Transfer rumours

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Pretty much what I've been saying for a while, we had a 'competitive' budget but it had to be spread far more thinly than the majority of other clubs.  

I think I like others was hopeful following the early signings we would get a bunch of others and enjoy a comfortable midtable season, as the transfer window has progressed however, I've come to the realisation that this season is simply about staying up whilst we continue the rebuilding process. 

Hopefully we can get 2 or 3 new players in over the next few days and the end of the season won't be too nerve-racking. 

Edited by maxjam

11 minutes ago, vonwright said:

There's a middle ground here. It may well be DC has neither the means nor desire to go above a strict budget but it's not like every club spending more than us is in imminent danger of 'doing a Mel'.

That is true and a good point, but if DC hasn’t got the means (I’m sure it’s not desire) to go above a strict budget - and there are investors on the horizon- then there’s it much point getting upset about it. 

Edited by LazloW

Just now, LazloW said:

That is true and a good point, but if DC hasn’t got the means (I’m sure it’s not desire) to go above a strict budget - and there are investors on the horizon- then there’s it much point getting upset about it. 

I think expectations were set a little high with the 'competitive budget' comments. If we are indeed now shopping for L1 and L2 strikers who are benchwarmers for their current clubs, I can understand fans who don't think that feels 'competitive'. 

1 minute ago, vonwright said:

I think expectations were set a little high with the 'competitive budget' comments. If we are indeed now shopping for L1 and L2 strikers who are benchwarmers for their current clubs, I can understand fans who don't think that feels 'competitive'. 

To add to that the comment about “not here to make up the numbers” suggests the intentions were to have a go not just survive. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes that's the meme that's being pushed. It's not an either or choice. There IS a middle ground.

Which is the one we're actually in, where we spend a bit of money, but not enough for the liking of some, and look for bargains that aren't being offered large signing-on fees by others.

Just now, Crewton said:

Which is the one we're actually in, where we spend a bit of money, but not enough for the liking of some, and look for bargains that aren't being offered large signing-on fees by others.

And some think a different manager could make a better go of it. 👍

1 hour ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

It’s a bit different playing in an empty Wembley to a packed PP.  In any other job, you let people grow and develop at a sensible pace.  Throw him in at PP where he might get 1 or 2 chances per game, miss them and get downbeat.  Go on loan, where he gets 5 or 6 and May score a goal every other game, his confidence grows.  He needs to be nurtured.  And if we have a recall clause, we can have in back in January depending how he’s doing and our needs.  A win-win situation.

After all, he’s had 6 months of mens football in the 5th tier.  If it wasn’t someone who’d come through the academy people would be calling it madness.

Your theoretical situation assumes a positive loan but we know there are many factors at play which can affect that despite how careful we are with his chosen destination.

Nobody is suggesting that we don't let him grow at a sensible pace, just that it's possible for this to be done in-house with the right management.

He might miss chances and get downbeat? So might any senior player, so might Brown even after coming back from a 15+ goal League two season. Anyone can be subject to swings in confidence. At least if it happens here it's something we can help deal with. We're supposed to have this brilliant man manager, that's one of the big selling points, someone who can help guide players through that sort of thing and provide a good positive environment to help nurture them.

What better place than a Paul Warne dressing room to keep a player's confidence up through a bad spell? As soon as the prospect of him actually needing to handle that sort of situation arises though? Nobody trusts him to do it. Similar to how we can't possibly have anyone in the squad who's personality requires any degree of careful management.

Next season I can almost guarantee there'll be some new excuse.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Adeboyejo is exactly the type of striker that we need

He fits the profile, perhaps that is what we need to persevere with, but technically he's not quite good enough IMO. 

I'm torn, because I don't think he is good enough but the fact he fits the profile does give me some comfort that the system would be better for him at the top end. 

He's significantly behind Collins and Charles so will struggle to get game time at Bolton anyway.