Premier League | 2024/25

Day

It's interesting that when Derby had the same attitude as Chelsea, Villa, Newcastle and Forest, we were the bad guys bending rules going against establishment. Amortisation(Chelsea), supposedly creating false values of players etc. Football especially the prem is becoming an ugly place to be 

• 4 weeks later...

Didn’t know where else to put this, but the BBC has just posted an article about each club’s pre-season friendlies.

How can teams complain about tiredness with such ridiculous schedules?

Take a look at Aston Villa. Small squad and European football.

So they decide to have a pre-season friendly in Slovakia, then 3 in the US in a week in 3 different states (Ohio, New Jersey and Illonois) before a friendly back in the UK and then off to Germany.

Then the season starts a few days later.

All in the space of 3-4 weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

Chelsea are the top spenders again this summer. £250m on 12 players. Bonkers.

Interestingly, City have yet again made a profit this summer with their sales.

I don’t know if City are close to FFP and are waiting for the cycle to complete, but for the second year running, it seems like they are happy to go with what they have.

I’ll probably get this wrong, but I genuinely believe Arsenal have the best team now. I’d give them the edge unless City bring in another top class midfielder + wide player.

48 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

That may not be shocking, but it's mightily depressing!

Yet another trophy that doesn't seem to get shared around much! 

(EDIT... Appreciate that's due to the contenders, which by default is directly relatable to the equal lack of league and FA Cup winners over the decades (OBVS!), so that is arguably a silly comment, on my part!)

Counting a shared win as 0.5...

image.png.542ef6bdb80e84fe31207e7f89376740.png

image.png.813c7d7c65bd7f9faf01af38c701a04b.png

Leicester aside (Arguably), Not one "Against-the-odds" win by the likes of Ipswich, Southampton, West Ham, Coventry, Wimbledon, Blackburn, Newcastle, Portsmouth, and Wigan, just to add a touch of variety, and a minute hint of hope for the common man.  

Stuff like this makes you think Football died a lot longer ago than we sometimes imagine!  

Edited by Mucker1884

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

That may not be shocking, but it's mightily depressing!

Yet another trophy that doesn't seem to get shared around much! 

(EDIT... Appreciate that's due to the contenders, which by default is directly relatable to the equal lack of league and FA Cup winners over the decades (OBVS!), so that is arguably a silly comment, on my part!)

Counting a shared win as 0.5...

image.png.542ef6bdb80e84fe31207e7f89376740.png

image.png.813c7d7c65bd7f9faf01af38c701a04b.png

Leicester aside (Arguably), Not one "Against-the-odds" win by the likes of Ipswich, Southampton, West Ham, Coventry, Wimbledon, Blackburn, Newcastle, Portsmouth, and Wigan, just to add a touch of variety, and a minute hint of hope for the common man.  

Stuff like this makes you think Football died a lot longer ago than we sometimes imagine!  

The community shield is probably the most difficult trophy to win in England if you're not a big five club.

I mean, it would require either winning the PL (almost impossible), finishing second (almost impossible) or winning the FA Cup (not impossible, but Leicester, Wigan and Pompey are the only ones outside the big five to have won it in the last 30 years).

And if you manage any of these unlikely feats, you then have to beat another big five club again in a one off glorified friendly.

Fair competition died decades ago. 

56 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The community shield is probably the most difficult trophy to win in England if you're not a big five club.

I mean, it would require either winning the PL (almost impossible), finishing second (almost impossible) or winning the FA Cup (not impossible, but Leicester, Wigan and Pompey are the only ones outside the big five to have won it in the last 30 years).

And if you manage any of these unlikely feats, you then have to beat another big five club again in a one off glorified friendly.

Fair competition died decades ago. 

The only guarantee for a small club to win it... in the last 50 years... was:

1978:  Dogs v Ipswich

There was at least one big club in all the others!

👀