Derbys a s**t hole I want to go home

On 23/06/2024 at 00:33, uttoxram75 said:

Had a great day in Derby Saturday.

I was put in charge of two granddaughters for the day. 

Booked a slot at the Moorways Water Park, brilliant, had a great time, the girls loved it and i was forced to go on the slides and inflatable stuff with them.

Had half hour on Osmaston Park play area after, families having picnics in the sunshine, all good.

Went over to Markeaton Park, kids had a go on the Zip Wire, pedalo on the lake, ice creams all round etc.

There's a lot wrong with this country and towns and cities like Derby, but the vast majority of people just want to have a bit of leisure time away from the daily grind and are friendly, courteous and polite.

It felt safe and relaxed all day.

Now that sounds like a fun day to me! 

Love how you say you were 'forced' onto the slides and inflatables. It's ok buddy, we won't tell anyone! 😋

On 21/05/2024 at 23:16, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Derby City Centre is the biggest sh!t hole and an intimidating place to be...the only place I have visited worse is Rhyl.

The city centre has changed dramatically over the last 20 years and its such a shame.

Ok I know this was posted ages ago but I went into town about 5pm a couple of months ago and it just had a air of being dodgy as ****.    This is going to sound awful but it is the people - even on a good day it's noticeable how little effort most people in Derby make with their appearance.  Too many act a bit too lairy or swear a bit too loudly.  Groups of blokes who look like they are up to something and who seem to know the street wardens.   People on electric bikes slaloming in and out of pedestrians a bit too fast.

I don't mind it in the evening and maybe a Saturday when people might go into the shops but midweek tea time bloody hell it's depressing.   I used to visit places like Rotherham for work 20-30 years ago and Derby now is like those towns were then - assuming they've also declined I can't imagine what they are like.

I drove through Chesterfield this morning (took a wrong turn and ended up seeing more than I intended) - now obviously some parts are pedestrianised, but the parts I went through were really busy and there were hardly any empty/boarded up shops. In addition, on the way back through Clay Cross (which used to be incredibly run-down) there were only two or three shops that weren't in use.

For years we've heard complaints about how expensive the city is for businesses and there must be a case for dropping business rates to fill the empty premises, but the folk in charge of Derby (whoever they are) seem happy to have one in every three shops standing empty....I just don't don't understand their logic if places like Chesterfield and Clay Cross seem to be able to buck the trend of high streets dying....

A cumulative effect. Online shopping is so convenient and you are guaranteed to get what you want. 
I took the trouble to go into town, and decided on buying an item. Certainly sir. Oh, we’re out of stock. Try in about 4 days time. Went on their website, and ordered exactly what I wanted, arriving today. 
So now lots of enormous warehouses are springing up everywhere. 
The high street is being replaced.

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/06/2024 at 07:31, Mucker1884 said:

Out and about on our bikes yesterday.  Not all in Derby, but we did make a specific comment on just how lovely Alvo Park is these days, as we took a 10min breather on the way home, in glorious early evening sunshine.  Well kept.  Well used.  Nice atmos.  Fisherfolk.  Families strolling or cycling around.  Seemingly well behaved youths making full use of that BMX track thing.  Swans and ducks doing what swans and ducks do.  All rather lovely!

The resurfacing of the bike path from Darley Park, via River Gardens, Pride Park, Alvo Park, past Elvaston Park is now complete, apart from literally the last 4 or 5 metres, where it connects to the B5010 (just below Borrowash Bridge).  That's nigh on 6 miles of smooth, flat tarmac.  Clear and wide, with mostly trimmed verges, and rivalling anything we regale about when holidaying in France.
A massive thumbs up all round.  👍

Unfortunately, the same can't be said about the roadside cycle path alongside the A61 (From Morrisons to Little Eaton roundabout with the A38).  It's narrow as it is, and the overgrowth of the pathside hedgerows is now simply out of control.  Not enough room for oncoming bikes to pass, and we're seemingly just a mistimed pass away from dropping off a hefty kerb into 50mph traffic!
Needs swift action, DCC!

DCC must read your posts!  The verge by the A61 from Morrison’s to Little Eaton has been cut right back - as you said, it was really dangerous cycling a few inches from a very busy road with no places to safely pass other cyclists - it is much better now - best it’s been for many years.

2 hours ago, Bessie1 said:

DCC must read your posts!  The verge by the A61 from Morrison’s to Little Eaton has been cut right back - as you said, it was really dangerous cycling a few inches from a very busy road with no places to safely pass other cyclists - it is much better now - best it’s been for many years.

I think it more likely (or not!) that DCC read Muckerette's rather strongly worded Email (As she uses that route to cycle to and from Belper for work!)
Or it was pure coincidence!  🤷‍♂️

Either way, Yes, a heck of a lot better now.  So much so, I've asked Muckerette to put her name down for more shifts!  🤣