Who could continue the journey?

sage

I think the players we have are good enough for champ. A few new additions and I think we’ll look decent. Got to remember even when we was in champ we struggled against garbage teams at the bottom that were league 1 standard but we flourished against good teams playing good football. 

Seen on X, the 12 players out of contract. If we went up who would you sign on. 

-Liam Thompson 2 years + 1 year op
- Louie Sibley 2 years + 1 year op
- Martyn Waghorn
- Dwight Gayle 1 year as 3rd/4th choice
- Joe Wildsmith 3 years 
- Conor Hourihane not a chance 
- Korey Smith 1 year for depth
- Craig Forsyth 1 year for depth and he’s a legend 
- James Collins love him and he works so hard but he’s already not the best at L1 level nvm championship
- Scott Loach get a young lad as third choice 
- Darren Robinson 3 year + 1 year op and get him out on loan 
- Tom Barkhuizen 1 year + 1 year op for depth and see if he can still play at championship level

53 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

- Martyn Waghorn
- Joe Wildsmith 3 years 
- James Collins love him and he works so hard but he’s already not the best at L1 level nvm championship
- Tom Barkhuizen 1 year + 1 year op for depth and see if he can still play at championship level

Copying and then adapting the post:

- Liam Thompson  1 year + 1 year op
- Martyn Waghorn
- Dwight Gayle 1 year
- Joe Wildsmith 2 years + 1 year op 
- Conor Hourihane
- Korey Smith 
- Craig Forsyth  
- James Collins   1 year + 1 year op. Has earnt his chance
- Darren Robinson  2 year + 1 year op and get him out on loan 
- Tom Barkhuizen   

1 hour ago, Eoghan1884 said:

- Martyn Waghorn
- Joe Wildsmith 3 years 

Mostly agree with you, but laughed out loud at your comment about Hourihane! 

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Mostly agree with you, but laughed out loud at your comment about Hourihane! 

I like him as a lad, but he has been absolutely awful on the pitch since November. Sad to see really but be great to get his wages off the bill.

1 minute ago, Eoghan1884 said:

I like him as a lad, but he has been absolutely awful on the pitch since November. Sad to see really but be great to get his wages off the bill.

I agree. Good to see him still supporting and encouraging the team from the touchline, though. 

Hope he does well in his coaching role at Villa. 

Why are people all or nothing nowadays?

Yes, Hourihane naturally struggles to get around the pitch like he used to and needs the right balance of players around him but has he made an important contribution this season?

8th best for assists in the league. Top ten on chances created. 6 goals (including a brilliant last minute winner against Burton)

Yes, he has made an important contribution.

I'd go full Football Manager on the squad and let them all go. 

Put the scouting budget and any transfer budget into the wage budget and sign loads of free agents.

Then ask for a stadium extension and a senior affiliate club that I will loan their best youth players from for free.

All will be well when the team cohesion starts to blend and they get used to my all out attack gegen press tactics.

11 minutes ago, Norman said:

I'd go full Football Manager on the squad and let them all go. 

Put the scouting budget and any transfer budget into the wage budget and sign loads of free agents.

Then ask for a stadium extension and a senior affiliate club that I will loan their best youth players from for free.

All will be well when the team cohesion starts to blend and they get used to my all out attack gegen press tactics.

Silly.

Sibley has just won Championship POTY in our first season up there for me. 

1 hour ago, inter politics said:

Why are people all or nothing nowadays?

Yes, Hourihane naturally struggles to get around the pitch like he used to and needs the right balance of players around him but has he made an important contribution this season?

8th best for assists in the league. Top ten on chances created. 6 goals (including a brilliant last minute winner against Burton)

Yes, he has made an important contribution.

Sadly take away set pieces and he’s done next to nothing. As I’ve said I like Hourihane. But he simply is not good enough to play high end league one anymore. He looked decent pre Christmas but since then he’s been probably our worst performer, bar lads who’ve got back from injury.

6 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Sadly take away set pieces and he’s done next to nothing. As I’ve said I like Hourihane. But he simply is not good enough to play high end league one anymore. He looked decent pre Christmas but since then he’s been probably our worst performer, bar lads who’ve got back from injury.

I agree. He has struggled in open play as the season has progressed, most likely due to an injury but set pieces are rather important, particularly in a Warne team.

2 minutes ago, inter politics said:

I agree. He has struggled in open play as the season has progressed, most likely due to an injury but set pieces are rather important, particularly in a Warne team.

They are important, but as we’ve seen with Sibley, Bird and NML you can be good in play and over a dead ball. Carrying a player just so they can cross in a few balls and take a penalty should we get one isn’t worth it. 

-Liam Thompson  2 years + 1 year op
- Louie Sibley  2 years + 1 year op
- Martyn Waghorn 
- Dwight Gayle  1 year - dependent on fitness assessment 
- Joe Wildsmith  2 years - If he actually wants to stay at the club 
- Conor Hourihane   a very good player, past his prime now
- Korey Smith  1 year for depth
- Craig Forsyth   
- James Collins  the club will probably offer JC a contract, but I don't see as a Ch'ship player 
- Scott Loach  get a young lad as third choice 
- Darren Robinson  3 year + 1 year op and get him out on loan 
- Tom Barkhuizen  1 year 

I'd certainly give James Collins another deal. He has done well for us this season. Especially if we play two up top next season we will need some depth up top and he is a work horse who fits in well with the system. Collins, Gayle and a young centre foward would be ideal. Plus the likes of NML.