Eurovision 2024

Posted (edited)

Once upon a time I wrote the script for Junior Eurovision for ITV! Music should bring people together not divide them. People shouldn't be hating on a 20 year old young woman for nothing she's done, and I hope she's able to sing her heart out, like all the other competitors.

This year should be about a celebration of ABBA, 50 years on, while jumping around the room to Baby Lasagna who will win the contest by a landslide, deservedly so (maybe with Igor and Aljosa cheering them on):

Edited by Carl Sagan

37 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Once upon a time I wrote the script for Junior Eurovision for ITV! Music should bring people together not divide them. People shouldn't be hating on a 20 year old young woman for nothing she's done, and I hope she's able to sing her heart out, like all the other competitors.

This year should be about a celebration of ABBA, 50 years on, while jumping around the room to Baby Lasagna who will win the contest by a landslide, deservedly so (maybe with Igor and Aljosa cheering them on):

After this afternoon's shenanigans I do wonder if the Dutch will win?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Fill us in. What's been going on? 

He has not been allowed to perform in the dress rehearsals today. The rumour is that a member of Israeli team mocked his parents who died when he was a child. He is alleged to have hit one of them.

If he stays in the competition I wonder if he gets the sympathy vote?

If he is kicked out I wonder if any other acts threaten to quit?

Edited by therealhantsram

I went to one of the semi finals at Eurovision in Liverpool last year. It was brilliant. I’ve never seen so many sequins before. Had great seats. Spent a night in the Eurovision village and saw the Lightening Seeds, local acts and some djs. Met Richie Anderson from Strictly. My favourite act last year was Belgium. Will be having a some tapas and a bottle of wine while watching it from the sofa this year. 

13 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

He has not been allowed to perform in the dress rehearsals today. The rumour is that a member of Israeli team mocked his parents who died when he was a child. He is alleged to have hit one of them.

What's the source of the rumour? It seems very relevant.

Accused by a female member of the production crew of inappropriate behavior, whatever that means and then the accusation is treated by EBU as proven who then ban Joost from further participation.

What happens if in the legal process Joost is found innocent of the charges against him, I wonder.

On 10/05/2024 at 08:25, Anag Ram said:

Eurovision has risen in popularity over the years. Millions of people like it across many countries. It’s not my cup of tea but if it brings joy to that many people, I can’t see how it’s a bad thing.

I'm not sure joy is perhaps what it brings people. Maybe being spoonfed gruel is a relative joy, but perhaps they would really love something they don't know exists.

2 hours ago, ramit said:

What happens if in the legal process Joost is found innocent of the charges against him, I wonder.

I think they say "it's just a singing competition. He are 14 euros compensation from future predicted earnings if you had been allowed to complete."

19 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

This is the main story on Radio 5 news headlines at half time! Total joke.

As anyone already voted. Apparently the new voting system allows people to vote before the song is even performed.

Which will probably not make an iota of difference to the result. We'll get the usual Sweden and Norway voting for each other, the same with Greece and Cyprus and the UK voting for Ireland. These are just a few of the countries that will always vote for their neighbours irrelevant of how good or bad the song.

10 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

As anyone already voted. Apparently the new voting system allows people to vote before the song is even performed.

Which will probably not make an iota of difference to the result. We'll get the usual Sweden and Norway voting for each other, the same with Greece and Cyprus and the UK voting for Ireland. These are just a few of the countries that will always vote for their neighbours irrelevant of how good or bad the song.

It's not really countries voting for the neighbours though as such....it's migrant populations voting for their home country. Except the Greece-Cyprus thing....   And people in N.Ireland can vote for Ireland. 

That's why Russia was such a good bet for the win before they were kicked out...they have populations is so many other Eastern European countries.