Josh Windass

2 hours ago, Shipley Ram said:

From the wednesday forum

On 01/06/2024 at 11:33, Eaton_Swfc said:

I've heard from a source (Matt Hamshaw) that Derby tried to sign Windass but he's already agreed a deal with Wrexham. 

Due to be announced this week. 

Not started its own thread but from the horses mouth. 

Best of luck luck living in  Wrexham 

So we tried to sign Windass but found that he had already agreed terms with Wrexham?

I’d be surprised if out the teams interested Wrexham would be the best choice, even financially. They’ve been relatively big spenders in comparison to their peers, but I doubt they’re going to have a £20m plus wage bill like us and Wednesday - even half that. 

On 12/05/2024 at 20:22, alram said:

Because it’s how you progress as a club now, the modern game is about athleticism and intensity and you pay for recruitment with player trading unless you’ve got a sugar daddy. 

look at the top 6 in the championship, they all play a similar style and recruit in that age bracket. Now look at the bottom 3 and they are the polar opposite. 

I have zero interest in us signing 30 year olds on frees because it’s obvious what will happen. It should only be done as a worst case scenario, certainly not at the start of the summer.

Now you see that’s interesting as a statement, I think you’re wrong. I agree, I would not be comfortable paying big fees for 30+ players but, would be very happy to get the odd quality 32 year old on a FREE. Everyone needs and earns wages. Their age is unimportant if their ability is useful. The difficult bit is the capital outlay. If it’s a free then the equation is very simple. Is player X at 32 worth his  pay cheque ?. .. it’s a whole different game if the statement is .. is he worth his paycheque and the 500 grand that we will never recoup because he isn’t going to improve and have zero resale due to that and a shortish contract length. Nothing wrong with older players. It’s the balance of cost and contract length. Youth and experience it’s all about the blend/mix/balance/cost. 

20 minutes ago, Sidd10 said:

Play off hopefuls both in for him but he wouldn’t be good enough for us? 

In terms of ability, of course he is. He has always been a technically gifted footballer, but in terms of consistency, fitness and general application throughout his career he has been lacking. The same could’ve seen said about NML when we signed him.

The general consensus is that he doesn’t fit the profile we’re being told that we are after and as a player looking at potentially his last major contract then it has all the ingredients of a bad investment. 

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

In terms of ability, of course he is. He has always been a technically gifted footballer, but in terms of consistency, fitness and general application throughout his career he has been lacking. The same could’ve seen said about NML when we signed him.

The general consensus is that he doesn’t fit the profile we’re being told that we are after and as a player looking at potentially his last major contract then it has all the ingredients of a bad investment. 

Especially with us already having Washington on the books and Collins offered a new contract.

1 hour ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Especially with us already having Washington on the books and Collins offered a new contract.

Windass would be the AM in our 3412. A similar role to Barkhuizen when playing there. His attacking output would be better, but I don't recall him as the pressing type.

11 hours ago, Sidd10 said:

Play off hopefuls both in for him but he wouldn’t be good enough for us? 

I think this is his agent feeding stuff to journalists to try to position him in the market and drum up interest. I will be very annoyed if we go back yet again to Sheffield Wednesday for one of their cast offs. I hope and believe we have younger, more left field, more imaginative targets now

17 hours ago, irobinson said:

Best of luck luck living in  Wrexham 

They would probably say the same about Derby…..not sure we deserve the worst place to live in the UK tag though 😉

6 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

I will be very annoyed if we go back yet again to Sheffield Wednesday for one of their cast offs.

I can save you some annoyance then Gerry, as he's not a cast off, he refused a new contract. 

On 03/06/2024 at 08:30, Gerry Daly said:

I think this is his agent feeding stuff to journalists to try to position him in the market and drum up interest. I will be very annoyed if we go back yet again to Sheffield Wednesday for one of their cast offs. I hope and believe we have younger, more left field, more imaginative targets now

Yep ....exactly this, I'm sure we have bigger, better fish to fry elsewhere and further afield than a dingy Northern town

On 08/06/2024 at 08:36, Donny Ram said:

Looks highly likely he’s staying at Wednesdays after they have tabled a new deal to him, was on the local news up here saying the player and club have reached a deal.

wow GIF No don’t want him

On 02/06/2024 at 18:50, jono said:

Now you see that’s interesting as a statement, I think you’re wrong. I agree, I would not be comfortable paying big fees for 30+ players but, would be very happy to get the odd quality 32 year old on a FREE. Everyone needs and earns wages. Their age is unimportant if their ability is useful. The difficult bit is the capital outlay. If it’s a free then the equation is very simple. Is player X at 32 worth his  pay cheque ?. .. it’s a whole different game if the statement is .. is he worth his paycheque and the 500 grand that we will never recoup because he isn’t going to improve and have zero resale due to that and a shortish contract length. Nothing wrong with older players. It’s the balance of cost and contract length. Youth and experience it’s all about the blend/mix/balance/cost. 

agree completely youth and experience are vital. but we have experience. we need youth.

that is my issue about this whole thing. not that we are signing the odd 30+ year old, its that we have a squad full of them already and the game is so athletic nowadays. 

you are right they are FREE but they will also leave for free. i would rather pay more and invest in a player for 3-4 years that has the ability to grow with the club or earn the club good money.