Derbys a s**t hole I want to go home

2 hours ago, Norman said:

Some are on probation, many not re-called when they should be to prison due to the low-risk threat they are seen to present to the public. That and the overcrowding in prisons. 

Many have been given every chance at a fresh start. Months of free accommodation in pretty nice houses, bill-free, with a starter pack of duvets, pillows, TV, kettle, baking trays etc upon release. Give it a week and many are on spice and getting banned from food banks they have no need to be in considering they are bill-free and can't be released without UC being ready upon release. Some even sleep rough despite having a nice house to go back to whilst they are supposed to be sorting themselves out a job and sorting out long-term accommodation. 

It's the areas they congregate that's the problem. Lincoln, Nottingham, Leicester etc all have the same type of resident. It's that the areas in Derby are prominent where they congregate. 

Some not all are casualties of the (couldnt) care in the community and years ago would have been looked after in this area at places like Pastures and Kingsway but are now left to fend for themselves and at the mercy of the dealers and the like . Meanwhile some folk got rich on the sale of Pastures for housing. 
Same for many other areas of the country. 

2 hours ago, Alph said:

If I left Derby I'd return to Elvaston Castle for nostalgia. That's really my only tie to Derby.

Other than that? Shopping? Nightlife? Gigs? Events? Shows?... I leave Derby for all those things now. A lot of the beauty of Derby has been left to the dogs. 

When the kids are grown I can't see myself staying. Even if it's just to move to any of the beautiful villages in Derbyshire I think I'd only go into Derby when I had to. 

I accept there's plenty of places worse. But that's not a great advert. "Come to Derby! There's worse!!"

There's plenty of bad to be said about Notts. But there's so much good that upstages Derby. I go there for all the things listed above. I even end up working there a lot. The only time I've ever felt unsafe is when I'm working in the roughest of rough areas. As you would in any city. But if I'm looking for nice food, a few drinks, nice architecture, watching a play, a gig, a Christmas market.... whatever, why would I pick Derby over Notts. 

Not being Stoke seems to be the height of ambition for Derby City Council

Some great places to eat and drink in Derby , Exeter , Silk Mill , Brunny , Smithfield. I could go on. I wouldn’t drink in Notts apart from about 2 pubs if you paid me. 

18 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Some not all are casualties of the (couldnt) care in the community and years ago would have been looked after in this area at places like Pastures and Kingsway but are now left to fend for themselves and at the mercy of the dealers and the like . Meanwhile some folk got rich on the sale of Pastures for housing. 
Same for many other areas of the country. 

Logic like that doesn't work for some @Reggie Greenwood - easier to set up a fictional story that you can then tar everyone with as some sort of criminal for having fallen on harder times. Why bother to think about how society or infrastructure might have failed / could be improved when you can just blame them all for selling their free kettle or getting spiced out of their heads rather than go find a job?

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Back in the mid 90's you'd have coaches coming into the city from everywhere for a night out in Derby.  Was a great night out. 

I'm sure even 15 years ago it was an ok night out. It wasn't worth traveling to, probably. But you wouldn't have to leave just so you have a decent selection of bars, clubs and pubs to suit your group. 

They killed 'The Mile' was it? I never did it but there's so much of Derby that just seems to have been left for dead as all traffic is sucked into the shopping centre.  

This is without the trail from Showcase Cinema up Osmaston Rd and around to the hippodrome where you can see plenty of buildings that look like we might have caught some stray rockets from Vlad.

11 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I've never been to said park, but I'm loving this image. Did the mounds offer a good vantage spot to see the cards of the opponent. Or were they all just playing Patience by themselves from on high?

Were the cards just a cover for cottaging, or worse still a place to plan the decline of Britain by painting a nearby house a strange colour?

When you put it like that it seems like a lot of fuss about nothing, but pensioners wandering around the park in the 1960s would have had memories of the park from the Edwardian era when most of the visitors to the park would have been very elegantly dressed couples and families strolling around together. If they wanted to sit then they would have sat down on a park bench and not on the grass. The sight of groups of men dossing around the gardens was a shock to many older Derby folk. These men were doing nothing wrong, but it was not the done thing. It’s a bit like a barely dressed Western woman wandering a town in Pakistan. Most of us would say that’s not respectful, but respect doesn’t seem to work the other way round.

A few days ago I saw a schoolboy about to make a bonfire with his old school papers. He said he’d just finished some exams. I told him a fire would not be a good idea. People have their windows open and their washing out. He could see my point and he chucked it all the recycle bin. When I said that people didn't start fires in their gardens in the summer he asked if there was a law against it. I explained that there probably wasn’t but it was just part of being a good neighbour, i.e. giving consideration to the rights and wishes of your neighbours.

He said his mother didn’t seem to know about this unspoken rule because she had no objection to his fire. I could have spent a good hour explaining all the rules I was taught about how to behave but which have been ignored by later generations. Newcomers to the UK have also never been told about these rules and that’s why there are so many disputes in multicultural areas.

Some of these rules seem pointless today. I was told you always walk on the outside of a woman on the street. That was to protect women from muck being thrown by traffic. Most older men still follow this rule. 

Some rules are not pointless. For example, you don’t spit in the street, play loud music in public and you don’t chuck rubbish all over the place. There is no doubt that you see more of this in multicultural areas. 

Multiculturism can only work if people respect the culture of the other. Unfortunately, cultures have conflicting requirements and preferences. That is why multiculturism doesn’t work. The man on Dairyhouse Rd wanted a house  that looked like his old house in Pakistan or wherever and his neighbour wanted all the houses in the row to remain unpainted. As soon as the bricks were painted sky blue and yellow I imagine all the neighbours who could afford to moved away. At that time a house on Dairyhouse Rd cost about £4,000, but Dairyhouse Rd had once been posh and so I wouldn’t be surprised if the neighbours sold at a loss. In the end all the cultures will live in their own parts of the UK. It is inevitable.

4 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

Ge us 10p kid 😂

I have always thought that the mid 1960s  development of the Town centre was carried out without any regard to the character or the history of Derby. 

I suppose only people who knew Derby before the mid 1960s could really appreciate what was lost.  Many of the changes that were made wouldn't have been allowed today but in the 1960s out with the old in with the new was the byword.

Older folk than me have oft reference this.  They do say had we done what York did back then (and since), we'd actually be York now!

Well... I think we'd still be called Derby, but you know what I mean.  🤓

2 hours ago, Normanton Lad said:

Multiculturism can only work if people respect the culture of the other. Unfortunately, cultures have conflicting requirements and preferences. That is why multiculturism doesn’t work. The man on Dairyhouse Rd wanted a house  that looked like his old house in Pakistan or wherever and his neighbour wanted all the houses in the row to remain unpainted. As soon as the bricks were painted sky blue and yellow I imagine all the neighbours who could afford to moved away. At that time a house on Dairyhouse Rd cost about £4,000, but Dairyhouse Rd had once been posh and so I wouldn’t be surprised if the neighbours sold at a loss. In the end all the cultures will live in their own parts of the UK. It is inevitable.

My parents moved up from Abingdon Street to 125 Dairyhouse Road in 1955 when I was 8, cost £3000 I think. Quite posh, big houses. Moved away in 1961 when 75% of neighbours became Asian. Moved up again to Valley Road, Chaddesden where they stayed until 1990 when my Dad moved to his homeland of Alvaston. My Dad was a quarter Gujurati as well, which makes me a quadroon. Must be why I like curry…..

8 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

This is an opinion and not a dig at you.

Professionals you say...hhhmmm, Altho Derby has City status it's still a small town, The huge block on Victoria street fronts onto the old Duckworth Square which leads onto Green lane which has a drug problem, I'll wager a good proportion will be buys to let, Take a look at the block on Gower Street a 5 minute walk from Victoria Street even the rats are moving out.

Students, I was a caretaker for 3 apartment blocks at Flamstead Court on Derby University Campus on Kedleston road those students weren't the best when looking after these homes or surrounding area.

Derby isn't a metropolis, Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, London, Newcastle, Birmingham are some of the places where these blocks would fit in, Derby isn't...imo 

The new apartments on Duckworth Square aren't available to buy. They are all owned by a single institutional landlord (Grainger) who let them out, manage the building, offer gym, rooftop garden, concierge etc. the building has outperformed their expectations in terms of getting people in.

14 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

The new apartments on Duckworth Square aren't available to buy. They are all owned by a single institutional landlord (Grainger) who let them out, manage the building, offer gym, rooftop garden, concierge etc. the building has outperformed their expectations in terms of getting people in.

Very nice...and the price 😬

https://the-condor.co.uk/

59 minutes ago, Rambam said:

To think my first home in South London, a bedsit in a Victorian house with shared bathroom and toilet was £4.50 a week in 1971. 

Would cost you 200/week now. A lot of councils are trying to reduce shared properties these days. Era of cheap housing for young people moving around the country is over. Of course the nuance of this isn’t picked up in inflation statistics.

On 22/05/2024 at 08:36, Mostyn6 said:

generally all busy towns/cities that are diverse and multi-cultural are dumps.

Truro has plenty of drug takers and alcoholics sleeping rough and it's about the size of Matlock. Saw a drunk young couple being bundled into a cop car as I walked to the dentist early. 

Truro is not really known for its multicultural diversity. Although I think the fat woman with green hair screaming at the copper may have been from Devon.

its almost like decades of neglect in mental health services, and support systems in general have had a negative impact. 

Since 2014, the budget to deal with addiction issues has been halved, when inflation is taken into consideration. 

6 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Some great places to eat and drink in Derby , Exeter , Silk Mill , Brunny , Smithfield. I could go on. I wouldn’t drink in Notts apart from about 2 pubs if you paid me. 

I don't think these places are really cutting it as a buzzing nightlife for those looking to let loose a bit. 

I mean, they're places I'd go for a beer and a bite if I was meeting a mate.  But I'm not sure they cut it for what many of a younger age call a night out, do they? 

1 minute ago, Alph said:

I don't think these places are really cutting it as a buzzing nightlife for those looking to let loose a bit. 

I mean, they're places I'd go for a beer and a bite if I was meeting a mate.  But I'm not sure they cut it for what many of a younger age call a night out, do they? 

They all sell Coke, don't they?

/may be missing the point a little