UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

3 hours ago, cannable said:

We aren’t as good as people think we are.

Left-back and that third centre-mid are a massive problem with no obvious solution. 

The ‘keeper and centre-halves are good, not great.

i think we really overrated the team we have. if you made a best XI on paper of the whole euros how many england players would get into it? 

i would argue maybe foden, walker and kane. but even kane is debatable with the likes of mbappe & dont rule ronaldo out pulling something out the bag for portugal.

we have loads of attacking midfielders and not much else

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, alram said:

i think we really overrated the team we have. if you made a best XI on paper of the whole euros how many england players would get into it? 

i would argue maybe foden, walker and kane. but even kane is debatable with the likes of mbappe & dont rule ronaldo out pulling something out the bag for portugal.

we have loads of attacking midfielders and not much else

Bellingham would get into any team, Rice is probably top 5 in the world for a holding midfielder.  So we have Walker, Foden, Bellingham and Kane thats 4 top  world class players in one team, not bad.  Palmer, Saka, Rice , Stones and Trent are also top notch players.

Then lots of good impact players like Gordon and Watkins. We have a very good squad but yes overated by some as we are certainly not clear favourites if you add in Terry,Cole and Rio we would probably piss it but we dont have them.

Edited by Marriot Ram99

In years gone by we have had too many bag holders. Players who play for the world's best domestic sides, but all they are is support players for better teammates. 

But it finally feels like in Kane, Foden, Bellingham and Rice we have players who are actually their own team's better players.

Having said that, that is only four positions. I feel we are weak at left-back, central defence and the midfield balance. Bellingham has had an amazing season playing as a false 9. That's half of Kane's role. Rice hasn't been playing as a holding midfielder, more as a number 6. And Foden is better centrally, so where does he and Bellingham fit in the same team?

I hope we don't have another Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard situation of brilliant midfield players but they can't play together.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

In years gone by we have had too many bag holders. Players who play for the world's best domestic sides, but all they are is support players for better teammates. 

But it finally feels like in Kane, Foden, Bellingham and Rice we have players who are actually their own team's better players.

Having said that, that is only four positions. I feel we are weak at left-back, central defence and the midfield balance. Bellingham has had an amazing season playing as a false 9. That's half of Kane's role. Rice hasn't been playing as a holding midfielder, more as a number 6. And Foden is better centrally, so where does he and Bellingham fit in the same team?

I hope we don't have another Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard situation of brilliant midfield players but they can't play together.

Southgate does at least seem to favour balanced systems over shoehorning in talented individuals. 

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Interesting view. It is certainly possible to have too many flair players but I think we can win it with Bellingham, Rice and Foden in midfield and Saka, Kane and Palmer up front, even if our defence is patchy.

5 hours ago, cannable said:

We aren’t as good as people think we are.

Left-back and that third centre-mid are a massive problem with no obvious solution. 

The ‘keeper and centre-halves are good, not great.

Fortunately, all other teams aren't perfect either.

5 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

A lot will made of the announcement today I’m sure, but the big thing Southgate has now over previous tournaments is a real star player. If Southgate puts a team together that is going to get the best out of Bellingham then we’ll be ok because his performances will raise those around him. We’ve had very good squads in recent years but without a real ‘best in the world’ type player, we have one now and I think having that player is the real key to winning these tournaments. Can only think of Italy in recent seasons who maybe didn’t, but depends how much weight you put behind how good Chiesa was at Euro 2021?

Whilst you are right, Foden must surely be in that conversation too. He has just won player of the year in the Premier League and scored loads of goals.

We also have one of the best centre forwards in the world and one of the best centre midfielder. Plus Saka and Palmer who have also been outstanding.

Whilst I've previously understood and agreed with Southgate's approach, I'm now thinking screw it, just play Rice, Bellingham, Foden, Saka, Palmer and Kane all together.

Stones, Walker and Pickford too. Just the other CB and LB to choose.

I am surprised that many have us down as favourites.

For me, it’s France (based on pedigree and tournament experience) and Portugal (based on sheer depth of quality) who look like the two front runners with us looking a very strong bet for the semi-finals.

In truth though, you could put a blanket over us, France, Portugal, Spain, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands and Italy and there wouldn’t be very much to separate any of us in a one off game, which is why I am surprised so many are so confident. It’s very much fine lines once you get to the latter stages.

No surprises in the squad picked thus far. We know that Pickford, Walker, Stones, Maguire and Shaw will make up the defence if fit and with their familiarity and tournament experience they should be able to hold off most opposition without a worry.

The conundrum is getting the balance of the front six right. It might just be a case of playing 4-3-3 with a fluid set up until we face opposition that demands a rethink.

I do think it would be a brave call to play Mainoo or Wharton alongside Rice in any case. It is a big step going from flourishing in the PL for 6-9 months to delivering on the big stage of international football.

Well I must admit that Southgate has been a bit more ruthless at weeding out the old guard than I thought.

However, his picking of some cracks, plus the fact that it's a provisional 30 suggests that there isn't complete clarity in the thinking yet.....

7 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

And this is what lurks......it smells like panic rather than a thought through strategy.

It actually smells like:

Rashford had a very poor season and loads of players currently better in that position. Last season was one of his beat for Utd.

Henderson has been his leader in the squad for years, but his daft decision to go to Saudi, combined with an injury in March means he is now no longer at the required level.

Phillips has hardly played all season and has been terrible when he did play.

James and Chillwell are both not fit.

Dier has been out the squad for a long while, possibly could have forced his was back in after great season with Bayern.

Sterling, not sure if he has been in recently anyway, but clearly overtaken by better players in Foden, Bowen, Gordon and obviously Palmer.

Which if these decisions would you describe as panic and also, which of them should he have axed earlier in the easy qualification campaign? Probably Henderson could have gone earlier.

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

It actually smells like:

Rashford had a very poor season and loads of players currently better in that position. Last season was one of his beat for Utd.

Henderson has been his leader in the squad for years, but his daft decision to go to Saudi, combined with an injury in March means he is now no longer at the required level.

Phillips has hardly played all season and has been terrible when he did play.

James and Chillwell are both not fit.

Dier has been out the squad for a long while, possibly could have forced his was back in after great season with Bayern.

Sterling, not sure if he has been in recently anyway, but clearly overtaken by better players in Foden, Bowen, Gordon and obviously Palmer.

Which if these decisions would you describe as panic and also, which of them should he have axed earlier in the easy qualification campaign? Probably Henderson could have gone earlier.

Bringing players in he hasn't given any significant game time to.

Picking a left back he admits he doesn't know the fitness of.

Picking a provisional squad of 30....why?

Bringing back players previously discarded (Gomez).

This is all a plan, right?

27 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Bringing players in he hasn't given any significant game time to.

Picking a left back he admits he doesn't know the fitness of.

Picking a provisional squad of 30....why?

Bringing back players previously discarded (Gomez).

This is all a plan, right?

It seemed like you were saying it was panic because only now he is getting rid of players he should have discarded earlier.

Most of the new players will be in the extended squad for experience. This is usually happens.

Left back is a problem due to injuries. Think Gomez can play there as well in other places. He'll clearly backup, if selected for final squad.

England have got to be one of the favourites, no doubt about it. If only your lot had a better central defence you would be the favourite. Midfield and attack are as good as it gets for England but You could really do with Ben White being available. Funny how Southgate has not picked Henderson and Deschamp has recalled Kante for France. Euros, Olympics, Tour de France, summer is sorted whatever the weather.