Blackett-Taylor

Since Saturday I've been looking at some of the statistics from the players this year and some of CBT look quite impressive over the course of the season (including the first half before joining us. While he's shown the occasional glimpse of what he could do, I think it's fair to say he hasn't performed to the levels we (and probably himself) expected. This may well be down to joining while injured and taking time to settle in.

Anyway onto the statistics I was on about. I noticed that he actually did better than NML in a lot of statistics relating to attacking players. One of these being successful dribbles, where CBT averaged 60% of dribbles being successful. NML was marginally behind averaging 47% being successful. His accuracy of passing is what stood out to me 81% ending up with a teammate, which was the best out of all the players to have been involved with us in L1 this season. He was also second in the team with his passing accuracy in the opponents half, with 73% of passes being successful, being behind Nyambe. His crossing was also quite good with a third of crosses being won by teammates. This was only bettered by Barkhuizen, Fornah? and Korey Smith?.

While most of this potentially came from his time with Charlton, it at least gives an indication of what he could potentially do once he's had a full pre-season with us and hopefully settled in. 

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

Next season is, indeed, the time to pass judgment on CBT. Arrived injured, looked it, improved and that showed as well, then his injury flared up (or was it a different one?) and he didn't shine.

Get better, get fit, get a full pre season in him and, hopefully, we'll get the player we thought and hoped we were.

Worth mentioning the move from London to Derby is also a massive one. Football aside, it's a massive upheaval to leave behind friends and home to work elsewhere. Done it myself plenty, and it's not easy. We've seen it plenty, some people fit in right away like Adams, some might take more time to settle. Some might not settle at all.

I hope he finds his feet. He's the type of player you really don't want to come up against. So I'm glad he's ours.

3 hours ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

Since Saturday I've been looking at some of the statistics from the players this year and some of CBT look quite impressive over the course of the season (including the first half before joining us. While he's shown the occasional glimpse of what he could do, I think it's fair to say he hasn't performed to the levels we (and probably himself) expected. This may well be down to joining while injured and taking time to settle in.

Anyway onto the statistics I was on about. I noticed that he actually did better than NML in a lot of statistics relating to attacking players. One of these being successful dribbles, where CBT averaged 60% of dribbles being successful. NML was marginally behind averaging 47% being successful. His accuracy of passing is what stood out to me 81% ending up with a teammate, which was the best out of all the players to have been involved with us in L1 this season. He was also second in the team with his passing accuracy in the opponents half, with 73% of passes being successful, being behind Nyambe. His crossing was also quite good with a third of crosses being won by teammates. This was only bettered by Barkhuizen, Fornah? and Korey Smith?.

While most of this potentially came from his time with Charlton, it at least gives an indication of what he could potentially do once he's had a full pre-season with us and hopefully settled in. 

The Portsmouth game gave us all a glimpse of what he's clearly capable of. Let's hope we see it more often next season with a full pre-season and settling in period under his belt. NML & CBT will give us some explosive threat on the counter-attack.

6 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Worth mentioning the move from London to Derby is also a massive one. Football aside, it's a massive upheaval to leave behind friends and home to work elsewhere. Done it myself plenty, and it's not easy. We've seen it plenty, some people fit in right away like Adams, some might take more time to settle. Some might not settle at all.

I hope he finds his feet. He's the type of player you really don't want to come up against. So I'm glad he's ours.

I think the move was a bit of a culture shock. Not just location but a new group of players and a focus on fitness and hard work.

Winning promotion and celebrating together should help him fit in and he has a summer with Sergeants Warne and Barker to look forward to.

If he comes out stronger, fitter and feeling loved, we may have a bit of a gem.

4 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Hope he finds his feet too but it wasn’t really a big upheaval; he grew up in Birmingham, born in Erdington, part of the Villa academy.

A full pre season and build his fitness, he could just shine but I think we need to be patient with him. If he starts flat and doesn’t impress, my concern would be he’ll struggle even more, because I think he might be a confidence player. The type that is brilliant in the grove but gets worse with every mistake. Honestly feel Warne has tried to protect him, as he knew he wasn’t fully fit.

15 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Agree about the move from London. After the hustle and bustle, and the bright lights of London, his first wander into our city centre would be one hell of a blow! It's a dump, especially the Victoria Street area! No wonder he seemed to lose his way!

With the exception of Adams who just clicked instantly, every single one of the players Warne signed or inherited improved after six months or so of getting used to what he demands from them. I know people like to joke that his a PE teacher or a fitness coach, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a massive physical shock to CBT. A full pre season, hopefully injury free, and I'd bet on him hitting the ground running next season. Him and NML either side of a powerful striker who can hold up the ball and win the aerial duels will be a thing to see next season.

17 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Agree about the move from London. After the hustle and bustle, and the bright lights of London, his first wander into our city centre would be one hell of a blow! It's a dump, especially the Victoria Street area! No wonder he seemed to lose his way!

Give me a break. It's not like he's moving country. He's still speaking the same language, with the same weather , same food , same music and TV. This is no excuse for a professional in any career. Can't imagine telling my boss I'm doing a crap job because I'm living a whole 2 hours away from where I previously lived.

57 minutes ago, Carnero said:

The Portsmouth game gave us all a glimpse of what he's clearly capable of. Let's hope we see it more often next season with a full pre-season and settling in period under his belt. NML & CBT will give us some explosive threat on the counter-attack.

I hope that Portsmouth game gives us a glimpse of what to expect next season. This season I’ve found myself frustrated with the way we’ve played, but I could really see what the team was trying to do in that game. All being well it will be more effective next season with teams trying to beat us, as opposed to holding on.

56 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Hope he finds his feet too but it wasn’t really a big upheaval; he grew up in Birmingham, born in Erdington, part of the Villa academy.

A full pre season and build his fitness, he could just shine but I think we need to be patient with him. If he starts flat and doesn’t impress, my concern would be he’ll struggle even more, because I think he might be a confidence player. The type that is brilliant in the grove but gets worse with every mistake. Honestly feel Warne has tried to protect him, as he knew he wasn’t fully fit.

Ah, then if anything he's moved closer to home. I suppose I'm trying to invent reasons he might not have had the best start, as I'm desperate for him to be good for us.

Agree about the fitness. It's a cliche, but he'll be like a new signing with a decent pre-season under his belt.

2 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

In truth Dave, he grew up in West Greenwich, near the border with Deptford which, although more like a mini-Hoxton now was, for most of Ebou's childhood and youth, a run-down, deprived area used for most of the last century as a dumping ground for every fresh immigrant community - Irish->Caribbean->African->Vietnamese. So he'll be well used to "run-down" areas (as well as the rich history of Deptford/Greenwich and, yes, London's bright lights) and he may appreciate bringing his kids up somewhere away from postcode gangs and random violence, because he seems like a family man at heart, not a gangsta.

Was just starting to go through the gears and then he missed that sitter at Wycombe. The fact we drew and at the time it looked a costly error probably didn’t do him any favours. 

Then he fell out the team and the nature of the rest of the matches meant he hardly got a kick. 

Clean slate for next season and hopefully he can do a job in some capacity.

17 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Was just starting to go through the gears and then he missed that sitter at Wycombe. The fact we drew and at the time it looked a costly error probably didn’t do him any favours. 

Then he fell out the team and the nature of the rest of the matches meant he hardly got a kick. 

Clean slate for next season and hopefully he can do a job in some capacity.

And what a miss it was 😎

What was out worst miss in the season ? Waggy pushes for the top as does Collo ..😊 Some real clangers in there 😂

20 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Yeah, but they don't have Birds bakery in London. No West End nightclub will bring more pleasure than two vanilla slices and an elephants foot.

20 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

Ah, then if anything he's moved closer to home. I suppose I'm trying to invent reasons he might not have had the best start, as I'm desperate for him to be good for us.

Agree about the fitness. It's a cliche, but he'll be like a new signing with a decent pre-season under his belt.

I think you make a good point. Some players settle quickly and some not so much and I think there are valid reasons for him not having been at his best in a handful of outings for us.

Folk can compare their working life to that of professional athletes, but football isn't a process and intangibles like form, health / fitness and confidence are all key. There's a lot more 'moving parts' in play for CBT and his peers than in a more conventional career and that's before you take into account the expectations of a large and quite demanding fanbase, which brings its own pressure. Caveats notwithstanding, I do think we'll see a fitter and more confident player next year and hopefully quite an exciting one too.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Yeah, but they don't have Birds bakery in London. No West End nightclub will bring more pleasure than two vanilla slices and an elephants foot.

I hope you are not forgetting the Caramel Doughnut, are you? Or those fabulous cheese and tomato cobs?

7 hours ago, CapeTownRams said:

And what a miss it was 😎

What was out worst miss in the season ? Waggy pushes for the top as does Collo ..😊 Some real clangers in there 😂

Every team has glaring misses during a season - the better sides just less of them.