UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

Cutting back isn't the problem, it's the willingness to run in behind and not be suckered in to wanting the ball to feet.

I think they're one in the same: These players aren't used to playing with each other so when you're talking about getting in behind the defensive line it's a question of timing, familiarity with each other is important. Foden isn't a player that gets in behind either, really, he plays between the lines. I agree this has caused issues. When combined with the lack of width on the left hand side means the defensive team can tighten up when out of position, the speed that we move the ball is slow because of the lack of familiarity and they almost have to show themselves for the ball. 

Unless we get genuine width on the left, I don't think we will fix any of the issues that have personally. When you don't have anyone who can go on the outside, it makes it really predictable. 

By all accounts it looks like we're in for much of the same, bar Gallagher for Trent. A little more energy in midfield but suspect that we will look just as rigid going forward. 

For England with the standard of players they have the tournament only really starts in the knock out phase and it really only comes down to winning games and beating what’s in front of them , though I’m not a great fan of Southgate the performance s so far mean bugger all , can they win the important games , is he a manager that can get the team over the line ? That is what he and the team will be judged on 🤷🏻‍♂️

Southgate has done a poor job so far this tournament and made some very strange comments.

A lot of England fans are entitled twonks who have no clue what they're talking about.

Both can be true at the same time. It's not binary.

If past tournaments are anything to go by, the moment we played somebody decent - Belgium, Croatia, Italy and France - we lost.

Where Southgate has thrived in previous tournaments is England looking comfortable against potential banana skins, beating the likes of Sweden, Czech, Denmark, Senegal and Ukraine without too much fuss.

England need a big win or a big scalp to get the feel good factor back.

I think even if we play poorly, if we managed to beat an Italy, Portugal or France at the quarter-final the belief will return.

There's a reason why the Austrians are doing well they had to go to a Rod Stewart concert before the tournament for team bonding. The Italians before the last Euros had to do a 3 hour sing-a-long tv special on their main TV station. Maybe that's the winning formula embarrass your players into playing well.

I just don't understand why managers don't play the players in the position they are best in. Is all this pissing about by Southgate because we don't have a Kalvin Philiips replacement? Really? He's so wedded to one system of playing, shoe-horning players in where they don't fit. He'd rather lose? I suppose this is the last time he will repeat his failures of the past - before anyone starts I don't think I've missed seeing us win anything. I've seen teams with lesser resources win things though.

Edited by RoyMac5