Josh Windass

5 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

He's played over 150 games at Championship level or above. 

27 goals in 129 games isn't exactly setting the world alight and definitely nowhere the standard of anyone hoping to reestablish themselves in the championship.

5 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

He's played over 150 games at Championship level or above. 

Was going to say similar, think he’s a good player. Certainly has moments of quality. 

same post proclaims Adams and Gayle are, Gayle was released after few lean years in championship and had us or port vale to choose from. Adams not gone on to well at Cardiff and dropped a league on loan.

rate Adams massively and Gayle did a great job for us, just found it a very confused post.

7 hours ago, SK47 said:

Paul Warne said that they have been looking at championship standard players since January in preparation for going up. Josh Windass is not and will not ever be a championship standard player. Ebou Adams/Dwight Gayle for example are.. and I can imagine we will get rid of Waggy and keep Gayle, get rid of Wash and find a new potential replacement for Collo who I imagine won't be our number 1 striker for next season.

I also find this new fascination with 22-28 year olds a bit strange.

is never going to be as simple as we won’t sign anyone outside that age bracket. Of course everyone wants young players that will improve and have huge sell on value. So does every other club in the league.

Just want to see what side we put together to start the season, will have a budget from clowes and let’s see where we get. Loans will be a big part of that, as will experienced players, and hopefully we get some players that improve in value too.

think we all need to stop being accountants at some point and just trust that the club will be well ran

3 hours ago, SK47 said:

27 goals in 129 games isn't exactly setting the world alight and definitely nowhere the standard of anyone hoping to reestablish themselves in the championship.

That's not really the point I made, though I do concede this rumour is not one that fires my imagination massively either. That said, he's not a bad player and I doubt think he'll end up in L1 this season. 

1 hour ago, CapeTownRams said:

We seem to have become obsessed with signing players in the 22-28 age group and with good sell-on credentials…

All well and good, but to me the priority is getting players in who can keep us up/make us competitive and maybe in the second season make a run for promotion…

30 year olds will work just fine- if we go up we build again….

Jim Smith took us up and competitive with some older players…

Champo emphasizes more skill/composure than outright athleticism for 90 mins unlike L1….

The only players to have scored more than 12 goals outside of the 22-28 group this season were: Vardy (18), and Keane (13). Both older than 28.

Only 4 other players outside of 22-28 range scored double figures. One 20 year old and three who're 21.

I think it's fair to say you want the bulk of your squad to be in the 22-28 range, especially main forwards.

Playing attractive winning football with players in the 22-28 range, with academy players in the mix as well is the ideal for any football fan, just think we have to be realistic at the same time.

We may have to look outside of that age range, we may have to look at the managers former players, we may have to sign lower league players in the hope they can step up.

We're not the only Championship club that is on the lookout for talented players at a decent age with resale value, we'll be competing with clubs for the signatures where our budgets cannot stretch to those that have parachute payments for example.

We're also going to be linked with a number of players that Warne hasn't even looked at, linked through the need to bring clicks.

Would be nice to have one summer where fans didn't flip out and go wild over every single player that doesn't fit the ideal criteria we have set. 

4 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

I also find this new fascination with 22-28 year olds a bit strange.

is never going to be as simple as we won’t sign anyone outside that age bracket. Of course everyone wants young players that will improve and have huge sell on value. So does every other club in the league.

Just want to see what side we put together to start the season, will have a budget from clowes and let’s see where we get. Loans will be a big part of that, as will experienced players, and hopefully we get some players that improve in value too.

think we all need to stop being accountants at some point and just trust that the club will be well ran

Because it’s how you progress as a club now, the modern game is about athleticism and intensity and you pay for recruitment with player trading unless you’ve got a sugar daddy. 

look at the top 6 in the championship, they all play a similar style and recruit in that age bracket. Now look at the bottom 3 and they are the polar opposite. 

I have zero interest in us signing 30 year olds on frees because it’s obvious what will happen. It should only be done as a worst case scenario, certainly not at the start of the summer.

1 hour ago, Day said:

We're also going to be linked with a number of players that Warne hasn't even looked at, linked through the need to bring clicks.

Would be nice to have one summer where fans didn't flip out and go wild over every single player that doesn't fit the ideal criteria we have set. 

Drama pooper 🙃

We know the age profile of the first-team squad has been unbalanced since Administration - I'd contend that is an absolute given.

Some moves were made last season to improve it, but resources & restrictions combined to make it something that would take another couple of windows, so I think it's entirely right if the club IS looking more at the 22-28 range than outside of it (bar signings for the U21s etc of course). That doesn't mean that ALL of the signings have to be in this range, but having 13 squad members over the age of 29 as we have at present (at least until the Retained List is published) is probably 5 or 6 more than is desirable for balance. Given that 3 or 4 of the current over 30s are likely to get new contract offers, I don't think there's much space for others brought in from outside.

• 3 weeks later...

From the wednesday forum

On 01/06/2024 at 11:33, Eaton_Swfc said:

I've heard from a source (Matt Hamshaw) that Derby tried to sign Windass but he's already agreed a deal with Wrexham. 

Due to be announced this week. 

Not started its own thread but from the horses mouth. 

21 minutes ago, Shipley Ram said:

From the wednesday forum

I've heard from a source (Matt Hamshaw) that Derby tried to sign Windass but he's already agreed a deal with Wrexham. 

*Agent uses Derbys name to get a bigger wage at Wrexham, thread closed.

1 hour ago, Shipley Ram said:

From the wednesday forum

If true, it would suggest Collins is unlikely to sign