Mathew Ryan

Bubbles

I would put him I the top 3 of GKs we could sign this summer and up there with Rodak. I felt we'd be priced out of both, but maybe not.

An excellent shot stopped and no real weaknesses if my memory is correct. A reliable passer (both short and long), which will also be important in a Warne side.

3 hours ago, valakari said:

Downside for me is that he is 6ft, whereas Rodak for example is approx 6ft 4..so i think i would prefer him

3 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Like above, I'd be slightly wary of his height, although he has been in the top 17% for crosses stopped for the past year and is very active coming off his line.

image.png.8da6258879f4d6e08b394ce0556e6768.png

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, valakari said:

However, he is a free agent, so will be looking to play.

Downside for me is that he is 6ft, whereas Rodak for example is approx 6ft 4..so i think i would prefer him

Les Green and Colin Boulton were both under 6ft and I had no complaints against either of them height wise

2 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Les Green and Colin Boulton were both under 6ft and I had no complaints against either of them height wise

I walked past Eric Steele on the last day of the season. And I’ll preface this with the fact I’m 6’5” and find it hard to gauge the height of people under six foot. But he seemed bloody tiny.

8 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I walked past Eric Steele on the last day of the season. And I’ll preface this with the fact I’m 6’5” and find it hard to gauge the height of people under six foot. But he seemed bloody tiny.

6 ft

Would prefer Iversen or Rodak as they’re both younger and better shot stoppers IMO.

Ryan is good with his feet, but under Warne is that trait that important? 

Better than Wildsmith though so wouldn’t be upset with the signing.

Edited by TomTom92

29 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Ryan is good with his feet, but under Warne is that trait that important? 

I'd say yes it is, because there were quite a few games last season when posters were complaining about Wildsmith's kicking and a few times when he mishit a pass and caused some defensive problems as a result. Under Warne our keepers still need to adept with their feet.

I wouldn't be too concerned about a goalkeeper "only" being 6ft tall, because they faster to get down to low shots but still tall enough to outjump outfield players.

12 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I’m genuinely shocked if that’s true. My appalling estimate would have said 5’10 max but more likely 5’8-5’9.

To be fair, at his age he is probably a little shorter than he was in his prime too - age-related spine compaction etc. He's 70 by the look of it. Might have been 6ft in his playing days but less now ?