UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

10 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I thought Walker did well against Williams in the first half, as did Shaw against Lamal. But right from the off in the second half, Walker was like a different player and Spain exploited our weak RHS thereafter. Lamal had also clearly been told at HT to drift inside to avoid Shaw and started causing consistent problems because no-one tracked him.

Williams for me was MOTM, Had to much space even tho Walker was up and down the pitch, 2nd half for 10mins Walker had gone awol, He's 34 now so not many more years at the top I guess, I don't think he got too much support from Saka and certainly didn't in the 2nd half.

Shaw had Yamal on a string, Experience showed how you can play a 17 year genius, For me Spain won it in midfield, They controlled large parts of the game, But at 1-1 I thought...now go for it, Sadly we reverted to type, Yep had 1 cleared off the line at the end and maybe Rice should be hitting the target, If it had gone in...then maybe just maybe Spain's confidence would have dropped.

All guesswork now tho, Spain were worthy winners 👍   

Over the 90 minutes the best team won

IMO, Safegate's belt and braces tactics cost us. We don't have the players to play that game. We do have the players to play the game Spain played. Same keeper, same back 4. Rice at 6, Jude at 8, Foden at 10, Gordon wide left, Saka or Palmer wide right. That would give Kane the 2 quick wide players he was used to at Spurs and also gets at Bayern. I think we'd have seen much more of him played in that team but I still think we'd have been even better off with Watkins there.

We have some excellent players but they were being asked to do different jobs to the ones they do for their clubs. If you're going to pick a style, then pick players who fit that style. Do NOT pick a style and then ask the players to do other than that which we see week in, week out at their clubs. It's going to end up hurting and it did.

Southgate? Got us further than any other manager of late and only Ramsey's '66 lads ever won a tournament. He deserves credit for that but I also think he takes the blame for us not winning either/both of the last 2 Euros.

I don't go with the "luck of the draw" argument. All teams got where they were in the last 16 due to their results from the group stages. They all got placed where their results placed them. Same for everybody.

IMO, he'll go. Who to replace him? Many are saying Mourinho. I say no as he plays the same way Safegate has. Keep it tight and hit on the break. Klopp would be a great shout. Look at the attacking players we have who didn't make the squad. Klopp would love to work with those and being England manager wouldn't be as intense as being gaffer at a top club.

Best team won (all their games). Some great moments though made it worthwhile... last minute goals, penalties all scored, pickfords performance, super subs, excellent fan videos on youtube. Nice one.

Edited by TimRam

Best team of the tournament won it being the best team in the final. No complaints there.

The coulda, woulda, shoulda arguments over how we played will rumble on for decades, however this isn’t it for the likes of Palmer, Foden and Bellingham, they are just getting started, it’s not a generation that’s been lost and when Southgate steps down. 

The FA have a huge task on their hands appointing a manager that can get the best out if them.

Klopp would obviously be the dream, just not sure it would be dream job for Klopp, the FA have to ask the question. After that, not sure where we go but England itself isn’t blessed with many candidates right now.

In typically England fashion, we finally get a generation of talented players and we have a dearth of managerial options....🙄

This is definitely a missed opportunity. We played maybe 3 decent halves of football across the entire tournament, and we got to the final. Tbh, if it had been anybody other than Spain in the final I'd probably have fancied us to somehow do them. It was Spain though, and they've been by far and away the best team in the tournament so congratulations to them. Really the bigger missed opportunity was the previous Euros, losing to f***ing Italy....

Southgate - stick or twist time I suppose. I wouldn't get rid until we've found someone better. Change for change's sake will just set us back.

The next Euros is at home. We really need to be targeting that. 

It's slightly ironic that England lost to a team who "get it out wide and cross it" as often as possible and who are also brilliant at corners and set-pieces. That used to be English football to a T. The difference is that Spain have a base of brilliant midfielders and mobile defenders who press a team to death and build up pressure that is hard to break free from. They've created another football revolution as far as tactics go, but it'd be a disaster for any other team to try it without equally great players.

I think Pickford had a great tournament but he’s gone right down in my estimation ever since that TV bit when he was asked if he agreed that goalkeepers had to have a degree of insanity. He replied that he had never heard the word “insanity “ before and didn’t know what it meant. He explained that he was just a lad from the north east. Strewth! 

We did better than I expected, but every single time it comes to a game like this the same thing happens.

We don’t keep the ball. Carrick would play in this team over Rice every single day of the week (probably alongside, to be fair). 

1 hour ago, StaffsRam said:

In typically England fashion, we finally get a generation of talented players and we have a dearth of managerial options....🙄

This is definitely a missed opportunity. We played maybe 3 decent halves of football across the entire tournament, and we got to the final. Tbh, if it had been anybody other than Spain in the final I'd probably have fancied us to somehow do them. It was Spain though, and they've been by far and away the best team in the tournament so congratulations to them. Really the bigger missed opportunity was the previous Euros, losing to f***ing Italy....

Southgate - stick or twist time I suppose. I wouldn't get rid until we've found someone better. Change for change's sake will just set us back.

The next Euros is at home. We really need to be targeting that. 

Finally, Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland all manage to get to a Euros tournament alongside England 🙂

2 hours ago, Papahet said:

Should've won and I'd bet my life we would've if the manager wasn't Southgate.

Awful awful manager, some of the best young talent in world football at his disposal and yet plays with two holding midfielders and a cart horse in Kane - Who clearly wasn't fit.

Walker struggled from the off versus Neco Williams, what did Southgate do to address it? Nowt.

We forget how good Saka, Foden and Bellingham are under Southgate, due to the defensive style he's insistent with.

Don't think we'll ever get as good an opportunity to win anything.

Amateur manager, stick to making Pizza Hut commercials 

Should've won based on what exactly? Because we are England? Is it not possible for other countries to have a good team?

The current crop of players are, IMO, good enough to win it. Look at players who weren't in Germany through injury or simply not selected by Southgate.

We need to do one of two things. Pick a system and then select players who fit that system OR we select our best players and then decide which system best fits them. No more deciding on a system, pick a plethora of good players and then shoehorn them into roles to which they aren't suited.   

7 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Finally, Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland all manage to get to a Euros tournament alongside England 🙂

Even when we're all hosting though that isn't guaranteed as all 4 home nations + the Republic have all agreed to go through qualifying. There's two qualification slots reserved in case any of them don't make it, but should all 5 fail to qualify then 3 would still miss out. 

England should be fine, but the rest.....? 😐

I only watched 2 & 1/2 games, but I understand that we only looked ‘decent’ in one of the seven games.  We drew against Denmark, Slovenia and Switzerland. We drew against Slovakia over 90 minutes thanks to a wonderful bit of skill in the last minute from Bellingham, and we were hanging on for our one-nil victory over Serbia.  We had the best side of the draw again.

If The FA and Southgate think this was a good effort, and deserving of a contract extension, I will not bother watching any more England games until we have his replacement.

The chosen system is fine, if you have the players to play it. The players chosen are fine, if played in the right system. We had the players there to play the way the Spanish did. We left some of them on the bench.

38 minutes ago, Crewton said:

It's slightly ironic that England lost to a team who "get it out wide and cross it" as often as possible and who are also brilliant at corners and set-pieces. That used to be English football to a T. The difference is that Spain have a base of brilliant midfielders and mobile defenders who press a team to death and build up pressure that is hard to break free from. They've created another football revolution as far as tactics go, but it'd be a disaster for any other team to try it without equally great players.

I would say Spain play the almost like how Warne wants us to play - except Spain can also do the possession based side of things much better

51 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

I think Pickford had a great tournament but he’s gone right down in my estimation ever since that TV bit when he was asked if he agreed that goalkeepers had to have a degree of insanity. He replied that he had never heard the word “insanity “ before and didn’t know what it meant. He explained that he was just a lad from the north east. Strewth! 

I love his passion but on the flip side, the amount of time he wastes with his theatrics when he claims the ball completely slows the game down, his distribution on the whole wasn't that great this tournament either.