Smart Meters

Ram-Alf

I have received an email today concerning my electric meter from British Gas...below is part of it.

"The radio service that supports your meter is being switched off. So we need to replace your electricity meter to make sure it continues to work after June 2025.

Your current meter switches rates using a radio signal, helping your meter change between day and night rates. This is often used by people who have electric storage systems, panel heaters or immersion heaters in water tanks – as some of these typically charge up overnight"

Check if you need to replace your meter

You’ll probably know if you have a radio teleswitch (RTS) or dynamically teleswitched (DTS) meter. You might have one if:

you live in the East Midlands or Scotland

your house is heated using electricity

you have electric storage and water heaters

you get cheaper energy at different times of day, for example if you have a peak and off-peak rate for electricity

As I live in Derby the above affects myself, Is this a sly way of making those that don't want a Smart Meter to be forced to have one?

16 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

I have received an email today concerning my electric meter from British Gas...below is part of it.

"The radio service that supports your meter is being switched off. So we need to replace your electricity meter to make sure it continues to work after June 2025.

Your current meter switches rates using a radio signal, helping your meter change between day and night rates. This is often used by people who have electric storage systems, panel heaters or immersion heaters in water tanks – as some of these typically charge up overnight"

You’ll probably know if you have a radio teleswitch (RTS) or dynamically teleswitched (DTS) meter. You might have one if:

you get cheaper energy at different times of day, for example if you have a peak and off-peak rate for electricity

As I live in Derby the above affects myself, Is this a sly way of making those that don't want a Smart Meter to be forced to have one?

I have had a similar email today. I have tried to get a smart previously, 9 months waiting list, week before my appointment and they cancelled it, didn't bother trying to rearrange. 

No idea if it is a sly way getting people on a smart meter or not though.

3 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

What's the current reasoning behind not having a smart meter? 

For me, it's because my meters are in the cellar which I had professionally tanked and converted over 10 years ago and the meters are now housed in recessed cupboards behind the waterproofed, insulated walls. 

I may be making a false assumption, but I guess that converting to smart meters means that they would need to start ripping stuff out? And quite frankly I'd rather they didn't!

38 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

What's the current reasoning behind not having a smart meter? 

I guess some scare stories, False readings ie higher than usual bills, Smart meters that fail after 12 months householders have been asked to pay for new ones...reported stories in the media.

I'm booked in for July 2nd so this hold out is stepping in to the future 😉

29 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

I guess some scare stories, False readings ie higher than usual bills, Smart meters that fail after 12 months householders have been asked to pay for new ones...reported stories in the media.

I'm booked in for July 2nd so this hold out is stepping in to the future 😉

Never had a problem with mine @Ram-Alf in fact great to pointing out to the GF that we can’t afford to turn the electric heating on and get your jumper , coat and scrave on instead 😅

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

For me, it's because my meters are in the cellar which I had professionally tanked and converted over 10 years ago and the meters are now housed in recessed cupboards behind the waterproofed, insulated walls. 

I may be making a false assumption, but I guess that converting to smart meters means that they would need to start ripping stuff out? And quite frankly I'd rather they didn't!

I guess they might have trouble getting a 4G signal down there?

I was in a queue for 2 years with British Gas for a smart meter after the bloke came round and looked at it and "Nah I can't do it". Switched to Octopus who came and did it the following week and been enjoying cheap electricity ever since, even dipping into -9p a unit on some weekends.

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Don't think they do.

Our old meter in the hall was boxed in and when they came to fit the smart meter it's tiny - 16x13x6.5 cm

I didn't want one for various reasons for ages, but am considering getting an EV and am getting an ASHP. So to take advantage of better tariffs for those things you have to have a smart meter. It's fine and was no problem to fit on the board in the boxing where the old one was. 👍

6 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

I'm always being offered a free smart meter by my supplier.

There's a lot of horror stories out there of them not working properly and people being over charged because its supposed to be infallible, like the post office system was!

Also there is a big debate on how much radiation they emit amongst people who don't believe that big corporations might not have your best interests at heart.

I might buy a geiger counter and sneak around my friends houses to check radiation readings before getting one.

We've had a smart meter for about 4 years and no problems - PFP Energy & then British gas, when they went bust. At least now I don't have to try & remember to do meter readings.

The screen thing that comes with it has never left the box and is in one of the kitchen junk drawers. I don't need to see how much electric & gas I'm using in real time. I'm quite likely to obsess about it and piss off the household (more).

21 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

We've had a smart meter for about 4 years and no problems - PFP Energy & then British gas, when they went bust. At least now I don't have to try & remember to do meter readings.

The screen thing that comes with it has never left the box and is in one of the kitchen junk drawers. I don't need to see how much electric & gas I'm using in real time. I'm quite likely to obsess about it and piss off the household (more).

Similar for me, although the screen is on in my "office" (computer game room). Only use is when the little light goes orange which tells me the kettle is on for a cuppa.