Games That Aren't Talked About Enough

22 minutes ago, nottingram said:

One thing about Clough is you knew he’d get us right up for games like that Newcastle one. See also the voodoo we had over Forest and Leeds at the time.

Remember a 2-1 win away at Leeds when Bucko scored a last minute winner. Think we had a penalty which Sammon took for some reason and he even managed to mishit that, but Coutts scored the rebound.

Think there was another away win there which I’m certain was in the league but for some reason was live on BBC, in the Bueno season, but before he’d arrived. Possibly the first game of the season.

Which was the L**ds game where he took them off the coach before the ground and made us walk in?

But yeah the Mac1 4-4 bloody unbelievable!

21 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Does anyone remember a game at the BBG in the early 80s - midweek, probably a Wednesday- not too many there, about 10,000, possibly against Shrewsbury but maybe not…however there was a big storm with wind howling around the Ley Stand.  The big metal loudspeakers which used to hang down from the top of the stand were blowing all over the place. It was mad because they were huge big chunks of metal. People underneath them were moved then one came loose from its cable, falling and destroying multiple seats-smashing them to pieces. If anyone had been sitting underneath they would have been killed instantly. Always stayed with me that one. If we hadn’t been completely crap for years and had a full house people would have died. Tommy Docherty inadvertently helped save the lives of a few people that day. 

Think it was Shrewsbury. Lashed it down. I was in the Normo end. Swindlehurst scored a cracker

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Which was the L**ds game where he took them off the coach before the ground and made us walk in?

But yeah the Mac1 4-4 bloody unbelievable!

That was the first match on his own for my middle son, and he bought a season ticket on the back of it!

1988 Derby 4-2 Wimbledon: Deano’s debut. Nuff said

1996 Derby - Man Utd 1:  Laursen’s stunning free kick.  And Igor putting on a clinic, man-marking the reigning FWA player of the season Eric Cantona out of the game.  Kung Fu Eric didn’t get a sniff.

2010 Derby 3-0 Preston: The height of that purple patch with Kuqi upfront and Alberto Bueano running riot.  Really thought Nigel had finally unlocked the potential that day

2022 Derby 1-0 Oxford:  Not a great game, but I’m sure that I wasn’t the only one in the crowd that shed a tear or two from the relief & joy at the fact we still had a football club to support

April 1968, Derby 4 QPR 0, a Baseball Ground romp against first division bound Rodney Marsh and Co that told the Derby public that something big was brewing.

11 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Stoke 0 Derby 1 League Cup Quarter-Final December 2008 against Tony Pulis' giants in the freezing unfinished Britannia Stadium. 5,000 Derby fans roared on a tremendous defensive display rewarded with a last minute penalty in front of us. Pure, unadulterated joy.

Paul Jewell's finest (only?) moment.

On 02/05/2024 at 07:02, Kathcairns said:

Would loved to have seen him having a smoke during the match.

Cant get the picture  out of my mind of the dads in the 50/60's leaning on their door frames, fag hanging out, watching the kids playing football in the street. Prob my wierd sense of humour🤣😂🤣

4 hours ago, Kathcairns said:

Cant get the picture  out of my mind of the dads in the 50/60's leaning on their door frames, fag hanging out, watching the kids playing football in the street. Prob my wierd sense of humour🤣😂🤣

One of my mates' Dads had an uncanny ability to talk with a fag in his gob. Never dropped a single one in my sight.

On 02/05/2024 at 16:36, HorsforthRam said:

Couple of games… the one where Liverpool were on some sort of record run and Mickey Forsyth equalised to make it 1-1 and Liverpool nearly collapsed under the atmosphere; last match for King Kev, scored the winner against a promoted Watford, 3-2

Loved Bruce’s equaliser against Liverpool. They spent most of the game passing it back to the goalkeeper (who could pick it up in those days kids) leading to much infuriation. Celebrated that goal like a demented banshee. They became terrified of losing the record. If they had just gone for us they would probably have won 4-0. I can still picture that goal to this day. One of my favourite ever in what was effectively a meaningless game for us. 

On 02/05/2024 at 16:30, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

Derby 3 Everton 2. Goddard chipped Southall with Bobby Robson watching on.

Why he then didn't get a call up after that wonder-goal, I'll never know

God that side was something else 

and that chip

made .. to .. measure 

pure class 

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

One of my mates' Dads had an uncanny ability to talk with a fag in his gob. Never dropped a single one in my sight.

Its just that i can see reg leaning on the goalpost puffing away watching the play down the other end, just like the dads.🤣😂

32 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Loved Bruce’s equaliser against Liverpool. They spent most of the game passing it back to the goalkeeper (who could pick it up in those days kids) leading to much infuriation. Celebrated that goal like a demented banshee. They became terrified of losing the record. If they had just gone for us they would probably have won 4-0. I can still picture that goal to this day. One of my favourite ever in what was effectively a meaningless game for us. 

Think that was the game Mickey Lewis kicked Steve McMahon from pillar to post and McMahon spent most of the game crying to the referee

13 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Think that was the game Mickey Lewis kicked Steve McMahon from pillar to post and McMahon spent most of the game crying to the referee

I think you are right. I think there was one particular challenge that was pretty…agricultural shall we say … which McMahon rightly got a bit annoyed about. He was always quite happy dishing it out though so did him.

13 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

I think it was more McMahon left his foot in to try and bully Mickey, but Mickey didn't back down and McMahon hurt himself. Mickey did give John Barnes a kick or two in that game.

10 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I think you are right. I think there was one particular challenge that was pretty…agricultural shall we say … which McMahon rightly got a bit annoyed about. He was always quite happy dishing it out though so did him.

I had to check my memory wasn't playing up, it think this is the challange.

But Barnes wasn't so happy with this