The Athletic coverage

Now we're back in the "big time", will we be getting a dedicated reporter again for The Athletic paper?

I seem to recall we only "lost" our reporter as we were relegated and league one teams weren't deemed worthy enough. We had the excellent Ryan Conway then the replacement younger lad whose name escapes me. 

I subscribed on their website when we had one but cancelled when they weren't bothered about us. Always top class articles without the death trap of adverts that litter the DET website.

It would be brilliant to get Ryan Conway back again as he seemed to really get involved fully with the club. He has an excellent book out on us, Pride Before The Fall, if anyone hasn't read it. 

I hope we get a dedicated reporter again. It would probably be enough for me to subscribe again. It would be really good if Ryan Conway covered us again, as I was a big fan of his journalism. It was really good how he got involved with the club and I always tuned into his livestreams.

4 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I always enjoyed Ryan Conway's stuff - it helped that he wasn't a blind faith Derby fan, so his angle was always balanced.

I know that some people took a dislike to him for some reason. 

He was also very vocal about calling out racist abuse in the game. 🔗

Reckon he's a fan now though haha. He still regularly tweets about it and you could tell he was thrilled about promotion.

25 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Now we're back in the "big time", will we be getting a dedicated reporter again for The Athletic paper?

I seem to recall we only "lost" our reporter as we were relegated and league one teams weren't deemed worthy enough. We had the excellent Ryan Conway then the replacement younger lad whose name escapes me. 

I subscribed on their website when we had one but cancelled when they weren't bothered about us. Always top class articles without the death trap of adverts that litter the DET website.

It would be brilliant to get Ryan Conway back again as he seemed to really get involved fully with the club. He has an excellent book out on us, Pride Before The Fall, if anyone hasn't read it. 

I use Adblock so never see any of those nasty ads 

Would re-subscribe if the prices were more reasonable, but I don't like how they hook you in on a cheap deal and then double or triple it without telling you.

There's such a lot of good free content out there, I think they rather over-value their product.

32 minutes ago, angieram said:

Would re-subscribe if the prices were more reasonable, but I don't like how they hook you in on a cheap deal and then double or triple it without telling you.

There's such a lot of good free content out there, I think they rather over-value their product.

I would agree with this. Not sure it’s worth it for the price it currently sits at. 

Also can’t say I would be particularly glad to see the return of Conway, either. Still haven’t forgiven him for that ridiculous Rooney article!

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think it’s good value if you’re interested in the Premier League, national team and beyond. But not if you’re only subscribing for Derby.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

7 hours ago, angieram said:

I find it useful to subscribe to the New York Times for work, which is only £25 a year. And unexpectedly came with access to the Athletic. This was an intro annual offer, but when it came up for renewal I was leaving, so they gave the same deal again. 

11 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

The missus bought me the book for Christmas but I hadn’t picked it up until we have gone on holiday. I’m halfway through and it’s quite a good insight into Frank Lampard and Philip Cocu’s management styles. Sounds like neither liked to dish out a bollocking which it sounded like would have made players more accountable.

Elias Burke took over from Ryan, he left to report on West Brom, and he’s a West Brom fan so probably would’ve moved on regardless of our league status.

Ryan Conway was great, an Arsenal fan who really invested himself into Derby as a club and a city. Pretty sure he even moved to Derby for the role?

He left due to some MH struggles, but has still produced some great Derby content, including books. It would be brilliant if he did come back.

On 03/05/2024 at 18:37, angieram said:

If you threaten to leave, they make it cheaper again.

I use it for more than just Derby though, as they're quite in depth about the handegg in the USofA.

On 03/05/2024 at 19:11, Nuwtfly said:

I would agree with this. Not sure it’s worth it for the price it currently sits at. 

Also can’t say I would be particularly glad to see the return of Conway, either. Still haven’t forgiven him for that ridiculous Rooney article!

I typically wait for one of their deals then cancel it before it goes up.

Not graced the Athletic with a visit for ages. Had a look when it started but there were far too many articles lifted from the club site or elsewhere and reworded without dcfc or whichever site it had been blagged from being quoted as the source. Lots of made up stuff littered with could, would, should, ifs buts and maybes for my liking and a distinct lack of real news.

Has it changed? Don't know, don't care. I trust dcfc.co.uk and the rest can do one, in all honesty.

I think they have made quite a few cutbacks after being bought by the NYT. Think we would be very lucky to get a dedicated reporter particularly if things are going to be a bit more stable.

I could see why we might have been more interesting previously with the ‘star names’ and drama of the last time we were in the championship.

39 minutes ago, BatRam said:

why would you bother with The Athletic. Everything they do is available for free? 

If those that subscribe, didn’t, there wouldn’t be The Athletic available for anyone.

1 hour ago, BatRam said:

why would you bother with The Athletic. Everything they do is available for free? 

I don’t think that’s true at all? I’ve just looked and it’s told me to subscribe. Can’t even click “keep reading” or anything.