UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

8 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Let's hope we've got El Warnio in very watertight handcuffs.

We don't want him doing a Lampardovic, and running off to take up his dream job!  

With @Returning ram talking about bashing his keyboard and you about watertight handcuffs, I thought I was in the wrong forum for a moment. 

At least the wrong one before Mrs Badger has retired for the evening. 

VAR as been working well until an English official is put in charge of it.

A perfectly good goal ruled out by the incompetent Atwell. 

The Dutch player wasn't interfering with play. The French keeper's legs were spread so far apart, he wasn't capable of diving for the ball, even if the Dutch player hadn't been stood where he was.

33 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

VAR as been working well until an English official is put in charge of it.

A perfectly good goal ruled out by the incompetent Atwell. 

The Dutch player wasn't interfering with play. The French keeper's legs were spread so far apart, he wasn't capable of diving for the ball, even if the Dutch player hadn't been stood where he was.

As a Frenchman, I can say thank  Duck Atwell was on VAR tonight, bloody brilliant he is.

(This man has been stealing a living as a ref for years. That goal should have never been disallowed)

Think last nights offside sits in one of footballs many twilight zones. Offside to the letter of the law, but anyone with eyes can see he didn’t affect the ball going in.

Personally think Atwell’s biggest clanger was taking too long. He should’ve just made a judgement call one way or another or ask the ref to go to the screen straight away and let him make the call.

As Koeman said post match, you can’t be talking for 4 minutes and then chalk it off, it’s not clear and obvious at that point.

In other news: It’s quite embarrassing that England’s two matches must be in the bottom 5 so far for entertainment. We’re stinking the place out, that’s said can’t wait for Tuesday already. Surely Southgate will do some tinkering and get us firing?

19 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Think last nights offside sits in one of footballs many twilight zones. Offside to the letter of the law, but anyone with eyes can see he didn’t affect the ball going in.

Atwell...give me strength, A product of the George Courtney school of dip sticks, Technocrats are running the game, I honestly believe there's officials out there that don't understand the game, Probably never even played the game, You know the ones, Those that have the ball so you ask them to come down the park, All players are lined up and the captains take it in turns to pick a player, The Atwells of this world are the last person to be picked and end up in goal.

I think we know that IFAB will come out and explain in intricate detail of the minutiae of the VARs decision and protect the the tool that Atwell is.   

29 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Personally think Atwell’s biggest clanger was taking too long. He should’ve just made a judgement call one way or another or ask the ref to go to the screen straight away and let him make the call.

As Koeman said post match, you can’t be talking for 4 minutes and then chalk it off, it’s not clear and obvious at that point.

He was standing in an offside position but was not committing an offence (IMO) as he didn’t play the ball, wasn’t obstructing the keepers line of vision and wasn’t obstructing the keeper from getting to the ball. I guess it’s the last point that is marginally debatable.

For all the stick Atwell is getting (rightly IMO for taking so long) doesn’t VAR protocol say that the referee makes the final decision. VAR is exactly what is says - an assistant. Or have I got that wrong? If I’m right then the fault also lies with the referee but, I can’t ever remember a referee reviewing a decision, based on VAR advice, but deciding to stick with their original call.

45 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

In other news: It’s quite embarrassing that England’s two matches must be in the bottom 5 so far for entertainment. We’re stinking the place out, that’s said can’t wait for Tuesday already. Surely Southgate will do some tinkering and get us firing?

Not sure what he’s going to do as there’s not phenomenal options to fix it.

The issue is stylistically, every single midfielder and forward on the pitch wants to come short and receive the ball to feet. This is shrinking the pitch, forcing us deeper when the defence get the ball in our own third and it’s really easy to defend against. We need balance with some players who want to run in behind and stretch the play. This is being exacerbated further by having a left back who can’t stick wide and has to turn back whenever he gets it because he’s not a left back.

The only way you could begin to make something out of this team selection as it is, is by setting your stall out playing on the half way line and playing fast. That last point is key, as England don’t seem to know the meaning of moving the ball quickly with any intensity.

Trent needs to be dropped because he’s not a midfielder, but he then needs to either move Bellingham back to move Foden inside allowing for Gordon on the left. Or, simply bench Foden for Gordon and bring in Wharton or Mainoo (he would pick Gallagher, because Southgate). There’s clamour for Palmer but he’s the same style as what’s on the pitch. Southgate needs to drop players he perceives as better actual players for the benefit of team cohesion and balance.

It was a poor squad selection truth be told. Too many similar players. As bad as Rashford has been, he would have helped with this. You can see why he picked Sterling or Rashford so much in tournaments gone by. Added balance and pace in behind.

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Not sure what he’s going to do as there’s not phenomenal options to fix it.

The issue is stylistically, every single midfielder and forward on the pitch wants to come short and receive the ball to feet. This is shrinking the pitch, forcing us deeper when the defence get the ball in our own third and it’s really easy to defend against. We need balance with some players who want to run in behind and stretch the play. This is being exacerbated further by having a left back who can’t stick wide and has to turn back whenever he gets it because he’s not a left back.

The only way you could begin to make something out of this team selection as it is, is by setting your stall out playing on the half way line and playing fast. That last point is key, as England don’t seem to know the meaning of moving the ball quickly with any intensity.

Trent needs to be dropped because he’s not a midfielder, but he then needs to either move Bellingham back to move Foden inside allowing for Gordon on the left. Or, simply bench Foden for Gordon and bring in Wharton or Mainoo (he would pick Gallagher, because Southgate). There’s clamour for Palmer but he’s the same style as what’s on the pitch. Southgate needs to drop players he perceives as better actual players for the benefit of team cohesion and balance.

It was a poor squad selection truth be told. Too many similar players. As bad as Rashford has been, he would have helped with this. You can see why he picked Sterling or Rashford so much in tournaments gone by. Added balance and pace in behind.

Yeah agree that the 1/2 changes will be the ones that everyone is saying. 

I really like Wharton but he seems last in the pack and with Southgate wasting Denmark on TAA it limits Wharton’s chance drastically. 

Think Gordon will get the nod and sadly he’ll need to bring his top top form if we’re going get further than the QF. FWIW once Gordon is knackered I’d put Watkins on the left. Think he played there at times for Brentford and has the hustle non of the other options have.

23 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Pickford

Walker        Guehi       Stones     Gomez

Wharton  Rice

Saka           Bellingham     Foden    
                          Palmer 

Keep the ball on the ground. No long punts from Pickford. Pass it quickly and bravely to make the most of our talent.

We fool ourselves.  Our talent comprises 3 who would walk into a world XI (Foden, Bellingham, Walker), one who is brilliant only if the system is designed to accommodate his prodigious gifts (TAA), and a large bunch of excellent players who wouldn’t quite get into the French, German or Spanish sides 

32 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

We fool ourselves.  Our talent comprises 3 who would walk into a world XI (Foden, Bellingham, Walker), one who is brilliant only if the system is designed to accommodate his prodigious gifts (TAA), and a large bunch of excellent players who wouldn’t quite get into the French, German or Spanish sides 

So up to 4 get into them teams, that's a pretty good platform to be honest. Look at it the other way round and on paper and you'd probably come to the same conclusion, France for example looked pretty inefficient without their talisman last night.

For me it's not about the best players, but the best team. We seem to be playing (imo) too many out of position, experimenting at the stage seems strange to me. That said, it's not an easy job and whatever GS does will get criticism, we are still top of the group and unbeaten and the stick he is facing is ridiculous.

59 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Wait a sec here. As a french supporter, I' ll also have Kane, Palmer and Saka , Eze and Rice, thank you very much, no questions asked. You can have Dembele, Thuram, Koman and I ll throw a young inexperienced lad who looks deceptively slow, Giroud.

5 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

First thing to do is drop Alexaner-Arnold and put a rocket up John Stones as he seems intent on becoming the slowest passer of the ball in history.

8 hours ago, Srg said:

Right On Yes GIF by Christopher Pindling