Transfer rumours

22 hours ago, Srg said:

Have to presume it was Al-Hamadi, unless he was the one he talking about who became stupid expensive.

After reading Leigh Curtis’s recent article and finding out it was a striker from another club in the championship who ended up staying to fight for his place, I do wonder if it was Rajovic from Watford. Warne apparently hinted at retrying for whoever it was in January and he also previously hinted at looking across Europe for a striker. 

1 hour ago, Eoghan1884 said:

After reading Leigh Curtis’s recent article and finding out it was a striker from another club in the championship who ended up staying to fight for his place, I do wonder if it was Rajovic from Watford. Warne apparently hinted at retrying for whoever it was in January and he also previously hinted at looking across Europe for a striker. 

He went to a club in Scandinavia on loan, so it wasn't him.

1 hour ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Smith?

On 02/09/2024 at 15:37, Srg said:

Have to presume it was Al-Hamadi, unless he was the one he talking about who became stupid expensive.

The one that became stupid expensive was hinted at by Dom D on the radio last night, said naming no names, he ended up at a club not very far away. Wondered if it was that lad Birmingham City signed - Stansfield.  I think Warne said the deal would have cost 4x his wages so that might fit the bill?

Edited by therealhantsram

5 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

The one that became stupid expensive was hinted at by Dom D on the radio last night, said naming no names, he ended up at a club not very far away. Wondered if it was that lad Birmingham City signed - Stansfield.  I think Warne said the deal would have cost 4x his wages so that might fit the bill?

Probably Cannon if Dom said that.

No way we’d ever have been in for Stansfield - don’t think he was ever going out on loan and only left permanently once the stupid offer came in.

10 minutes ago, maxjam said:

This has been alluded to elsewhere so apologies if repeating other posters but the issue for me wasn't the lack of finances or unwillingness to pay stupid fees.

The issue was that we have and still are despite the above fishing in the same pool as other clubs with far greater financial muscle then ourselves so of course we will lose out.

That's the most disappointing thing for me as basically we were destined for failure choosing this root before we even started. I would have thought it extremely naive of anyone at the club not to believe that a player of any quality would not have other potential suitors. 

Until we get extra financial backing, start producing home grown strikers or start actually looking further afield then this tale of woe is going to be extended indefinitely which is self inflicted, and for me not acceptable. 

Edited by Tyler Durden

After looking through the strikers the one I’d imagine who decided to stay and fight for their place at another championship club has to be one of Woodrow or Michael Smith in my opinion.

If it’s Cauley Woodrow we should be able to get him in January but to be honest I’d take whoever out of the 5 strikers is deemed surplus to requirements. They’ve Adebayo and Morris starting with Joe Taylor, Cauley Woodrow and Jacob Brown (who’s currently injured) as the three options behind those. Whoever of them three scrapping for a place on the bench is losing out I’d happily take as I think any of them would improve us and would allow us to offload Washington and hopefully let brown out on loan.

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

This has been alluded to elsewhere so apologies if repeating other posters but the issue for me wasn't the lack of finances or unwillingness to pay stupid fees.

The issue was that we have and still are despite the above fishing in the same pool as other clubs with far greater financial muscle then ourselves so of course we will lose out.

That's the most disappointing thing for me as basically we were destined for failure choosing this root before we even started. I would have thought it extremely naive of anyone at the club not to believe that a player of any quality would not have other potential suitors. 

Until we get extra financial backing, start producing home grown strikers or start actually looking further afield then this take of woe is going to be extended indefinitely which is self inflicted, and for me not acceptable. 

Yep, assuming the one on big wages was Cannon. On what planet was he ever coming to us? If we wasted any time pursuing him then we are fools. 

Think abroad will prove the best value for money.

2 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Yep, assuming the one on big wages was Cannon. On what planet was he ever coming to us? If we wasted any time pursuing him then we are fools. 

Think abroad will prove the best value for money.

We've had 3 transfer windows of this now.

Someone at the club is very slow on the uptake.

It's like going to Sotheby's with a pound in your pocket, you're always going to come back empty handed.

I get the impression that a lot of our efforts this window were tokenism by making out to our fans we were trying but knowing that we were never realistically ever going to get anyone in. 

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

It's like going to Sotheby's with a pound in your pocket, you're always going to come back empty handed.

I get the impression that a lot of our efforts this window were tokenism by making out to our fans we were trying but knowing that we were never realistically ever going to get anyone in. 

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Very true and without being harsh we probably only got Yates because Warne’s said previously he keeps in touch with old players of his. 

A good window in my opinion but the inability to sign a striker especially when this has been our Achilles heel before does seem odd.

Who identified Kenzo and can they scout a striker from a foreign league? Surely there must be overseas strikers available for reasonable fees? Early impressions of both our recent overseas signings are good so let’s look further afield than Sheff Weds and get someone with a good resale value. 

2 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Nah, I would imagine it’s Cannon at Leicester. We were loosely linked anyway.