Paris Olympics

1of4

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Am I the only one not particularly looking forward to the LA olympics?

I suspect the over the top razzmatazz will be insufferable, many events will be on at silly o’clock UK time, the USA will win even more medals than usual and we’ll have to endure chants of “USA, USA” on a regular basis.

Sorry. Monday morning grumps.

I have similar feelings of trepidation. Just from an egotistical pov, can you imagine it if Trump is president?

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Shotts, north Lanarkshire (where Bon Accord are the team) has to be the worst town in Scotland it's been my misfortune to have to visit for work. Absolutely feral.

image.png.04fa4ec5b8381b9154cef2ef892fa23b.png  😁

I have an old friend that lives in Greenock Morton...it would appear they have twinned 😉

Edited by Ram-Alf

20 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Ar the risk of being crucified, has anyone ever known a sport as 'pointless' as basketball?

Utter tripe.

I have watched a few local  Basketball games mostly in Nottingham I thought they were very entertaining far better than watching on TV. Including women’s and wheelchair basketball.

I don’t think you can appreciate any sport TBH until you have watched it live.

On 10/08/2024 at 10:34, maxjam said:

Haha yeah I posted that last night looks like its been scrubbed, the IOC are removing its existence from t'internet to avoid further embarrassment 😛 

I actually saw a clip of the winner today, maybe I'm getting old but it still looks stupid.  Whoever thought breakdancing is an Olympic sport should see a doctor or a therapist or something.  I keep expecting someone to run on the stage and try to perform the Heimlich manoeuvre on the contestants!

The Australian had a PHD in cultural movement. 😂

Probably the best advert for highlighting worthless degrees.

She got zero points. What surprise !

10 minutes ago, cstand said:

The Australian had a PHD in cultural movement. 😂

Probably the best advert for highlighting worthless degrees.

She got zero points. What surprise !

Yes I read that 😛

I also saw that the criticism of her has been called out as 'sexism' now.  Nothing to do with the fact she lost 18-0 in each of her 3 heats and when compared to others, her dance was even more cringeworthy than just watching it in isolation.  

Unfortunately the Olympics don't hand out participation medals!

3 hours ago, cstand said:

I have watched a few local  Basketball games mostly in Nottingham I thought they were very entertaining far better than watching on TV. Including women’s and wheelchair basketball.

I don’t think you can appreciate any sport TBH until you have watched it live.

Yeah, I always thought basketball wasa bit dull. Then went to a live game and it was great. Same with ice hockey.

I should go and watch a rugby game sometime, although it's occasionally enjoyable on tv.

At least Basketball is an actual real sport. 

Personally I'd love to see the Olympics expanded to 3/4 weeks and more real sports be included - Cricket, Rugby League, full 15 man Rugby Union, Baseball, Bowls (How is Bowls NOT in given that it's essentially the summer equivalent of Curling FFS?), Darts, Snooker, Squash, Polo (Water Polo is in but real Polo isn't?!)....they should all be in IMO. And if we're having 3-man Basketball, why not 5-a-side football?

23 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

For one Olympics only the EU countries should combine and compete under the EU flag. Would love to see the US media contrive some way for the US to still top the medal table somehow. Worth doing if only to p*** them off in their home Olympics..... 😄

That would be good. For comedy value have Nigel F carrying  the flag

The IOC have announced that T20 cricket will be in the 2028 Olympics, last played and won by GB against France(?) in 1900.

Also in are Squash; Baseball / Softball, Lacrosse and 'Flag' Football (American Football without the tackling).

Break-Dancing has been dropped.

On 12/08/2024 at 21:21, ariotofmyown said:

I always thought basketball was a bit dull.

I really upset an American friend (and rabid Lakers fan) when I said you don't win Basket ball you lose it!

Very tall men go up the court put a ball in the net. Other very tall men go up to the other end and put the ball in the net. Repeat endlessly. Eventually somebody misses and the other team wins.

For real tedium watch Baseball! It makes test Cricket feel heart pounding.

3 hours ago, FindernRam said:

I really upset an American friend (and rabid Lakers fan) when I said you don't win Basket ball you lose it!

Very tall men go up the court put a ball in the net. Other very tall men go up to the other end and put the ball in the net. Repeat endlessly. Eventually somebody misses and the other team wins.

For real tedium watch Baseball! It makes test Cricket feel heart pounding.

It’s like if football was just a 90 min long penalty shoot out.