Transfer rumours

1 minute ago, Fraser_23 said:

Strange response

Surely it’s a fact that we’ve been after this type of striker for AT LEAST 8 months, yet we haven’t been strongly linked or even signed one of them yet.

My point was merely the above. A concern about why none had been found

Sorry, my mistake, I hadn’t realised the transfer window had closed.

5 minutes ago, Fraser_23 said:

Seems like you’re missing my point, but yeah, be sarcastic, makes you look really funny

Do you not think that the club is working tirelessly every day to make it happen.

Just because you haven’t heard anything doesn’t mean it’s not being addressed.

12 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Do you not think that the club is working tirelessly every day to make it happen.

Just because you haven’t heard anything doesn’t mean it’s not being addressed.

My initial point was that nothing has been heard/seen in the media in AT LEAST 8 months, so yes, i am slightly sceptical. Why does it take 8 months to sign a type of striker that Warne is so seemingly desperate to sign? surely there’s numerous options out there?

Unless you can shed some light on the situation?  Obviously I know not everything is shared with the media, but i genuinely cannot remember a striker link, with that style of play. 

Edited by Fraser_23

32 minutes ago, Fraser_23 said:

My initial point was that nothing has been heard/seen in the media in AT LEAST 8 months, so yes, i am slightly sceptical. Why does it take 8 months to sign a type of striker that Warne is so seemingly desperate to sign? surely there’s numerous options out there?

Unless you can shed some light on the situation?  Obviously I know not everything is shared with the media, but i genuinely cannot remember a striker link, with that style of play. 

Four months ago we didn’t know what division we would be in, the transfer window has been open for less than two months.

49 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

That’s no excuse - clubs always have at least 2 transfer target lists drawn up before the end of the current season. 

I'm sure Pearce did say we had two lists ready and waiting to go, at the previous fans' forum, so you're right.

I think our problem is that we've set budgets, and that strikers are going for way above what we estimated and we haven't reacted quickly enough to that. Or maybe our targets are still on but haven't become available yet - if loans are what we can afford.

There are two questions being raised on this thread - why aren't we bringing in players with potential resale value and why no proper no. 9?

I think the answer to both questions is money. Strikers are expensive and any available ones are going to have multiple clubs chasing them. It looks like we don't have £10m to spend and the perfect player, so we have to be creative. Overseas markets, Premier League loans, gambles on dodgy fitness signings or lower league players are going to be the way to go. All of these routes are going to take a lot due diligence and negotiations. 

As for signing younger players with resale value; in truth it's not compatible with our current position. David Clowes wants to be sustainable, which really means restricted spending. Our first priority has to be players who are almost guaranteed to be good enough to keep us in the division. Ben Osborn type signings were always going to be needed to achieve stability.  Great if we can pick up the odd young, cheap and ready for the first team player like Kenzo, but they're a bonus this season. Generally this type of player will either be expensive or not ready and potentially a waste of money if they don't develop. 

I feel resale value will be a far higher priority next year once we have settled Championship squad.

18 minutes ago, angieram said:

I'm sure Pearce did say we had two lists ready and waiting to go, at the previous fans' forum, so you're right.

I think our problem is that we've set budgets, and that strikers are going for way above what we estimated and we haven't reacted quickly enough to that. Or maybe our targets are still on but haven't become available yet - if loans are what we can afford.

Pearce is meant to be our football expert? Was he Mel's expert too? 😄

Just now, Gerry Daly said:

He's not a football expert, he is expert in football finance and running a club. 

Right. If so who is our football expert, who sets our budgets and negotiates our deals, I've asked before?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Right. If so who is our football expert, who sets our budgets and negotiates our deals, I've asked before?

I think those two functions are separate - as they should be. Scouting teams find the players, the bean counters say yay or nay.

As for the negotiator? Who knows.

5 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I think those two functions are separate - as they should be. Scouting teams find the players, the bean counters say yay or nay.

As for the negotiator? Who knows.

So who sets the budget (not Clowes surely?), when the point above was maybe we're surprised at how much strikers cost, as a reason we've not signed one. Who negotiates their fee and wages?

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So who sets the budget (not Clowes surely?), when the point above was maybe we're surprised at how much strikers cost, as a reason we've not signed one. Who negotiates their fee and wages?

Why wouldn't it be Clowes? He is the owner and a director after all - so I would hazard a guess at it being between him and Pearce. The club doesn't currently list a CFO in the directory.

I don't think the club is under any illusion as to how expensive strikers are. Anyone who has been interested in football knows this. 

5 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Why wouldn't it be Clowes? He is the owner and a director after all - so I would hazard a guess at it being between him and Pearce. The club doesn't currently list a CFO in the directory.

I don't think the club is under any illusion as to how expensive strikers are. Anyone who has been interested in football knows this. 

£10m for Osula is really cheap...

20 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Because this is important, which of those two know anything about the cost of players? We all know players cost a lot of money, but who decides what they are worth and how much to pay? The same goes for 'resale value' doesn't it? How can we set ourselves up as a 'selling club' if we don't know how to 'play the game'? Slightly in the wrong thread, but obviously related. 

Edited by RoyMac5

The budget will be set by the Directors. They will have an idea of how much money we will have in income this season. Some of that will go on player and staff wages. Some will go on the upkeep of PP and MF. What's left plus whatever loss DC is prepared to fund is what we have available for transfers.

It cost DC around £55M to buy the club. According to the most recently published annual accounts, DCFC owes Clowes development £36M. That's £91M the club has cost DC so far. At some point, he's going to want that back. That will mean him selling the club for at least that amount, just to break even. It's getting on for 40% of his estimated wealth of £250M, much of which is tied up in land, buildings, plant, machinery and building materials as opposed to liquid assets. How much more do fans expect him to pour into the club? 

My opinion is that he's about at the limit to which he will go. He has been consistent in saying the club will be run sustainably and be self sufficient. I find it unreasonable for fans to expect him to keep pouring money into the club.

Just now, MadAmster said:

The budget will be set by the Directors. They will have an idea of how much money we will have in income this season. Some of that will go on player and staff wages. Some will go on the upkeep of PP and MF. What's left plus whatever loss DC is prepared to fund is what we have available for transfers.

It cost DC around £55M to buy the club. According to the most recently published annual accounts, DCFC owes Clowes development £36M. That's £91M the club has cost DC so far. At some point, he's going to want that back. That will mean him selling the club for at least that amount, just to break even. It's getting on for 40% of his estimated wealth of £250M, much of which is tied up in land, buildings, plant, machinery and building materials as opposed to liquid assets. How much more do fans expect him to pour into the club? 

My opinion is that he's about at the limit to which he will go. He has been consistent in saying the club will be run sustainably and be self sufficient. I find it unreasonable for fans to expect him to keep pouring money into the club.

That is the overall budget. 

My point was who decided how much a player is worth. How much is too much for a striker? How much would Brown be worth if we sold him? Who decides?