Who could continue the journey?

sage

Out of our current squad, who would be good enough to establish themselves as a  championship regular in a upper half team or maybe be a decent be.ch player.

Could anyone still play if we got promoted to the Premier League?

4 minutes ago, YouRams said:

For the championship Cash, Nelson, Ward, Smith, Adams, NML, CBT.

Bench Barks, Sibs, Thompson.

Prems too far away would have to see how they'd get on in the Champ first.

I would imagine on age alone, Nelson, Smith and NML wouldn't be part of the ultimate journey.

18 minutes ago, sage said:

I would imagine on age alone, Nelson, Smith and NML wouldn't be part of the ultimate journey.

NML might be ok off the bench on the right wing in the champ. Barks would be on the bench imo

i feel Nelson could be useful at CB, also dare I say it Fozzy if his injury is overcome. 

the type of player he is, I agree Smith might struggle next season if we go up. But he’s got a very important part to play alongside Adams for these last few games 

Yes, Ward, Wilson, Cash, CBT could comfortably thrive in the championship in the right set up  maybe Nyambe too

We have only one player who could survive in the PL and he’s a goalie 

29 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I agree. And YouRams forgot Wilson. I would also add Rooney into the mix. And Wildsmith if he stays. 

Yeah my bad not sure how I forgot Wilson he's been great this season, think he'll keep getting better.

59 minutes ago, sage said:

Out of our current squad, who would be good enough to establish themselves as a  championship regular in a upper half team or maybe be a decent be.ch player.

Could anyone still play if we got promoted to the Premier League?

Wildsmith

cashin 

nelson 

wilson 

nyambe 

adams 

NML

CBT

maybe smith 

Collins 

1 minute ago, simmoram1995 said:

Wildsmith

cashin 

nelson 

wilson 

nyambe 

adams 

NML

CBT

maybe smith 

Collins 

As starters or squad players? In a top half championship team?

34 minutes ago, YouRams said:

For the championship Cash, Nelson, Ward, Smith, Adams, NML, CBT.

Bench Barks, Sibs, Thompson.

Prems too far away would have to see how they'd get on in the Champ first.

I mostly agree with this.

First team: Sibs, Nyambe, Cash, Nelson, NML, Gayle

Rotation: Vickers (only one of the keepers is needed and due to his contract, Josh keeps the place), Rooney, Bradley, Elder, Smith, Thommo, Barks, Wilson, CBT, Collins

Huge question marks: TJJ, Fornah, Robinsons & other youngsters

Back-up players & coaches: Loach, Fozzy

Like the rest of us, I'd love Adams to be part of our new-look midfield next season.

Adams and half a dozen new first-teamers and we could give a go for play-offs.

I'm not sure if any of our players are ready for PL. Nelson and Cashin would give it a good go if we played with a low defensive line. I have no idea how good player-coach Loach is but depending on his role, he might  be closest! 🙂 

To survive in season 1: 

Assume he goes with 3 at the back. 

Starting 11: 

New 

Nyambe Nelson Cashin 

Wilson   Adams*   New    New 

NML   New   CBT 

Squad:
GK:          Vickers New

CB:       Rooney New New 

WB:     Ward.   Elder 

CM:   New Thompson 

Attack (wide):    Bark New New 

Attack (central): New Collins 

Squad of 25. Assuming 5 are out injured/suspended at any 1 time. Leaves a squad of 20 (match day 19+ third keeper).  

I think 4/5 new string signings straight into the starting 11 with another 4/5 into the squad would put us in an okay place for consolidation and staying up without breaking the spirit of the group that could take us there if we get up. 

49 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

Oh just re-read it tbh non of them at the moment are good enough 

Nelson has had a cracking season for us . But last time he was in the Championship - he got relegated. It will all depend on the quality of the 7/8 players we bring in . They can help the ones we have . Incoming -Most likely to be freebies , but without a proven Championship goalscorer ( who can stay fit ) it would be tough going . Most potential to step up - Wilson . 

Can’t believe how downbeat some are about the chances of some of the players stepping up. 

Think pointing to Nelson getting relegated ignores who he was paired with at the back - with Cashin (a year more experienced) he’s a calm head and a good leader at the back.

Marshall and Byrne were both relegated before we signed them 👀 turned out to be pretty good for us.  

Very hard to call potential to play in the Prem given we're still a 3rd tier club & the absolute chasm in class. That said, players can surprise with making the step up - Bournemouth's first promotion team & Swansea both contained players from their League One (and League Two) promotion teams. Believe Pelly Mpanzu for Luton has played for them from Conference all the way to the Prem too.

I'd be confident that Cashin & Blackett-Taylor could make the grade as regulars in a top half Championship side. I suspect Ward & Sibley would also be effective but only in certain positions - Ward as a wide midfielder/right wing back given the quality of his delivery & Sibley as a left wing back with his direct style & game changing ability. I'm struggling thereafter although Mendez-Laing would still cause problems in the division above as would Gayle.

Of the remainder, I'm sure players like Nelson, Forsyth, Korey Smith, Elder, Barkhuizen, Thompson & Wilson could do a job as bottom half Championship players but feel unlikely to develop beyond that due to age or lack of physique/technical class to offset that. Both Wildsmith & Vickers would also be competent at the level above but again nothing more. The biggest holes in potential we have are in central midfield & up front - losing Max Bird was a massive blow as he would definitely fit into a top 10 Championship side & we desperately need a similar type conductor of play. Can't quite make my mind up about Ebou Adams - obviously not our player anyway but whilst he looks a million dollars in League One, I suspect the technical demands of the top half of Championship would blunt his effectiveness. I also think we have a batch of forwards who would barely reach bottom half Championship standard (with exception of Gayle)

In short, a lot of work needed in the summer to inject some youthful potential to the squad & a bit of class in midfield/forward areas. The club also need to be strong in buying promising players from lower divisions/foreign leagues with potential to improve & resale value rather than older players with 'Championship experience' and no resale potential. My instinct is Warne would prefer the latter but the former would equip us better to develop into a top half Championship team in a couple of seasons & achieve sustainability as a club.

Edited by LeedsCityRam