UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The main issue we'll have is at CF - with Kane, Watkins and Toney all in their 30s next tournament. Kane's goals in particular will be very hard to replace. We're probably reliant on Solanke stepping up, or Cameron Archer maturing quickly.

If we had Ancelotti as manager, he'd put Bellingham at CF, with Saka and Gordon either side of him. He'd then be able to play a trio with Mainoo at the base, Rice and one of Foden/Palmer.

I honestly think if we're going to go with the defensive, low block counter attacking football in big games, that's how we'd do it. Sacrifice trying to control a midfield, but have runners on the counter. 

That's how Real Madrid overcame teams in the CL this season. 

But then again, Ancelotti is a level or two above Southgate.

12 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Spain must be early favorites for the next World Cup in two years.

They clearly have a great set-up with lots of players in their prime and young stars coming through.

Brilliant coach too.

If we got someone decent to coach us I’d say we have a good chance too. Problem is I don’t know who?

1 minute ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Kane was nearly playing in defence he was that deep.

Because he wasn't being given the ball, well except for Pickford trying to kick deep to him. And another comment about Saka not finding Kane in the box because of Kane not trying, well Saka's crossing was none existant all game and Harry was in the middle, but yet again no passes came to him.

Just now, Crewton said:

One point for the future : one team having a day more to rest and prepare is an advantage which is completely unnecessary. Both semifinals should be on the same day so that no side has that advantage for such a crucial game.

We could have had 5 day extra and it would have made no difference. The team selection and tactics were wrong. Same every game to easy for any opponent to work out after 6 years

16 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

"Since May 2001, Spanish teams have played in 27 major finals (Champions League, Europa League, World Cup, Euros). There has been a Spanish winner in all 27 finals."

I assume 4 of those were Spanish v Spanish, so guaranteed to have a Spanish winner.

I read...

23 finals against non-Spanish opposition, and won all 23.

Either way... Meh!  👀

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Because he wasn't being given the ball, well except for Pickford trying to kick deep to him. And another comment about Saka not finding Kane in the box because of Kane not trying, well Saka's crossing was none existant all game and Harry was in the middle, but yet again no passes came to him.

I doubt Kane will pull an England shirt on again.

1 minute ago, Crewton said:

One point for the future : one team having a day more to rest and prepare is an advantage which is completely unnecessary. Both semifinals should be on the same day so that no side has that advantage for such a crucial game.

To be fair, from the quarters onwards, the rest days between games seemed totally random and not obviously geared towards favouring the teams who had earned an advantage by finishing higher in the groups

All in all though -hard  to argue that Spain didn't deserve that. Best team in the competition by a mile. If we'd won it would have been total pants-down s**thousery on our part

19 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

think we'll have an even better squad in 2 years time. There are a lot of young players in this squad, and those who didn't even make it this time, who will improve in that time.

Unfortunately you can say the same of Spain 

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

At least we won't have to listen to that "It's coming home" nonsense for another 2 years.

It will be "coming home" in 2028 when the Euros returns to England and the UK. Hosting a tournament is the only way it can actually come home.

9 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

We could have had 5 day extra and it would have made no difference. The team selection and tactics were wrong. Same every game to easy for any opponent to work out after 6 years

Why don't you address the point I made rather than one I didn't?