter attack. 

As I said, it’s definitely a position we need to improve.

21 minutes ago, McArthur Park said:

With this in mind then, why did you spend the majority of last season wanting him to be sacked? 

Because I don’t like him as a person, and I don’t like his views on football. It’s all about fitness and pace, rather than technical ability and control. That’s why he fails at Championship level - working hard only gets you so far.

FWIW, he did a good job getting us up last season. But I maintain if we sacked him back in November and appointed Eustace, we’d have won the league and be in a much better position this season. Just my view mind.

Edited by Millenniumram

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Because I don’t like him as a person, and I don’t like his views on football. It’s all about fitness and pace, rather than technical ability and control. That’s why he fails at Championship level - working hard only gets you so far.

What is it about him as a person that you don't like? How well do you know him to arrive at such an opinion?