Who could continue the journey?

sage

Probably a silly question but I’m still getting back into football and learning. Are players like Adams reluctant to sign a contract (putting aside pay details etc) because they want to know if Derby will be in the championship first? If not, they are on the lookout for offers from championship clubs. I appreciate everyone is always open to better deals. 

16 minutes ago, B4’s Sister said:

Probably a silly question but I’m still getting back into football and learning. Are players like Adams reluctant to sign a contract (putting aside pay details etc) because they want to know if Derby will be in the championship first? If not, they are on the lookout for offers from championship clubs. I appreciate everyone is always open to better deals. 

There are 4 motivations

Length of contract x weekly wage

Level to play at

Geography 

Happy with club, teammates and coach

On that basis, if Geography works, I think he would come from Cardiff, if we go up and a fee is agreed.

Lots to fall into place.

Players who may make it in the Championship  (to varying degrees) 

Wildsmith 

Cashin 

Nelson 

Nyambe 

Ward 

Wilson 

Adams (not our player) 

Smith 

Sibley 

Tommo 

CBT 

Barks 

NML 

Brown 

Gayle 

Premier League is a different conversation depending on development etc but having seen some of the players plying their trade in the premier league at the moment then potentially - 

Cash 

Nyambe

Wilson

Adams 

Sibley 

Tommo 

CBT 

Brown 

49 minutes ago, sage said:

There are 4 motivations

Length of contract x weekly wage

Level to play at

Geography 

Happy with club, teammates and coach

On that basis, if Geography works, I think he would come from Cardiff, if we go up and a fee is agreed.

Lots to fall into place.

Referring back to the fans forum, Warne said he was a Cardiff player and it was unlikely that we would sign him, (not impossible though).

2 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Referring back to the fans forum, Warne said he was a Cardiff player and it was unlikely that we would sign him, (not impossible though).

Things can change, especially if we go up. I think the key thing to remember is not to get hung up on him specifically when we're doing deals in the summer. I'd love us to sign him and if there is a deal to be done we can hopefully do it, but if not, he's made a huge contribution as a loan player and we'll have happy memories of him, and hopefully he will of us (certainly seems he's enjoying his time here).

I think players who could be very good in the championship and be in top half teams are as follows:

Cashin, Nelson, Nyambe, Wilson, Mendez-Laing, Blackett-Taylor, Gayle. Of these I think Cash could go on to play in the prem, think Nelson, Nyambe, Wilson would also do as squad players if we got there, too early to say about CBT. I really rate Nelson he’s been the surprise of the season and think he could be one of the better centre backs in the champ next season. 

As for the rest of them, think Wildsmith Bradley Elder Ward Thommo (he could possibly go into the first category) Sibs will be ok squad players next season, possibly Barks but the rest I feel need to be moved on. Brown could be a factor, if not immediately then second half of the season after another loan spell. 

So in summary work needed but think we will definitely see younger players with potential signed next season as we will have no additional restrictions now. 

Edited by BramcoteRam84

Adams won't be signing, Warne has pretty much said that.

Wildsmith is not signing a new contract (at the moment)

Cashin will be sold 100% to make funds for incoming players.

My picks for champ would be

CBT, Nelson, Ward, Wilson, Sibley, Nyambe, Elder, Thommo, NML.

Picks for Prem....errrmmm. No one

Sticking purely to a hypothetical championship season next year (so I'm only taking ages into account a small amount), we wouldn't want the squad to be turned over too massively yet again so those who could do a job on the pitch (starting or rotation or depth): 

Vickers

Nyambe

Ward

Wilson

Elder (when fit)

Sibs

Nelson

Cash

Smith

Tommo

NML

Barks

Collo

CBT

Gayle?

Could but won't:

Adams

Wildsmith

Bird

Want around regardless of playtime:

Fozzy

Loads for the future in the longer term. I still think that squad with a few quality additions could reach mid table, just means a few starters would become good back-ups 

On 06/04/2024 at 08:00, sage said:

Out of our current squad, who would be good enough to establish themselves as a  championship regular in a upper half team or maybe be a decent be.ch player.

Could anyone still play if we got promoted to the Premier League?

Let's get promoted first 

Walk

Before 

We run 

I'd go with these for the championship:

Wildsmith - I'd give him a chance given how well he's played in L1, but he'd need to cut out his unenforced errors

Wilson - looked good this season, so hopefully it will be less of a jump up in quality into the championship for him than last time

Forsyth - been solid this season, but we'll need to start looking at a replacement for him for future seasons

Cashin - not much needs to be said here

Collins - key player for us this season, but id like to see a consistent goalscorer alongside him

NML - one of the players of this season

Smith - handy fringe player

Thompson - handy back up with room for development

Sibley - handy fringe player and could potentially up his value if we are to sell him

Ward - doing alright atm

Nyambe - solid rb

Gayle - potential goalscorer

CBT - were starting to see why we signed him now

Adams - just what we need in cm

Nelson - solid at the back

I think there have been some optimistic answers to my question. In terms of starting regularly for a top half (7th to 12th) championship team, we only really have Cashin as a long term prospect. 

There is probably another season in NML, Nyambe and Nelson before they become bench/squad players at that level.

Adams (if signed), Barkhuizen, Ward, Wilson, Collins, Gayle, Wildsmith, Fozzy and Elder could all be bench/squad players at that level.

Tommo, Sibley, Vickers and CBT would all be bench/squad players in a bottom half (13th to 18th) team.

We need 6 good players not to be involved in a relegation scrap next season and maybe 10 to be a top half team.

I think around two thirds of the current squad could do a decent job in the Championship - there's not the same step up for the best League One teams as there is from Championship to Premier League, as Ipswich have shown this season.

The key to doing well for me is bringing in greater quality in a few key positions - in particular, a midfield general and a striker who is going to get 20 goals. Easier said than done I know!

39 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

I think around two thirds of the current squad could do a decent job in the Championship - there's not the same step up for the best League One teams as there is from Championship to Premier League, as Ipswich have shown this season.

The key to doing well for me is bringing in greater quality in a few key positions - in particular, a midfield general and a striker who is going to get 20 goals. Easier said than done I know!

Ipswich spent big for League One and have signed double figures players since being promoted.

20 hours ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

I'd go with these for the championship:

Wildsmith - I'd give him a chance given how well he's played in L1, but he'd need to cut out his unenforced errors

Wilson - looked good this season, so hopefully it will be less of a jump up in quality into the championship for him than last time

Forsyth - been solid this season, but we'll need to start looking at a replacement for him for future seasons

Cashin - not much needs to be said here

Collins - key player for us this season, but id like to see a consistent goalscorer alongside him

NML - one of the players of this season

Smith - handy fringe playeror

Thompson - handy back up with room for development

Sibley - handy fringe player and could potentially up his value if we are to sell him

Ward - doing alright atm

Nyambe - solid rb

Gayle - potential goalscorer

CBT - were starting to see why we signed him now

Adams - just what we need in cm

Nelson - solid at the back

So pretty much off of them😆 Individually some of them will be good enough - and they had better be because some of them will still be here. But collectively they are no where near good enough for the Championship. From that list we need to replace Forsyth, Collins, Smith, Thompson, Sibley, Ward and Gayle as a minimum. We might need a new keeper too and we may not have Adams. I wouldn't bet big money on NML staying fit and playing as many games in the future either. So we need to be prepared for big changes

17 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

So pretty much off of them😆 Individually some of them will be good enough - and they had better be because some of them will still be here. But collectively they are no where near good enough for the Championship. From that list we need to replace Forsyth, Collins, Smith, Thompson, Sibley, Ward and Gayle as a minimum. We might need a new keeper too and we may not have Adams. I wouldn't bet big money on NML staying fit and playing as many games in the future either. So we need to be prepared for big changes

You don't think Ward is capable of playing in the Championship based on his recent form?

48 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I didn't say they will all be starters, just that I would have them in my squad. In my opinion we have more chance of staying up if we get into the championship by keeping the players I named and utilising them as fringe players (while focusing on recruiting 1st team starter quality), rather than having a complete rebuild.

If we spend time looking at a back up players; we may well lose out on players who would be regular starters.

Bit of a nerdy one from me here. Using the Pythagorean Winning Percentage formula, we should have finished this season with 36 wins, which can't happen now. This suggests that the team has underperformed this season.

If we are to go up this season, by applying the performance moderations from teams going up into the championship in their first season up, we should hypothetically win 20 games with the squad we have. 

Looking at recruitment from a purely statistical point of view, we would be better off recruiting pure starters. For example, a 20 goal a season striker, a 10/15 assist a season playmaker or an 8/10 a game defender or goalkeeper.

2 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

You don't think Ward is capable of playing in the Championship based on his recent form?

On his recent form which is about 3 games. What about his previous form? Everyone is capable of playing in the Championship but the issue is playing well. Playing at a level to get us comfortable first season as a minimum. I think Wards level is shown by the fact that he was available on a free transfer from a third division club at 27 years of age. We need to improve