UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Branthwaite out too by the looks of it, that’s staggering. He’s the kind of player who will be in the England squad for the next decade, give him some tournament experience instead of Lewis Dunk who has looked dreadful every time he’s played for England.

That for me is only headscratcher for that reason you've made and maybe Trafford over Henderson to give him Senior tournament experience as the 3rd Goalie. I also am worried about our presence down the left with the lack of a true left footed wing back. Meaning as Shaw has not trained with boots on yet for me is too much of a gamble. 

Edited by eddielewis

Having 26 as a squad list means we can gamble with Shaws fitness.

Branthwaite seems strange to me, then I think how much have I actually seen him play and how much is the hype surrounding him that has influenced them thoughts. Southgate seems happy with what he has, sees them in training, was an England defender and I don't think he has picked Dunk for the giggles, so have to back his judgement.

24 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Branthwaite would be STARTING for me, never mind not even in the squad. Baffling. 

Me too. With what’s been chosen it looks like it’s going to be Stones and Guehi, but the defence looks incredibly weak.

If Shaw can be fully fit, big if, then we might be OK at full back. We then have to hope that the likes of Rice, Wharton, Mainoo can provide enough of a shield to protect our weak point.

The only real miss is Maguire. He’s been such a huge player for England in the last three major tournaments and we knew exactly what we were getting with him and Stones at the back. We have to hope one of Guehi, Konsa or Dunk grabs their chance and runs with it.

Everyone on social media foaming over Branthwaite is odd. Southgate will obviously want the most experienced defence possible and be more inclined to take chances on younger, less proven and more en vogue players further forward.

Branthwaite is obviously a great prospect but he is also 21 and he is coming off his breakthrough year in the PL and a good year out on loan at PSV before that. It would be a gamble. He’s got another six tournament cycles to make his mark, let’s be honest.

The focus should be on what we have and that’s a potentially very tantalising midfield and attack that should be able to cover for any loss of defensive strength.

Rice, Foden, Bellingham, Saka and Kane are all coming off world-class level individual seasons and you have the likes of Wharton, Eze and Palmer who are all looking to make an impression.

We should make the semis and from there anything can happen.

7 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

I cant understand the Tomori situation.

Serie A winner and runner up, proper defender, decent on the ball, pace to burn, I’ve always rated the lad.

Southgate prefers Dunk! 🤔

Even though I lived him at Derby I have to admit he has never flattered himself in an England shirt.

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

Tomori should have been in there. Would slot in next to Stones in Maguire's absence.

13 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Serie A winner and runner up, proper defender, decent on the ball, pace to burn, I’ve always rated the lad.

Genuine question how many time have you seen him play this season?

I would probably have taken Branthwaite over Dunk but I doubt either would play at any point so doesn’t really matter. I don’t rate Dunk at all though so if we do end up with him playing I think we’re in bother.

I might have been tempted to have Mitchell in the provisional and then final so theres less pressure on Shaw’s fitness but assume one of the right backs will shift over. Hopefully not Trippier. 

Grealish over Bowen too maybe.

2 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Tomori should have been in there. Would slot in next to Stones in Maguire's absence.

Don't think the season just ended has been his best from what I've seen. 

The bookies odds look weird to me. Can we really be the favourites, when it seems like out squad is in such a transitional phase?

Italy outside the top 5 favourites at 16/1 seems like they could be worth a punt.

Croatia at 40/1 have they suddenly become that bad??

Scotland at 80/1 compared to the Czechs and Poland at 175/1. Has someone put drugs in their haggis?

2 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Crap in the air, even in the Championship.

Granted so is Guehi.

3 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

My boss is an AC Milan season ticket holder - up until this season he has been a huge fan of Tomori but he's had a shocker of a year. 

'He plays without brain' was the latest frustration of someone who watches every time he takes to the pitch. It sounds like he was reliant on the form, consistency of Kjaer and he's no longer in-form, nor consistent and Tomori has followed suit.