Transfer rumours

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

We’ve waited for two months and Ben Osborn and Jerry Yates are looking set to be our first signings?

I hate to say it, but it’s not very exciting, is it?

Did you think Nelson was an exciting signing? Or NML even? Not having a go just saying was v underwhelmed with the Rock Nelson at the time

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

We’ve waited for two months and Ben Osborn and Jerry Yates are looking set to be our first signings?

I hate to say it, but it’s not very exciting, is it?

Are we not still technically under the EFL umbongo until the end of the month? If that is the case, then that would perhaps have an impact upon salaries and length of contracts we could offer. Perhaps that's the reason that there has been no 'real, verifiable' news.

If the above is b*******, just ignore me. I'm old.

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

Did you think Nelson was an exciting signing? Or NML even? Not having a go just saying was v underwhelmed with the Rock Nelson at the time

You’re absolutely right. Not every signing has to be exciting or impressive to end up being a successful one.

Did I think NML would go on to become our best and most important player when he first signed? Not at all. Did I think Nelson would be player-of-the-season calibre? Probably not either.

I guess with us releasing a number of players with Championship experience who could arguably already fit the bill (think Smith for the role of utility player and Gayle for the role of striker) and us not having announced any signings until the end of June or beginning of July, there was a hope something special was in the works.

I guess also with all the talk of us scouting overseas, of us putting together a sporting intelligence unit to give ourselves an edge, of now being the time Mark Thomas and the recruitment team’s work really comes to the fore, and again you wouldn’t be forgiven for thinking maybe we have a few interesting irons in the fire.

Don’t get me wrong, I can see how both signings could work out - every club needs a player or two to come in, slot in, get down to work and be solid and effective. I guess I was just hoping we would see something a bit more imaginative given all the goings on behind the scenes.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Are we not still technically under the EFL umbongo until the end of the month? If that is the case, then that would perhaps have an impact upon salaries and length of contracts we could offer. Perhaps that's the reason that there has been no 'real, verifiable' news.

If the above is b*******, just ignore me. I'm old.

Fair points, @Eddie.

Finances could still be a significant factor and could be the difference between what we want and what we can actually get over the line at this time.

Personally I liked the idea of us looking abroad and I liked the idea of us being linked with young players with something to prove, and I liked the idea that improved recruitment and analytics were going to be at the heart of our business.

I don’t think Osborn and Yates are poor signings, just to be clear. I could see how they could be effective and shrewd additions. Indeed one of the first signings I advocated for was Matty James on a free. One that might not necessarily get juices flowing but he has experience and know-how and you know what you are getting.

However if you look at how the summer has progressed, most of the noises have pointed towards us shaking things up and not relying on that experienced profile of player, which is presumably why we let the likes of Smith, Hourihane and Gayle go.

I am sure the signings of Osborn and Yates will look better complemented with the signing of some exciting young players.

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

You’re absolutely right. Not every signing has to be exciting or impressive to end up being a successful one.

Did I think NML would go on to become our best and most important player when he first signed? Not at all. Did I think Nelson would be player-of-the-season calibre? Probably not either.

I guess with us releasing a number of players with Championship experience who could arguably already fit the bill (think Smith for the role of utility player and Gayle for the role of striker) and us not having announced any signings until the end of June or beginning of July, there was a hope something special was in the works.

I guess also with all the talk of us scouting overseas, of us putting together a sporting intelligence unit to give ourselves an edge, of now being the time Mark Thomas and the recruitment team’s work really comes to the fore, and again you wouldn’t be forgiven for thinking maybe we have a few interesting irons in the fire.

Don’t get me wrong, I can see how both signings could work out - every club needs a player or two to come in, slot in, get down to work and be solid and effective. I guess I was just hoping we would see something a bit more imaginative given all the goings on behind the scenes.

I suppose I can see some logic in your reasoning for being underwhelmed. But if you think Smith and Gayle are like for like on the 2 potential signings, that logic starts to crumble, IMO of course. 

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Keep the faith

10 hours ago, dcfcjj said:

Jerry Yates will be a poor signing. Genuinely god awful for Swans last year. 

Let’s give Ben and Jerry a chance . They are not the 6’4” Nordic animals we were expecting but perhaps Mo Bob has identified them with stat based precision . Players often need 10 games to settle in . COYNew Rams . 

On Jerry Yates he still scored 9 goals in 46 games last year in the championship. He obviously doesn’t suit a 4-2-3-1 possession based team like Swansea were last year. He thrived in a more direct style of play with Blackpool which is closer to what we play. I’d say he’ll be a good squad option who could get around 10+ goals.

Still no announcements from the club. Hundreds, though, from no mark clickbait sites. The most recent rumour is that Cardiff want way more than we are prepared to pay for Ebou and Ebou has said he wants to come here.

With regard to the no mark clickbait sites, there seems to be a new one popping up just about every day.

4 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

On Jerry Yates he still scored 9 goals in 46 games last year in the championship. He obviously doesn’t suit a 4-2-3-1 possession based team like Swansea were last year. He thrived in a more direct style of play with Blackpool which is closer to what we play. I’d say he’ll be a good squad option who could get around 10+ goals.

Worth noting that 46 games was on 25 games worth of minutes.

3 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Still no announcements from the club. Hundreds, though, from no mark clickbait sites. The most recent rumour is that Cardiff want way more than we are prepared to pay for Ebou and Ebou has said he wants to come here.

With regard to the no mark clickbait sites, there seems to be a new one popping up just about every day.

That was broadcast on Radio Derby yesterday so folks just copying it.